Ok, so I play the cello and I am extremely proficient at it as I am with the piano.

I found a band, 2 guitarists, 1 bassist and 1 drummer, typical fourpiece band, and I want to join their band.

They said they don't want any extra person UNLESS I play the cello.

So I was wondering how a cello would do in a metal band, somewhat in the alternative metal genre.

How is it? I personally don't think it is very rockable because i can't stand and do all those tricks.

Actually I can stand while I play but its useless.

Comments
No offense, but I would just play another instrument in another band. Or you could go for that Summoning sound and pull something neat off...I don't know...
Cello?

In an alt/metal band?

Gwah?

Maybe if you took those really little drum sticks, and beat on the strings with them, rather than plucking or bowing them, but no, that would only give you like four notes so it would suck too.

Definitely don't play cello in a rock band.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

dont be close minded... as said before... i really like apocaliptica
cello is a great lead instrument...
try it out..
also would work for quiet parts i.e., the guitars are either silent or palm muting and you play whole note double stops for a cool textural effect. and don't waste your energy standing up, apocaliptica looks so stupid doing that...
Actually I want to stand up while I play, I want to rock about and headbang GENTLY, as in, just nodding my head :P
i guess if they didnt have a bassist, but thats just weird. Itd be cool though. Alot of punk bands have a cello instead of a bassist but idk.
Quote by SteveHouse
Cello?
Definitely don't play cello in a rock band.

Definitely do not speak again until you have heard Murder By Death and Cursive.
Quote by DeliriumTrigger
Definitely do not speak again until you have heard Murder By Death and Cursive.

Hm, ok (takes vow of silence).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

murder by death are good. not metal, so perhaps irrelevant to you in some ways, but very very good.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
i think it would be neat. you may need to get an electric cello so the mic(which you will need to be heard) will cause feedback, or something like that. yamaha makes them, i believe.
Invictious:
Actually I want to stand up while I play, I want to rock about and headbang GENTLY, as in, just nodding my head :P

I saw a guy in a wheelchair playing in a metalcore band and that guy headbanged a lot! they were kinda cool! you can sit and headbang at the same time
^this guy's wrong
I play cello and i play guitar in a band, i've never tried playing cello aswell, but theres lots of bands with cellos. So go for it
Thin Lizzy
the guy from blink did it in miss you

or was that double bass? whats a cello?
why do you say it like it is not good to like rap music?

Because if you listen to too much blingage rashes start to develop around your neck and wrists, you get a rare form of touretts and start start saying "fo sho motha-fucka...

cello=about half the size of and, higher pitched than double bass, played sitting down with instrument between your legs.
Dude, **** the norm. If they want you in there playing cello get up there and do it. I think it would rock. Hey, it could be you and the bands thing.

FRIEND 1 Hey let's go watch ________ tonight.
FRIEND 2 Who?
FRIEND 1 That sick ass metal band with the rockin' cello player! Sooo HxC!!!

Really, you would be playing in one of the only unsaturated parts of the music scene.
Ok DeliriumTrigger, I listened to your Cursive and they're alright, I wish the guy wouldn't sing high... ever... but thats a cello you say? As in, rather than bass?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Super Furry Animals uses a cello from time to time...not metal at all though haha.

i dont play it myself, but i listen to a lot of classical music and play a little classical piano. i could imagine a cello working in metal. playing on the lower register, the cello can belch out some beefy tones. forte staccato playing could hang in there with a guitar as well, i love how it sounds on double bass at least. placed in the proper places, even when the song is at full force, dissonant intervals/double stops could be used to create tension. and of course, you could use it for those slow melodic parts, but that'd be kinda cliche and expected of it, so i would personally avoid it when possible. so yeah, i can see it working.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
Last edited by phobos at Jun 14, 2006,
go for it man. I play cello and guitar and i think cello would make a great metal instrument with the right pickups. just don't stand up it will make you look retarded.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

I don't think standing while playing is THAT retarded, actually shows more skill as it is difficult.

I mean, it is boring for you to sit there for the whole gig on the seat, while other people get out and jump around.
Apocalyptica.

Youtube.

keep yourself busy for the next 2 hours.

watch: Nothing else matters, Master of Puppets, Enter Sandman (yes tons of metallica covers lol) and then go on Limewire and download some of their originals: Quutamo (i might have mispelled), The Zelda theme.

and threadstarter, two ironies:

1) i look up to you becaues you play cello, even though you have an embarrasing sig of me

2) i envy your position! i would LOVE to play cello in a metal band! im trying to convince my members tbh!

Im getting a cello real soon. if i could maybe add you on msn or you add me so you can help me with getting the right cello and bow?? (goronbud23 at hotmail)
Yes sure no problem mangablade.

Hehe, my extreme proficiency at cello.. sigh.

I watched Quutamo live, overdubbed the original sound track, but seems pretty cool to stand up and play simultaneously.
Quote by Invictious
Yes sure no problem mangablade.

Hehe, my extreme proficiency at cello.. sigh.

I watched Quutamo live, overdubbed the original sound track, but seems pretty cool to stand up and play simultaneously.

i watched the live thing too, but a video of it, i didnt quite gather if you went there.

was it like the olympics or something? o well.

yeah i was kinda mad about that sound track LOL.
yea i think it was the olympics for that, stupid soundtrack..

I tried it and with the cello spike at max height, it is still shorter than i am (cello is full size and I am around 175cm tall) which makes things a bit trickier.

Anyone know any major cello forums?
dude, go for it...unless theres another band you can play in that wants a piano.. i dunno how much air time a cello is gonna get... but, its always worth it if the band gets a chance to be famous... record deal, cash flow, and all due to this wonderful cello,goodbye my sorrow, goodbye my tears, hello groupies Mr. cello is here.