I don't know if this is the right forum for it or not, but I've been listening to a fair bit of "Latin" music. As it happens, there seems to be much in the way of absolutely no information about Latin styles in the lessons or features on this website. Being poor means I can't really afford to go out and pay for a pile of theory books on it and so on.

I'm just asking for some info on the basic structure, common rhythms and chord progressions, scales/modes for soloing, etc, of Latin music in general.

I'm trying to expand my knowledge of genres I don't usually play, or know nothing about, and Latin music seems to be the one that nobody writes about.

::Edit:: I'm a bass guitarist, but I know my theory and can play guitar well enough to know what you mean if you're explaining things from a guitar point of view, so don't think I'm only after info for bassists
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Jun 10, 2006,
I'm completely going off Chick Corea's Spain, but it seems like rhythmically they are using a lot of triplets.

And if you haven't heard Spain, for shame

-SD
I have heard Spain, and I do understand Chick Corea is a god

I can hear triplets in there, yeah.

Bangoodcharlotte: Just what percussion are they using? I could imagine a lot of traditional Spanish, etc. instruments.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Bangoodcharlotte
Who is that?

I think they use a lot of conga drums and maracas and random other stuff! If you really want to get serious about percussion, go to a music store and mess around with all the random things.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jun 11, 2006,
Use the phrygian mode. And on top of that, try using a minor 5th chord... (ex: Emaj to Amin)

As for percussion, lots of shakers and stuff.

Most of all, try to zone in to a world where you're surrounded by some random dudes in sombreros playing all sorts of instruments you've never heard of, like that one huge guitar-looking thing. What the hell is that? I don't know, but it's part of the atmosphere, man!

Really I don't know anything about this stuff, but when I try playing things this way it just sounds Latin.
Last edited by pratt121 at Jun 11, 2006,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That can be good, but it often ends up sounding too dark and Arabic. You have to be careful with Phrygian.

Yeah, but over the right chords it can sound great.

Obviously the "feel" is much more important than the technical stuff behind that feel.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That can be good, but it often ends up sounding too dark and Arabic. You have to be careful with Phrygian.

I had also found the phrygian to be rather too dark for the feel I get from Latin music.
Phrygian can work though; I just played a Latin song where the main progression was along the lines of Dm, Eb, Dm, Am. Which D Phrygian could certainly be used over (the only sketchy part is the E in Am, but other than that it fits).

There is a rhythm in Latin music called al pardido or something... except I never get the spelling right on the last word, so I can't look it up. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, let me know so I can write it down lol.