This is pretty simple...what songs do you know that are about a beginner level to start playing by ear, whether its simple chords or slow to moderately speed leads or solos. Preferrably easily heard leads/solos that can be picked out in a short time...nothing too hard because i haven't done this stuff too much. A few little parts here and there of RHCP and a litle bit of Death Cab For Cutie. Um really nothing complicated but if you guys have thing like that kind of style of music it would be really helpful thank you...no GreenDay please or emo cause both of those suck.
Joe Satrian - Crowd Chant, it's a pretty good song to learn by ear you should try it.
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
try wonderful tonight - eric clapton

or maybe some relient k songs. thats the first stuff i ever figured out
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well, Pink Floyd's "Money" is pretty easy. Nice rhythm, easy solo, good learning speed, and it kicks the crap outta what the emo kid at Guitar Center is playing.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

thanks a lot for those...if theres any more keep em comin, im actually the one who kicks the crap outta the emo kid at Guitar Center.
Green Day and...emo in the same sentence? That's just insulting. Just because you don't like Green Day it doesn't mean you should group them with emo. It's just wrong.

As for songs, how about The Ramones? Easy to play, so you'll be able to focus on the sounds a lot more. They're also really easy to figure out if you just listen to the songs. Probably a good start.

Oh, and I agree about the emo kids at GC...Except the ones who work there. They pwn. It's so awesome when they're too busy thinking about razors and crying to notice me take a $3500 Gibson off the wall and start playing it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Learn Californication, easy song few chords and easily heard solo. One of the first songs i ever played.
RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK
i'd take the $199 fender ripoff and smash it over the pussy's head and make off with the gibson but im a klepto so thats just me.
Amped, are you seeing a psychiatrist for these anger issues of yours?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i was but after telling him a few stories of my childhood he broke down and cried and i couldn't help but suffocate him with the sofa pillow, he reminded me of an emo kid.
but thats not the issue here, back to easy songs to play by ear, mostly looking for leads and solos because unless it is a major/minor/powerchord they are a little too complicated for me right now. thanks again.
Quote by KiWiSoJu
Learn Californication, easy song few chords and easily heard solo. One of the first songs i ever played.

i second this, i learned how to play it by ear really easily. only problem i had was the solo, but thats what tabs are for.
Satch - Starry Night, the best song for beginner/amateur and even pros. Teach you a lot of meaning about bends, half bends, stop bends, vibratos, vibrato bends, fast licks. Very good for ear training as you need to achieve the bends/vibrato bends perfectly or semi-perfect. Timing is also crucial, so check it out.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
walk - pantera

even though i usually spend my time figuring out miles davis tunes, which arent that hard
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by Amped
i was but after telling him a few stories of my childhood he broke down and cried and i couldn't help but suffocate him with the sofa pillow, he reminded me of an emo kid.

is it me, or is does this guy come off a little freaky to you?
I don't jump around when I go to shows.
Quote by stratster23
Joe Satriani - Crowd Chant, it's a pretty good song to learn by ear you should try it.

odd, but a quite good idea.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^^he freaks me out a bit too...let's take him out back and beat the **** out of him.
Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom, Beverly Hills, When I Come Around

any of those are good.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

yeah i was thinking more stuff along the lines of like rhcp or train or matchbox twenty or goo goo dolls and stuff but thanks for those i might give one or two a try
Quote by suckasucks
tenacious D - one note song. lol

lol
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

yeah i actually got that one already...tenacious d rocks...not so much that song though
haha only song ive figured out is Scotty doesn't know from eurotrip hahah i love that song
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
yeah that would be a pretty cool song to cover, are there tabs for that anywhere?
Quote by kurt_cobain9
When I Come Around

He said No Green Day..... buit i like them, its just he requested to not have it.
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Quote by Amped
yeah that would be a pretty cool song to cover, are there tabs for that anywhere?

I dont think there are.... I ve looked.....besides my name IRL is scott, so hats why i find it funny.
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Well some stuff thats quite easy to paly and many people recognise:
Smoke On The Water
Iron Man
Californiacation
Stairway To Heaven
T.N.T
Back In Black
Hells Bells
*insert other AC/DC song*
Sunshine Of Your Love
Purple Haze
Wind Cries Mary
Satisfaction
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Amped
i'd take the $199 fender ripoff and smash it over the pussy's head and make off with the gibson but im a klepto so thats just me.

na you should use a les paul to smash they are alot heavyer
witchcraft,woman,dimension, just remember when playing these by ear, they use 5,7, and 9 on the fret board alot
by the way here you go
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
In my opinion, angry kids are worse than emos.. So what, emo kids cry.. they do it alone in their room, it's not always in public. I find threatening people and acting all badass more annoying than acting like a pussy. -.-

Try anything by Lit, I could figure out a good majority of almost all their songs when I first started playing by ear.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language