forgive me, I'm a newb and these questions might seem pretty easy to some of you

but what is the purpose of adding a base cabinet to a half stack to make a full stack? in other words, 8 - 12" speakers?

If you have a head, for example a Marshal TSL100, that supplies 100 watts.. what does adding extra speakers do? is it a variable of tone, loudness or something else?

How tall are half stacks anyway? pretty tall right?

When does anyone actually need that extra cab?
when your palying large gigs and to look cool. all it does is i think it just projects your sound farther and maybe makes it sound fuller. but if your playin large gigs theres probobly alreeady a pa system so in reality a full stack is just to look cool.

full stacks at about the height of an average man. not shur exactly
well the cab on the floor will be bassier, while the slant cab on top will have more treble. more speakers so more air is being pushed.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
when you have more speakers, does the volume per speaker decrease relative to when you have less speakers but all at the same volume on the amp?

in other words, do you have to turn the amp up higher to make it sound the same when you add speakers?

just from my basic physics knowledge (damn this stuff degrades fast), if they're wired in parallel they shouldn't need more power right?
nobody needs a full stack.

nobody.

but it gives you more volume due to more surface area of speakers that you have...thus more sound is travelling...blah blah blah
Quote by SeraphSlaughter

nobody.

but it gives you more volume due to more surface area of speakers that you have...thus more sound is travelling...blah blah blah

What if i said that i needed one? .............................Well i don't NEED one but i wouldn't mind having one.
^ well that's not the same thing then is it?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
A full stack is complete overkill. A half stack can be overkill depending on your situation. I'm compromising with myself and I'm buying a 4x12 and a 2x12. I'd use the 2x12 for home practice and worship, use the 4x12 for band practice and use both at gigs.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
The only difference is that a full stack looks cooler. It might make the tiniest bit of sonic difference, but if you're buying a full stack, you probably won't notice it.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by GnRRockingaway
^ or rather if your buying a full stack, you wont notice it because you wont be able to hear!

Youll be able to hear the first couple of minutes just before your eardrums burst but if you got good earplugs youll be ok
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Youll be able to hear the first couple of minutes just before your eardrums burst but if you got good earplugs youll be ok

Earplugs won't help. My 100 watt 1x12 hurts when I turn it up, even with Earplugs. I'd hate to see what an 8x12 does.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
not me i put in ear plugs and it makes everything great
How do you guys get so much ear ringing from playing? I went to a concert with 5 bands last night...all playing super loud. Everyones ears were ringing except mine. Does that mean i have stronger ears or ive been to too many concerts and i have hearing loss?
If a full stack falls on you, you are screwed!! But if a half stack falls on you, you only lose your legs.
LIVERPOOL FC
Not the steal the topic, but can anyone reccomend me some earplugs? I'm planning on buying a DSL50 or Single Recto (I finally ruled out the XXX... as good as it is for high gain, I just kinda ruled it out) and using my 2x12 combo as a cab be rewiring it.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by SeraphSlaughter

nobody.

nobody NEEDS one...you can get away with a 10watt combo at a large gig.

to me its a matter of how good you want to sound.

what i do is a put one of my cabs on one side of the stage and the other on the opposite. this evens out the sound a whole bunch. plus it makes it sound a lot more full.

but thats just me. like we all say: nobody NEEDS one.
but i say that if you really want to have a good full sound why not?
Quote by xifr
Earplugs won't help. My 100 watt 1x12 hurts when I turn it up, even with Earplugs. I'd hate to see what an 8x12 does.

it wouldnt hurt your ears any more than it would with the 1x12....its still the same volume just theres more air being pushed.
Quote by GnRRockingaway
^ what earplugs you use? with my dsl 50 head i have it at half volume and my ears ring!

I use the ones i used on the gun range. they make normal level playing inaudible but when i crank it to make it loud i hear it great.

What brand they are im not sure they are just yellow thats all i know