Hey all,

At the moment, I'm torn between buying either:
1) Martin DC-16RGTE AURA
2) Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway

the Gibson is about 200$ more than the Martin. Any opinions?

70% of the time I'm playing not plugged in, and I'm looking for something decent for performance.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
gibson
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
You should of put this on the Acoustic Guitar Forum..

MARTIN HANDS DOWN

Martin produces literally amazing Acoustic guitars
Do you know many musicians that use acoustic Gibsons?

I've only seen celebrities with them

And most musicians for acoustic go with a Taylor or Martin.....Check out Taylor guitars too

For around 15 hundred and up your definantly Giving Taylors and Martins a look

The gibson songwriter is an awesome guitar but your paying that extra 200 for the name
And the Martin is going to be better anyway

Martin has a freaking legacy in Acoustic Guitars lol
Gibson doesn't really.....theyre more electric
Gibson SG Special Faded

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amp

Squier Acoustic starter pack
I put this on the Guitar Gear section, but someone told me to put it on this one, so I am =) :

At the moment, I'm torn between buying either:
1) Martin DC-16RGTE AURA
2) Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway

the Gibson is about 200$ more than the Martin. Any opinions?

70% of the time I'm playing not plugged in, and I'm looking for something decent for performance.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Martin is really nice i have the D-16gt great great bass, sounds amazing, she sings. id go with a J45 if your going gibson. One of the best sounding acoustic on the market.
Quote by MastaBassist10
I find Martins to be muffled and too bassy, so I would go with the Gibson, I love their acoustics.

ummm, idk, it kind of depends, im played some seriously clear and crisp martins.... but with acoustics you really have play the actual one youre going to be buying because they change so much...
If your not plugged in usually, why not just get an acoustic and just use a microphone near the guitar for when you want louder sound?
definately GIBSON..
"I know I can never be enough to replace your whatever. Now everything is silent, everything is still without you near..."
-SPONGE COLA
I most of you guys have never played a Gibson or a Martin acoustic, and just say Gibson because you're just another ****ty bedroom guitarist lusting over a Les Paul.

Now with that over with, both are excellent, IMO on this sort of thing you just need to try them out so you get the feel for each instruments intricacies. I'd be in a total fix over the issue on what to get myself.

*Moved to Acoustic forum*
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I did manage to go to Guitar Center for a little bit and play them both, and these are my opinions:

Gibson
Has a really warm sound, I like it alot. The neck is wider than the Martin's, and I don't like that, but I feel like its something I will get used to. The string tension is a little higher and I'm afraid of my hands getting tired, but that is something I probably should get used to.

Martin
Has a different sound, not sure how to explain it, but I like it as well (Not as much though). It feels like an easier play.

What i had heard about the gibson is that it is extremely durable and it will last me the rest of my life, haha. My main issue with it is the string tension (though its not much more) and the wider neck (i like to reach around the neck and use my thumb fairly often).

As of now my question is whether or not I can get used to the Gibson, and if I can, I'm going to pick that.

Thanks for the help guys, going to check it out at GuitarCenter a few more times, and as of now I'm probably going with the Gibson.

(you can close the thread if you like)
I think most people are jaded by the Gibson name....personally, I really haven't played one where I'm like "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE ONE" where as with Martin, Taylor, and a few other brands I've been able to say so. As I like to say to people who want to buy Ibanez acoustics...Take the name of the headstock and decide whether you would want to buy it...and in this case pay 2k!

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by Kollarism
If your not plugged in usually, why not just get an acoustic and just use a microphone near the guitar for when you want louder sound?

Because when you spend $2000 on a guitar, the pickup is usually better then micing it, even if you're only playing that way part of the time.

Gear:
I'm not sure exactly what you meant, but (if it is what I interpreted it as) I went into the store intending to look at the Martins and Taylors, and another customer was playing this and I loved the sound, so I tried it out.

As for the strings, I think I may restring with lighter gauge strings to see if that will help. Hopefully the bass response wont be affected.

If you have anything else to say, I'd love to hear it, as my mind isnt completely made up yet, but its not necessary =] Thanks!
Whenever you buy a new guitar punchupatatigge, you should always get it setup afterwards. "String Tension" should never be a factor once you're buying a guitar. Most of the guitars you're playing are factory set-up and haven't been tinkered with. String Height can always be fixed after buying.
Thanks badtzwang, that seems like a tip I'm definitely going to keep in mind =] I'd never gotten this far into a guitar in my life. I'm jumping from a Washburn that costed about 110$ at the moment.

And I'd heard that the action can be adjusted, wasnt sure how, but I'll manage. Thanks!
^-- actually if you're buying a guitar in that price range... you should have the store set it up before you buy it. you shouldn't have to throw 2 grand at guitar center and then take the guitar and spend 50 more dollars getting it set up. if you ask them to do it, they should.

and as for which guitar.... i'd say save up another hundred bucks or so and get a martin d-28.... i can't really make a choice between the two you listed as i've only played one of those before.
Quote by T_R_A_P_T
I'd get the Gibson, it looks better quality.

If you're paying 2000 bucks, it'd better be high qualiity! I don't think thats a good arguement.

Gear:
I haven't played the martin but I thought the gibson sounded really good when I played it once. If I could buy the gibson I probably would. I have also heard that adjusting the action on the gibson make bad buzzing sounds when playing it. The one I tried out though was really good and I had no problems with it.
Quote by guitarplayer70
I haven't played the martin but I thought the gibson sounded really good when I played it once. If I could buy the gibson I probably would. I have also heard that adjusting the action on the gibson make bad buzzing sounds when playing it. The one I tried out though was really good and I had no problems with it.

you can adjust the action on any guitar to make it buzz really bad.... another irrelevant point... no offense intended
The Martin by far. Gibson acoustics are very overpriced. With Martin, you'll get the quality you should get for that kind of money.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i'm also stuck between basically the same two guitars:
Gibson songwriter deluxe w/ cutaway for 1700-1900
and Martin dc-16GTE Premium for 1500

any thoughts?
Quote by Kartman
The Martin by far. Gibson acoustics are very overpriced. With Martin, you'll get the quality you should get for that kind of money.

way true... just because gibsons name is on it, shoots the price up more than it should be... agreed with you all the way...
I dunno, its a tough choice, good luck on it.

Honestly, I liked the warm sound of the Gibson alot more.

Plus, Gibson has been a standard for quality in a guitar for years, so it really isnt just a name.
^-- glad you like it! pictures?

EDIT: just in case you didn't know... gibson has a giveaway for the first 1000 people in the US to register an instrument warranty online at their website. chances are probably pretty good that it's too late for you, but give it a shot! i read about it here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Songwriter-Deluxe-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=517047
Last edited by jimtaka at Jun 20, 2006,
Quote by jimtaka
^-- glad you like it! pictures?

EDIT: just in case you didn't know... gibson has a giveaway for the first 1000 people in the US to register an instrument warranty online at their website. chances are probably pretty good that it's too late for you, but give it a shot! i read about it here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Songwriter-Deluxe-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=517047

Ahh, thanks! I think I will go check that out.

As soon as I can get a hold of a digital camera, I'll upload some pictures for you all... but not sure how long it will take. =P

As far as the warranty registration goes, I'm not sure how to do it =P I bought it through GuitarCenter, so I think I'd have to go through them. If you know how it works, please let me know, hehe.
For that kind of money I would get a guitar and then buy an aftermarket pickup later. The only guitar I like the onboard electronics are the taylors. Do yourself a favor and get a nicer guitar now and a pickup later.