hola compadres!

a few straight-forward questions.

1. what would be some good scales/chords for tech metal? i'm assuming modes mostly, but what else?

2. what are some chords and scales that sound DISTINCTLY jazzy, like even under heavy distortion if you heard it you would know it's a jazz scale.

3. how do i go about switching from mode to mode? i want it to be like playing a scale (such as the pentatonic) with mutliple positions, intead of just one. in other words, i want to be able to play some modes spanning the fretboard, but connected.

if you're wondering, i'm starting a mathcore/techmetal band on the likes of into the moat/psyopus and the such.

any help appreciated!
i heart my 1963 epiphone olympic II.
1. hungarian minor, hirajoshi, diminished are what Nile use. go learn some necrophagist tunes.

2. heavy distortion and jazz chords dont mix too well. but for scale try dorian mode, i guess, but dont take my word on it. listen to some jazz metal such as Atheist and Cynic.

3. it seems you are misguided on what modes are. Modes ARE NOT A SCALE. modes are a SOUND. you dont 'switch' from mode to mode with your fingers, the chords or note played under the mode determine what mode you are in.

for example:

try playing a c major scale while your friend plays an A note on his bass. wait, that sounds like..... Aeolian!

http://lorilinstruth.com/lessons/modes.php#demo
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Modes are derived from what could be called a parent scale, so to link them together is simple (grammar?)

Modes of the major scale:

Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian

So if you're looking at the modes on your guitar neck as a bunch of box formations (a box for ionian, a box for dorian, etc... blech) then you can link the Dorian to the end of the Ionian, the Phrygian to the end of the Dorian, and so forth.

Chords are derived from the modes by taking the 1, 3, 5, and 7 intervals from them. For example, if you take the 1, 3, 5, and 7 of the Ionian mode, you get a major 7 chord. Take the 1, 3, 5, and 7 of the Dorian, and you have a minor 7. Do a little research and get the rest, I'm sure you'll do some learning in the course of this.

To solo over these chords, just use the parent scale. Look, there's a minor 7... what scale do I use? Dorian (or phrygian.. or aeolian sometimes, but let's keep it simple.) because the minor 7 chord comes from the Dorian mode of the Major scale. Simple enough.

Suggested reading: The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine
"I don't know, i was really drunk at the time..."
Last edited by Garou at Jun 11, 2006,