thanks for looking guys!

well, whats the difference between them?

head

Amp

im only making a guess but does it have to do with say, the head is only for like a stack but the amp is for the whole system or sumit?

thanks
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
no idea! iv always played with combos except the odd time on some of my mates amps! sorry mate.......some1 help him, it would help us 2!
Pottsy
I'm new to guitar stuff so I've never seen anything like the 2nd pic
says EL34 so I'm guessing it has something to do with tubes

a head is an amp.. just with no speakers
The first is a preamp and a poweramp. The second is only a poweramp. You need a preamp hooked up to it.
Famous ones?. . .

Yeah, they're poweramp tubes, I don't what you mean by famous. A lot of people use them . . .
so you can buy seperate pre-amps, is ther an advantage having one over a head?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Just that you can get a sound you want if it's not offered by the major brands.

Like you could use a Marshall preamp with a Mesa poweramp, and get a different tone than you'd get with a JCM or a Dual Rec.
Aye, it allows you to mix different companies and attain a more unique sound. I've heard that they don't perform as well as a head in live gigs, but eh. . .

Poweramps are also used to run different setups live. For example, having a head and a stero poweramp would allow you to run a wet/dry/wet setup.
Quote by Mascot
Aye, it allows you to mix different companies and attain a more unique sound. I've heard that they don't perform as well as a head in live gigs, but eh. . .

Poweramps are also used to run different setups live. For example, having a head and a stero poweramp would allow you to run a wet/dry/wet setup.

Yeah, apparrently they don't sound as good as actual heads, which you'd expect, considering a head is engineered to work well with itself. With a rack setup you gain versitility, but lose tone.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
you dont lose tone with racks. I had one, and i have a head now. just as good.

an amp is anything that makes your guitar louder...so basically a pre+power+speaker.

a head is the pre-power section of the amp.

you can divide, mix, match, whatever...
A head is the pre-power section?

Have you gigged large stadiums where you have to crank your rack system?
i think he means a head is both the pre amp and power amp in one "compact" package.