Ok heres the deal..........

Now that i have the money i am looking for a new head to replace my old Crate GFX (which i love to death). Iv'e walways wanted a Mesa Dual Rectifier since it's just so fvckin heavy but since i was planning on buying my "NEW" head used i see that Mesa's are a little to pricy still. I have about $800 and maybe $900 but that's pushing it to spend on a new head. Iv'e began to have a change of heart and started looking towards the Marshalls. I took a look at ebay and seen that the JCM900's go around for about $800 and below and i've hear good things about those things but not alot of em.........probably because it's a sterotypical Marshall thing.

Anyone have any experience with a JCM900 100watt Head or even own one?

or

Anyone have other recommendation or suggestions in my price range?

Btw.......My interests in music are more towards the heavy black metal side, think Death, Old Man's Child, Immortal, or even lighter stuff like Metallica, Slayer and what not. I am also in an Alternative band and we play stuff like The Cure, The Bravery in that area and i would also like my cleans close to being served on a silver platter for me if you know what i mean. A nice crunch distortion would be nice for blues and whatnot.

Anything that can get close to those areas of interests? I don't expect for my amp to have distortion for super heavy stuff since ill probably use a Metal Zone or a OD pedal for those.

I know im kinda picky but i think im kinda over doing it........So whatever comes to mind let me know.

ThNks,
Andrew
hm, i'd say go for a peavey 6505 and use a light od over the clean for you alternitive crunch needs.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
in that price range, you're gonna have trouble finding a head that will produce a good sound for all those categories.
what you might wanna do is get a good clean amp. a fender or traynor combo maybe
you're metal tone will suffer for now
but later on, you could get a good metal amp and then A/B the clean amp and your metal amp.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
A new penis head...

The AVTX? I've never heard anything about them, are they any good?

Yeah I say go for the JCM 900, I played one, I thought I was in heaven.
Quote by haveaniceday233
no im not the typical kind of guy who wants to play fall out boy and all that shi*t its pretty gay so no i wouldnt sell out

Quote by hardrock1315
Yeah, selling out totally changes your sexual preference.
i don't think a 900 would be heavy enough.

i'm gonna stick with the 6505/5150 here.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
OK i have a 5150 and i am selling gear to get a JCM 800. So it depends on how you like your tone. im not a big fan of dark gain. and a JCM 800 with a OD pedal sounds unbelieveabley amazing to me. you wont go worng with an 800 but then if you need the extra channel a 900 will work it is amazing as well and it has a tad bit more gain.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by gpderek09
i don't think a 900 would be heavy enough.

i'm gonna stick with the 6505/5150 here.

Well i'll be using a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone to get my Heavy distortion. I absolutley adore the cleans on the JCM900 and i think if the crunch on the amp isnt good enough for my alternative leads then ill probably most likely go fetch out an OD pedal or something. Other than that im kinda sold for the 900.

Anyone else think that im over looking something here?
Would the JCM900 sound good with a MetalZone? Because since it has good cleans it would sound good with a pedal right? or am i wrong?

Ill take a look at the peaveys anyways........just in case
the mt-2 will kill that sweet jcm tone. if you're going all out for good all tube head, make sure you don't spoil it with a metalzone.

the peavey will be great, and i mean absolutly slay juggernaught style, all your death metal needs, the cleans, contrary to popular belief are good, and with a bit of chorus sound great. pair it up with an OD9 over a clean and you've got some grit.

the 900 however, would have a better clean/crucnh. but you'd need still need the OD to get metal.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Silent_Scream1
Anyone familiar with a Carvin Legacy VL100 Steve Vai Head?

I dont no anything about the legacy, but I just bought a carvin v3 yesterday at the carvin store in hollywood. the amp is unbelieave and is a lot cheaper than a mesa tripple rectifier.

You lucky son of a............

Hey you don't live that far from me. I always go to that GC in Hollywood and i was planning on checking out the Mesa, Carvin, and GC this coming weekend.

btw. How much did you get that V3 for? How does it sound?
Quote by Silent_Scream1
You lucky son of a............

Hey you don't live that far from me. I always go to that GC in Hollywood and i was planning on checking out the Mesa, Carvin, and GC this coming weekend.

btw. How much did you get that V3 for? How does it sound?

haha. I got the v3 head for 950 and the fs44 footswitch and a cover for the head. the footswitch had a minor chip on it so he deducted about 30 percent from it. all together with tax the 3 things costed about 1060. It sounds great and is really versatile. It has a lot of gain flexibility if you need it. They have pretty descent soundclips of it on the website.