How good is slash really? Is he among the best in the world? Can anyone tell me a song where he has to push his ability to the limit to be able to play it?
Slash is very good for not even being able to read music. He was entirely self taught. I doubt he pushed his limits on any of his songs, since he was still able to play them perfectly when he recorded them, but possibly Paradise City's outro solo.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Yeah, thats a solid piece of work hehe. That was my bet too, but i haven't really heard that much stuff by guns n roses.
Buy all of their albums, with maybe the exclusion of the Spaghetti Incident.
Listen to all of them front to back, you won't be dissapointed. They didn't really make much "fillers" for their albums.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
To me Slash is amazing. Usually guitarists can either only play fast or play with great techique (like with bends and sildes etc.). But Slash is among the few who can do both.
He's great, I know alot of people say he sucks because he would get smashed then perform live ****ty. But all of that aside he's amazing in my opinion. He can bring emotion into his work and that's all that matters to me.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
slash is the jesus christ of our time. just kidding (im christian). hes the guy who made me want to pick up a guitar in the first place. sweet child o mine is such a beautiful song and the intro still sends chills down my spine. then i heard estranged. wow thats a great song.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
^yeah slash was the first guitarist i really got into. A lot of people say hes over rated and maybe he is a little bit but hes still amazingly good and **** load better than ill ever be. (I still cant play sweet child the whole way through )
Last edited by GnR_ROK at Jun 11, 2006,
He's better than me but that dosen't say much. Then again, maybe if i got real wasted and started falling asleep and pissing everywhere maybe i'd be a good musician too.
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Ibanez S470DXQM "Kimberly"
BC Rich NJ strat "Sydney"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
He's great, but he's nowhere near the best. He can't even see the "Best" sticker he's so far away from it. He's good though, I like him. But, like Dimebag Darrel, most of UG is riding his nuts. Was UG like this before Dimebag was shot?
Slash is the man. His work in GnR was incredible. Some of his Velvet Revolver solos are amazing too. check out his solo in Dirty Little Thing. Its prettty crazy
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
He was a great inspiration to me, and that is very important to famous guitarists, to be able to inspire people. Hes not even that good in the technical sense, but he can sure put some emotion into a song. SCOM is a good example, even tho overplayed. Listen to the nightrain solo, its pretty rad, same with november rain and estranged.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
Slash is the man. His work in GnR was incredible. Some of his Velvet Revolver solos are amazing too. check out his solo in Dirty Little Thing. Its prettty crazy

ehh velvet revolver is way below anything the original GnR did. their ok i guess. slash didnt really fufill his potential on contraband. wasnt nearly as good as the stuff he did on the Use Your Illusions albums
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
^^^ yeah his GnR work was definitely better, but i still think his VR stuff was impressive. i especially like his use of Wah in slither and come on come in. I also liek his use of the whammy bar in the Sucker Train Blues solo. which he plays on a BC Rich mockingbird, for all of you who still say BC Riches are pieces of s***.

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Last edited by ScreaminBlues25 at Jun 11, 2006,
One word.

Awesome.

Slash made me pick up a guitar, and Sweet Child O' Mine will always make me shut up and listen til I die. He's never cocky, his most amazing work he seems to play without even breaking a sweat, and he has a tone for all occasions. Unfortunately, he is under-rated. Had he been around earlier, in the Van Halen era, his name would be up in lights. However, by 1987 when Appetite For Destruction was released, even though there had been Hendrix, Iommi and Page before him, he still made a dent in the music world. Hell, even my dad likes GNR.
R E G G A E
i look at slash like i do john frusciante, very effective...most everything slash plays fits the song, and his tone is impressive

as for pushing it mabes the end of rocket queen?, that faster legato solo?
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Slash was great during Guns, but lately it he's been sounding worse and worse. There were some good songs on Contraband, but most of the time it sounded like he was trying to shred. A good example of this was during his tribute to Kiss during Rock Honors.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

many people say he isnt that good because he doesnt always play fast. thats just crap talk coz you can make an unbelievably good solo that is slow. and i concur that gnr doesnt really have fillers, all of the song are great in a way. exception of my world (use your illusion 2) wich is the most horrible crap ive ever heard. but that was some random **** by axl. axl is weird anyway
Yeah, i like him a lot. He's a cool guy, not just a great player

I was just wondering, coz i don't think he's technically too good. But he's definately one of our times greats
Slash is awesome. To put his style in words though.... I've always used "sloppy". Wait wait, just hear me out. He hits every note, but seems to rush a lot in a short time. That's flippin' awesome, but think about it like this... Slash isn't EVH clean when it comes to solos. That's the difference. So... Slash is in my top 5 guitar players ever ofcourse, but I classify his style ass : "sloppy shred".
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
sloppy isnt tyhe right word. i think slash is so cool coz hes got flow
Quote by guitarrocka205
Slash is awesome. To put his style in words though.... I've always used "sloppy". Wait wait, just hear me out. He hits every note, but seems to rush a lot in a short time. That's flippin' awesome, but think about it like this... Slash isn't EVH clean when it comes to solos. That's the difference. So... Slash is in my top 5 guitar players ever ofcourse, but I classify his style ass : "sloppy shred".

he's got some clean fills on Dont Cry. theyre not exactly solos, but he fills a lot of the verses with clean riffs

Quote by richwatkinson
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
he's got some clean fills on Dont Cry. theyre not exactly solos, but he fills a lot of the verses with clean riffs

i dont think thats what he meant by clean. i think he meant that his solos arent as put together as well as EVH. or maybe he thinks his solos sounds more improvised at the last minute. still i dont think slash is sloppy
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
He's amazing. When thinking about Slash you gotta consider this: In his time, every damn band had shred solos. He went against the current and became more famous then any shredder in the 80s.

And also part of his popularity is his image, he has been dubbed the "Guitar Outlaw". The man is all rock 'n' roll. He used to get laid 10 times a night, damn!

Slash's quality isn't speed, it's the ability to make good melodies and riffs.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
I'll be lucky if i ever reach his level, but i do think he's very overrated.
I think the best example of GnR is Patience........ it's my favourite song by them a lot of emotion
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by red star
i dont think thats what he meant by clean. i think he meant that his solos arent as put together as well as EVH. or maybe he thinks his solos sounds more improvised at the last minute. still i dont think slash is sloppy

oo yyeahh.. my bad

Quote by richwatkinson
Dont forget he plays on a lespaul. now come on only him and zakk wylde uses lespauls in all ways. They so popular with their lespauls people just bitchin' about how small their penises are *cough*hands*cough*.......

Lets see if we give slash a ibanez super wizard loaded neck, maybe a rg570 or so. i bet he be pwning even cooley. :P
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
normally i find slash sloppy like some have said but go watch his performance on knockin on heavens door at the freddy mercury tribute on youtube.com.

hes so tight and his improvising flows amazing. thats when i realized he really is as good as i thought he was.

its funny...people who like shred around here love to say he sucks cause he can't shred but come on...the paradise city outro is shred whether its good or not...hes probably hitting 15 nps in that solo. the basis for shred is what ...8? thats the common consensus at least. the middle of the SCOM solo also has some serious shred licks wheres he probably hitting 10-12 nps.

so what exactly makes people say he can't shred? because he doesn't do it all the time?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Last edited by bonchie1 at Jun 11, 2006,
Quote by Mui
Slash was great during Guns, but lately it he's been sounding worse and worse. There were some good songs on Contraband, but most of the time it sounded like he was trying to shred. A good example of this was during his tribute to Kiss during Rock Honors.

that triplet lick was kinda sloppy but he pulled it off...i wouldn't call that shred though or say he was trying to shred
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals