Typically I use a standard 1/4 size. lol. Ok, seriously, it really depends on how much you move on stage, and how far away you need to be from your amp. I'd say most people need about a 20 ft. cable for playing live. But some people, like my bass player, stand right in front of their amp the entire show, so he only uses a 6 ft. cable.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
well of course it depends on what your doing, if its a relatively small stage, and ur gonna be stationary mostly, get a cable that has about 5 ft. of slack between where u are gonna be and ur amp, if ur gonna be runnin 'round, get a longer one, just be srue not to trip
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
35 feet no more than 50 even 20 is fine if it's smaller
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
depends how far you want to wander from your amp. if you move around alot get a longer one, i would give you a size but i dont know how much you would move around. 10 metre?
Quote by wambulance
ok say you wanna jump in the crown with the guitar still on. lol

Wireless is the way to go. Haha
Search MusiciansFriend, they're somewhere on there
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
yeah, if ur gonna jump in the crowd with it, more than likely cable size aint gonna matter after your guitar ends up looking like a mazwell house coffee can after the moshers are done with it. look on the bright side however, those bruised under your eyes will match your brand new tin can
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
ive got a 20 foot cable and a 10 foot cable. the 10 foot cable runs from my amp to pedal board, and the 20 foot cable from my pedal board to my guitar. so a 20 or 30 foot should be fine.
Realistically, you're not going to be moving around a rediculous amount. If you've got a solo, you're not going to be bouncing off the walls. If you're playing rhythm, your first concern should be keeping rhythm. If you're on UG, you're not going to be playing on a stage big enough to move on anyway.

Also if you have a pedal board you're subconsciously not going to want to move from it. Most players that get into it (while still staying musical) stay within a certain radius of themselves. Even metal players just walk to either side of the mic stand and make faces at the crowd so it looks like they're moving a lot. Watch Vai or Gilbert on YouTube, they actually don't move very far.

All you really need is enough so you have slack. More will never hurt though. If you get to the point where you have to buy 50 ft. cable just get a wireless system. I own a 10, 20, and 30. I use the 20 for my amp to pedalboard and then the 10 from board to my guitar (with 3 inches between). I've only had to use the 30 once, but I always keep it in my bag.