a minor penatonic
Quote by Adam_G
I think it's appropriate for you to walk outside and get some sunlight and maybe a life

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl annoying me on the bus.
Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"
Her:"What??! Noo!"
Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."
Start with chords then progress onto scales when you have a good few chords under your belt
Grammar Nazi.
yea just mess around and try to nail some chords
When the going gets weird,
the weird turn pro.
exercises to strengthen your fingers like chromatic patterns...study some theory as well
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I suggest getting a teacher if youve got the money. i played for about three months self taught. and then got a teacher and realised how many bad habits i had, and he said i had fewer than most. but if you dont learn at least learn the g chord the achord the chord and f chord then keep learning chords but also practice minor pentatonic scales
Last edited by that1l)ude at Jun 11, 2006,
first of all learn basic chords... after you control basic chords in a good level
practice minor pentatonic like the others said.. move onto major and minor scales later on

oh, and seriously... get a teacher...
i cant think of two good guitar players who never took music lessons
(i think jimi hendrix is the only one)
Quote by Drone_
first of all learn basic chords... after you control basic chords in a good level
practice minor pentatonic like the others said.. move onto major and minor scales later on

Well don't go THAT far, but yes, a teacher will help you immensely. Go for that.

I haven't really learned any scales yet, to be honest. haha. I probably should start, it'll help me write more lead stuff.
Quote by Drone_

I assume you've never heard Muhammed from Necrophagist.
Quote by <><
I assume you've never heard Muhammed from Necrophagist.

his name is muhammed ? ownz (:

i exadurated a bit... yea..
but you get my point..
Thanks to all advice as I am a newbie too. Third attempt as a matter of fact. My advice to a fellow newbie would be also keep what you know already fresh. When you get frustrated with something new is when you will want to quit the most. Go back to what you know play and play and play it over and over. You get better at it plus you realize it aint as bad as you think. It took time to learn whatever you already know........get where i am going?
thank your all for your oppinions

and yes i get where your going with that lol
i dont think EVH took lessons
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1