Page 1 of 7
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
I was thinking about it the other day...

Will any of us from the Shred Forum make it as a professional shredder, having a recording contract, maybe even a signature guitar? As the majority of the regulars here seem to be around 15-18, there's definitely a chance, isn't it?

It's cool to think that after 3-5 years when we see someone from here on guitar magazine or something like that, we could say that "Yeah, that's guy from UG's Shred Forum."

So, what are your thoughts?
Archaon
Minister of Sin
324 IQ
I wish luck to all of you and I do sincerely hope some if not all of you make it. Unfortunately my dad has forced me into business and told me to give up on music as a career choice, I really have no say in my future. Though, this doesn't mean I won't write and record my own music and possibly even have a band on the side.

Quote by flamencogod
I don't think so... and I'm not pessimistic, I'm realistic

there are thousands of people like UG

Sadly, it's true. It's all about being at the right place at the right time. There are definately people here that deserve to make it though.
idiot82510
im not 'that guy'
61 IQ
idk
i guess im pretty good for 6 months and if i keep it up ill have a chance but i dont really think i will
Quote by Adam_G
I think it's appropriate for you to walk outside and get some sunlight and maybe a life

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl annoying me on the bus.
Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"
Her:"What??! Noo!"
Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."
Four Symbols
J1mmy P4g3 2.0
705 IQ
Quote by Archaon
I wish luck to all of you and I do sincerely hope some if not all of you make it. Unfortunately my dad has forced me into business and told me to give up on music as a career choice, I really have no say in my future. Though, this doesn't mean I won't write and record my own music and possibly even have a band on the side.

Sadly, it's true. It's all about being at the right place at the right time. There are definately people here that deserve to make it though.

DUDE... don't ever give up on music if you genuniely love it... It's YOUR life, so you ultimately have the say as to how you want to live it.
Hong Siah
prawntheman
232 IQ
Quote by Archaon

Tough luck. It's your future you should have a say. Parents shouldn't manipulate their children's lives.

For me, no hope. But I'd love to get into the music biz and earn my reputation as a guitar god. But..meh. I suck.
Quote by shredbeyndshred
thanx man you rule hong siah

Quote by Scourge
thanks, Hong Siah... now im gonna have nightmares about my balls being ripped apart while in mid fall from a building window.

#47 member of Alter Bridge Rocks club
#40 member of The Linkin Park Rocks Club
MiniMusicMasta
UG Member
509 IQ
There was a guy who claimed he went pro as a 'punk rocker' who posted on here a while a go. He said his band got big and we should shut up and listen. So i did shut up and listen and i thought...

WHO IS THIS GUY HE COULD BE ANY BODY?

Any way if he reads this, i would like to tell him hes a big headed loud mouth who should shut up!

Thanks

ps: yeah it would be awesome
Archaon
Minister of Sin
324 IQ
Quote by Hong Siah
Tough luck. It's your future you should have a say. Parents shouldn't manipulate their children's lives.

For me, no hope. But I'd love to get into the music biz and earn my reputation as a guitar god. But..meh. I suck.

Yea, but I respect my dad enough for working his ass off his whole life so I will go into business for his sake. We went from low class to upper middle class because of everything he's done, he may be an ass at times but hey, "daddy knows best".

Maybe if I manage to get rich quick I could retire and spend the rest of my life 100% focused on music.
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
There's one person here that I really think could do it, if he could be arsed.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
madpickin03
Higher than ever
1,432 IQ
No offence but i doubt it
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by Prophet of Page
There's one person here that I really think could do it, if he could be arsed.

Hmm...
curtis loew
I love acid.
1,449 IQ
do you mean pro or famous? many people on here will be pro, they might not become famous, but they will go pro
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
I'd love to go pro as in famous, for me it's either psychiatry or musician...

But tbh I don't think I'm anywhere near good enough, but people on here could walk it quite easily.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
paddyo
?
340 IQ
I plan to become a music teacher anyways so anything on top of that(besides regular gigging and jamming bands etc.) would be a bonus. Huge bonus.
/sort of off topic

Idk,Public Property if he realised he was good for half a second,Fp and Pookoo for creativeniss(sp?) and Strat/Resi from what I've heard for compositions from them.....IN a perfect world. Being honest? Probably none of us.

Fucking public who dislike shred!
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
To be honest, I think everyone on here has a legitimate shot of making money through music. It's really not that difficult. Practically anyone with rock-solid chops can make a shred album. It's just a matter of becoming famous that's hard. Look at Rusty Cooley. Nobody knows him. He's an underground shredder. WE know him, because we look for him, but he's not making millions off of his music. Someone like Steve Vai, with signature guitars/pedals/amps/etc, worldwide tours, big record labels, and whatnot obviously makes much more money and is much more popular. Nevertheless, Rusty makes money off of his music and he was fortunate enough to become endorsed (I think.) I would be perfectly happy to make some cash on the side and get free equipment. Sure, it'd be excellent to become a huge name like Vai or Satch, but the chances of that are much smaller.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Why does everyone have this glorified image of being a "pro"?

I'd rather work as a session guitarist, work in a studio, do whatever... Than be famous.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by Resiliance

I'd rather work as a session guitarist, work in a studio, do whatever... Than be
famous.

My thoughts exactly.
paddyo
?
340 IQ
Quote by Resiliance

I'd rather work as a session guitarist, work in a studio, do whatever... Than be famous.

Agreed. Stuff like that I'd imagine proves to be just as,if not more rewarding as "making it". TOuring big time like the kind Vai does would still rock though...
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
splice
crank that jessie jackson
175 IQ
im going to berklee.....then coming back home to be a guitar teacher

as long as i can live off of playing guitar im happy
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Keep in mind that Steve Vai is one lucky bloke. He established his fan base already in the 80's when he played with DLR, FZ and in Whitesnake. Now he has loyal fanbase and he can put out records without worriying too much about how they're gonna sell. That's pretty much my ideal future.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Quote by Resiliance

Exactly what I was saying. It'd be fine to be famous, but the odds aren't in your favor, so I'd just settle for making albums on the side.

^^Or being a guitar teacher on the side would be sweet too.

But I'm probably going to make my living off of working with 3-D stuff on computers.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

im_hungry
UG Board King
820 IQ
i always thought it'd be cool to be in a guitar dou or something like that , but i suck
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by apocalypse13
But I'm probably going to make my living off of working with 3-D stuff on computers.

Maya ftw.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Huh?

Sorry, I'm not educated on it yet. But for the next 2 years, I'll be taking an in-depth CAD class at a tech school. Then, I'll be taking it in college.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Hehe... Maya 3D...

Used to make movies like Finding Nemo etc...

Click.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Ah, sweet.

What I would be happiest to do is design video games. (Even better would be to test them)
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Better start practicing 3Dsmax then

Click.
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
I hope to do something in music... guitar teacher would be my ideal choice, but who knows.

As for who could make it from UG... probably noone, or none that I've heard anyway. My top 3 picks for most likely would be FP, Tom, and Resi. Just because I know how much Resi loves seeing his name come up in these threads
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
^Why so?

Most of us are 15 or 16, some even only 14. Rusty didn't even start until he was 16.

Most of us have been playing for at least a year or two. It's certainly not out of reach.

(At least chops wise, luck and intelligence wise, I'll agree)
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Quote by apocalypse13
^Why so?

Most of us are 15 or 16, some even only 14. Rusty didn't even start until he was 16.

Most of us have been playing for at least a year or two. It's certainly not out of reach.

(At least chops wise, luck and intelligence wise, I'll agree)

Yeah, I suppose. I'm just a pessimist about these things..
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
^

Quote by PooKoo
I want to write techno for a living.

No joke, that or compose old school midi video game music.

Ftw
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist