Does anyone know how you go about screaming/growling like a rock star? Like how AFI screams. Listen to some of their old stuff to know what I am talking about. Or listen to Miss Murder in one part he like growl/screams. How do you do that???? I just became the lead singer of my new band and need to know.

Please help me. Don't give me crap about how I am an idiot for asking this because people already have, I can't find anything. Thanks in advance.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Seriously man, I mean like there has to be like a technique or something.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
it just has to come to you. Get the feel of the music and then scream. Hope it comes out right. Its just like singing, practice makes perfect!
live to play live
it also takes a lot of time to build up a good one. i've been screaming for a year now i think. it's getting pretty good. basically what they'veall been saying... just scream to your favorite tunes until you think you've got something.

on the note of afi, listen to kill caustic on the new cd. it's track 2. there's a lot more screaming on that one than miss murder. davey's a good screamer.
Thanks, does it help if u have a deep voice, cause i do
If you have a deep voice, it will probably be easier to do the lower end (growls) than high screams, but you'll just have to practice to get a good range and good power.

It really helps to breathe in deeply and kinda scream whilst pushing the air out really forcefully.
ok this is probably the weirdest question I have ever asked but have u ever seen The Grudge? Do you know the sound the girl makes thats sort of like a growl? I can do that, is it sort of like doing that or am I a complete idiot?
i wouldnt advise you to scream like davey....yes, he sounds good...but he was screaming wrong and it messed up his vocal cords and he was out for a long while
No jazzmetalguitar, Davey's OLD screaming wasn't doing him favours (although being a punk band's lead singer for 10 years won't do anyone any good). His new screaming is refined.

Please, threadstarter, don't take the advice of anyone on here. You'll damage yourself, simple as that. Get a singing teacher, or at least buy www.melissacross.com 's DVD.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest