I'm looking for some solid advice from people who own these or have played these amps. I have been saving for about a year now and I am finally ready to buy a new amp, the problem is I'm not sure anymore which amp to buy. I always thought I would end up getting the Mesa, but after being on UG, everyone talks about engl powerball as if there the best amps you can buy. I would like to know some of youre opinions on the differences between the two: tone, vesatility, outputs, reliability, etc.
I play mostly nu-metal, but I don't want an amp that is just limited to that sound. I have listened to engl sound bytes on the internet, but I have never played one, and don't know where the even sell them. I live in sacramento CA, if any one knows where I might be able to play one please let me know. Please advise on what kind of Cabs compliment the engl, I heard that the Bogner Ubershcall was a good cab for it. I know that the mesa kicks ass, is the engl really that much better????
Last edited by SACRAMETAL at Jun 11, 2006,
Yeah, I'm in the same position. I'm debating over a ENGL Powerball or a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. Anyone with some good insight on any of these amps?
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
Well basically you're saying you're interested but you don't know ****.

Unfortunately for you, you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a Powerball you can try before you buy.

Now here is a tip that I'm getting tired of saying over and over again on the forum..

TRY
EVERY
AMP.

ENGL Make great, reliable, and expensive amplifiers.

Mesa make reliable and expensive amplifiers, they have a pretty small selection.

As far as Cabs are concerned, my Powerball hasnt been picky at all. I'd be more worried about your guitar/pickups than your cab tbh. Some of the best cabs for the powerball that I've heard personally: Genz Benz G-Flex, Carvin Legacy, Marshall Standard/Traditional sized (forgot what its called) with either the G12T-75 or v30.

I've also heard RAVE things about a powerball with a Mesa/Boogie Roadking cab. Supposedly the one with the v30/shadow 90 split sounds pretty good. Personally I stray away from oversized cabs, however, since you like nu-metal you might want to check them out.

The Mark IV- Erock owns one, he loves it. I've played them alittle, I kinda want to buy one, yet at the same time I'm trying not to spend any more money. I hate being broke, haha. If you want a bit of a ballsier Mark IV you should buy a Krank, I've always thought they sounded like a Pissed Off Mark IV. I tried the Revolution and I could get a sweet tone pretty easily.
Get a Dual three channel Mesa... that's me being bias. I have never been so happy on ANY equipment choice! whoop whoop
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
a dual recto is more power than youll ever need... 150 watts is definately overkill. youll never be able to crank it.
Go with a Dual Recto and take out two of the power tubes. I've played on one and they're pretty sweet.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
^--- I second on the ease of removing the tubes IF necessary.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
What kind of voicing do you want? Mesa's are pretty dark, and pretty loose. Engl's on the other hand are really bright and tight. If i were going between the two, I would choose the Engl. It has better cleans, better classic rock overdrive, better blues abilites, and more gain than the Mesa.
Pulling tubes doesn't lower the dB by much, from what I've heard.

Mesa's can be pretty tight if you have good pups/guitar and know how to EQ. But yeah, ENGL's tend to be tighter.
Mesa: Dark, with a good EQ, can be very tight and in your face

ENGL: Bright, with a good EQ, will definitely be tighter than the Mesa.

They are very different amps. One is not better than the other. Both are great....you have to decide. Don't worry about the loosness or flab of a mesa....with a good rig and some time spent on the EQ, it is not a problem.