Do you think I can install a piezo pickup onto the bridge of my cello then plug it into my Roland Cube 30?

Because I am going to join a rock band and I need the amp.

Do I need a preamp?

For your information

the lowest note the cello can achieve is the C 2 octaves below middle C, and the high note, well, lets just say, higher than the range of the guitar.

So i don't think guitar or bass amps will cut it.

Help.
Quote by Invictious
Do you think I can install a piezo pickup onto the bridge of my cello then plug it into my Roland Cube 30?

Because I am going to join a rock band and I need the amp.

Do I need a preamp?

For your information

the lowest note the cello can achieve is the C 2 octaves below middle C, and the high note, well, lets just say, higher than the range of the guitar.

So i don't think guitar or bass amps will cut it.

Help.

Yah, but serioulsy when is the last time you used the highest note on the cello??
(I play upright bass, cello, violin, and viola) and that high note is ugly..

either way..
you should be fine.
My friends and I goof off playing his bass through my guitar amp..
its totally fine (a lot of rumors are that you will break the speakers/amp, you might, but its not as easy as a lot of people say)

eventually though you will want to get like a PA or Monitor and a power amp
and run the cello through that

but for practice and such
the guitar amp will be fine
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
There are no volume knobs of my guitar :P

So I think controlling the thing towards the speakers is uncontrollable, making it suspectible to explosions.

What are some cheap cello pickups?
it should work

I have an old crappy SS amp which I put in the kitchen. I hook up my ipod to it. The response may, however, be bad.

(although I doubt it'd explode)
I think the main concern is the signal level, it will either be too high too low and I'd have no control over it.

Either I can't hear anything or the speakers will explode.

Any CHEAP pickup recommendations?
Yea I looked into them before, their cost is a tad high. I will call a few local music stores and find out.

So there goes the problem of signal level control.

/EDIT: I need a much much more cheaper cello pickups by the way.

Damn man, why do gutiar pickups cost so much less than cello pickups
Last edited by Invictious at Jun 11, 2006,
More people need them? Heh, most cellists stick to acoustic, only a few go to metal and bother getting amlification.

What are some cheap ones? pretty desperate btw
Can you try and find some of those ones used? That's if there are any...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Heh, i don't think they are all that common in HK here, let alone used ones.

And about controlling the signal level...
get a bass amp and a compressor. should help to keep everything to the same level.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Hmm, compressors.. haven't thought of that..

Other than that, I really need a method of controlling the signal input, because it can be too low, or too big (exploding amps )
definetly go bass. i plugged my cello into my 20w guitar amp with a piece of **** pickup and i thought i was going to blow it.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Hmm, too bad my roland cube 30w can't handle it, but are you guys sure that the signal will be fine?

So I don't have to turn it up to max or something, but keeping the usualy settings.

Yes i have asked that many times, but you can never be too sure.
If anything, turn it down the first time you do it.
My gear:
OLP John Petrucci Sig.
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ 112
Cello is tuned in fifths from middle C last time I checked, and drop C is middle C, so there shouldn't be a problem unless you totally crank it.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Guitarists often play cello recordings for a day or two to break in their "stiff" new speakers.
i know a lot of guitarists who love the sound of a bass amp, so dont think that going with a bass amp is a "downgrade" from a guitar amp.

except for the gain/distortion part lol.
about volume control, how about just sticking a volume pedal infront of the amp?
</IMO>
I don't see how signal level will be a problem. If it's too high, just turn the amp down. If it's too low, turn it up. What's the problem?
Quote by JimiMan1535
Cello is tuned in fifths from middle C last time I checked, and drop C is middle C, so there shouldn't be a problem unless you totally crank it.

And last time you checked, you are way off, Middle C is for the viola

For cello, it is 2 OCTAVES BELOW middle C, and they are tuned in STRAIGHT FIFTHS.

Yes, but let's say during a gig, with my amp cranked way up, and the volume is just barely heard over the crowd, then what do I do.