Hi yea I was wondering I don't know how people can get tapping to work for bass...when I do it it just makes a little dull pop instead a smooth toned tapping noise that I hear from like Les Claypool and Ryan Martinie and such...can anyone give me some tips...is my amp (crate bp25) or bass Ibanez GSR205 and Yamaha 4 string something.....and help appreciated! thx :
push hard with your right hand, use two fingers if you had too to get a good clean hit....if thats what u mean.
practice arpeggios on lower frets(preferrably 2-9). then when you think you are confident enough, slowly move on to higher frets. lower frets are generally easier to tap and produce clear sounds so yeah.
haha...
Quote by mong12345
playtypus you save the day again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah. keep at it. for me, it was i kept trying to do them and then one day i was like ahah, i figured it out. keep at it. keep all your fingers flexible. doing tapping with like notes on the 2 strings is good at first. but then try and expand to arpeggios and chords. theory will really help you at making riffs with tapping. like if you are doing the A major ionian position which the valid notes for are the 12th and 14th fret on the A string, 11th,12th, and 14th fret on the D string and 11th,13th, and 14th fret on the G string, you will know that the 9th,11th, and 12th frets on the A string are valid notes as well being that they are an octave lower than the G strings valid notes. hope that doesn't confuse you any lol. it prob does. but yeah, just practice on tapping at least 20 mins a day and it'll become easier and easier as you progess.

it is also a good warmup, as everday i practice scales for about 15 mins, then tap for like 10-20 mins and then it really gets your fingers warmed up too.
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
hey thx for the info I'm going to start paracticing...thx a bunch
anyone got a good starter song for tappping? I've been doing some drills for a couple of weeks and fancy a little song to learn now.. Nothing hard!!
Anyone know some good exercises for building up left-handed tapping strength? I can play Jerry Was a Race Car Driver fine, but the lower stuff that you tap with the left hand isn't nearly as loud as it should be.
-----------------12-----------------12--------------12---
-----------12-------------------12--------------12--------
------7---------------------5----------------3-------------
--5----------------------3----------------1----------------

Do this endlessly, slowly and just hammer on hard !
I assume there should be L L R R above those notes for left/right hand?
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
jerry was a racecar driver-primus?

Beginner !

When i learn, i dont learn an advanced song at quarter speed.. i learn a song for my level..

Anyone? I know tapping is an advanced technique for bass, but there must be some easy tapping lines..

Quote by MX4Life
I assume there should be L L R R above those notes for left/right hand?

prize for this man !

You can also move the 12's down to 10's and 9's
Last edited by Applehead at Jul 23, 2006,
Quote by Applehead
-----------------12-----------------12--------------12---
-----------12-------------------12--------------12--------
------7---------------------5----------------3-------------
--5----------------------3----------------1----------------

Do this endlessly, slowly and just hammer on hard !

Thanks.
I learned Jingle Bells piano tapping style - It's quite fun - here -

------------------------12-----------------
-14-14-14--14-14-14--14----10---12/14------
-3---------3---------3----------3----------
-------3---------3---------3----------3----

----------------------------------------12--
-15-15-15-1515-14-14---14-12-12/14-12-------
-------3----3----------3-----------3--------
-1----------------3----------3----------3---

Obviously the D and G strings are right hand work, and the E and A are left hand work.

I think tabbed like this should make the coordiantion of the hands considerably easier than when I was learning it. Sounds very impressive!

Anyone know of any more piano tapping type songs?
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Last edited by Yertle at Jul 23, 2006,
Only the obvious Stu Hamm version of Beethovens "Moonlight" Sonata

Jingle Bells is actually quite fun !
It is! It is!

And Moonlight Sonata doesn't cut it for me, just doesn't sound busy enough to satisfy. I'm off to browse Active bass lessons, I guess.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
jerry was a racecar driver aint as hard as it looks actually, just break it down n take it slow
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Try DMV by Primus, i just did the tapping pattern all day at school on desks and got it pretty fast

at least have a look a Dream Theatre songs, even if you're not going to practice them. I'm workng on Metropolis: Part 1 right now
The Space Farmer and Co-Founding Bastardo of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
I agree with the above post. DMV is the first tapping bassline I ever learned... I'd try that one first, it's not too tough at all.
Fury- Breathe in deep, and cleanse away our sins
And we'll pray that there's no God
To punish us, and make a fuss

Chalking up the frequent loser miles day by day.
Quote by Applehead
Beginner !

When i learn, i dont learn an advanced song at quarter speed.. i learn a song for my level..

Anyone? I know tapping is an advanced technique for bass, but there must be some easy tapping lines..

prize for this man !

You can also move the 12's down to 10's and 9's

Jerry was a Racecar Driver, is an easy song, because the two hands play groups of notes one after the other, rather than synchronized in a polyphonic manner.

It's not that hard, unless your bass doesn't have the range that you need for it. I nailed it almost instantly when I first got my six string.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
^ooooo lucky i'm currently looking for a 5 or six string.

O.T. -> what in God's name is your avatar
The Space Farmer and Co-Founding Bastardo of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
OK, so when you tap, who here uses their pinky (right hand i mean, not fretting hand)?
Quote by Applehead
OK, so when you tap, who here uses their pinky (right hand i mean, not fretting hand)?

I try to, mainly for double stops, but it's kinda weak.
ok, so new tapping question.. how do you tap an open string? am i correct in saying you could use your thumb on your right hand? or slap it?
Quote by synths
Hi yea I was wondering I don't know how people can get tapping to work for bass...when I do it it just makes a little dull pop instead a smooth toned tapping noise that I hear from like Les Claypool and Ryan Martinie and such...can anyone give me some tips...is my amp (crate bp25) or bass Ibanez GSR205 and Yamaha 4 string something.....and help appreciated! thx :

dude u got the GSR205 i was gonna get that! , but i went to my local music store and i saw the EBD400 i know it was like twice as much, but i got my dad to pay half lol, i like the ibanez bass they design all their own parts. the out put has a habit of coming lose it has done it like 30 in the last 6 days lol, im quite interested in bass tapping so i will shut up now and read he damn thread
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Applehead

I've only been tapping for a month or two, so I'm not that great, but I'm learning with all four right hand fingers and paying extra attention to my weaker ones (i.e. my pinky). It's still relatively weak and I find it difficult to move it with much independance but I can get the same quality sound of the notes produced as with my other fingers.