If you have that sort of money to invest, I'd get a tube combo: Easier to carry around, and better sound... But hey, that's just me.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

damn good amp
*Two Things To Remember*
1.) You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter

2.) A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer
hmmmmm it depends what your into, yes if you like your metal
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

The cab seems like a good deal, but I've gotta give the ixnay on the head. I think you should just keep your panties in a wad for a couple of months and get a good tube stack. You could get a Marshall DSL50 with a 2x12 cab for under a grand through Ebay. But if you're not up to waiting, just don't get a head with built-in FX. You'll regret it.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
save your money, buy a better head
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by Ambulance X
The cab seems like a good deal, but I've gotta give the ixnay on the head. I think you should just keep your panties in a wad for a couple of months and get a good tube stack. You could get a Marshall DSL50 with a 2x12 cab for under a grand through Ebay. But if you're not up to waiting, just don't get a head with built-in FX. You'll regret it.

what is wrong with built in effects?
They typically suck. I can attest to this. I have a Behringer with built-in FX. Have you tried looking at Ebay?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
I wouldnt buy a SS halfstack. they serve no purpose other then just looks. Theyre really pointless IMO. Check out eBay or something to get ahold of a good, imexpensive tube head or combo.

[edit] and yeah, built in fx do suck really bad a lot of the time. mainly because you have little or no control over them. also because they crap up your sound.
I don't know about half stacks, but you could probably get a used Peavey 5150 2x12 for under a thousand. Perhaps something from ENGL or Mesa. That is, assuming that you like your metal.

EDIT: And built-in FX typically suck because they aren't very adjustable, so you're very limited on the sounds you can get from them. Cramming all the effects in also severely limits the quality of them as well. Multi-fx are pretty much the same way. They could only be recommended for practicing beginners.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Jun 11, 2006,
check out the peavey 5150 now called the 6505 it's a great amp, the combo is about 1500 Canadian taxes in. great metal amp with stock tubes in it. upgraded tubes would be even better. no low end Marshalls are not good, IMO don't get a marshall, they are overated and very expensive. get a tube combo, tube will always sound better than SS at the same budget. Mesa is the same way very expensive, shop around, take a look at the local guitar shop. also check out traynor amps. high quality amps with great components especially the YCV50BLUE. never get an amp with built in effects however.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
I forgot about the Traynor Blue! Thanks for recommending that one.

I've heard that with an overdrive boost, the Peavey Classic series could do a Metallica or Megadeth tone, but nothing heavier than that. If you don't plan on going beyond Metallica, you might consider a Peavey Classic with an SD-1.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
i play alot of stuff like Rancid to Between The Burried And Me.

i want something good for punk and metal.

but if i get an amp thats distortion only suits metal ill run a Digitech Hot Rod on a clean channel for punk.
Are you gigging with 1,000+ people at a time?

If not, there's no need for a halfstack.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
we have a large hard core scene in my town and alot of people come to the shows.
Last edited by Rancid_Misfits at Jun 11, 2006,
someone name a good head and a good cabinet that wont make me go broke.

im willing to spend 1000 on an amp
Marshall DSL50 w/ either an Avatar, Carvin or if you can dish out the cash, Marshall cab. You can probably get a DSL50/1960 lead cab stack for about $1000 on Ebay. If you wanna go cheaper, check out a JCM900 4100 Dual Reverb halfstack.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
my JMC900 combo is loud enough to play for the scene here in KY, i dont need to turn it too loud at all, and i can get all the punk sound i need out of it with no pedal needed
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
honestly really check out the YCV50BLUE it's great for all styles of music. sounds ****ing amazing, try it out.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.