This probably could have gone in Punk n Ska, but what do I care ? (Move it if you want) I've been listening to them a lot the last few days. I like that they can have artsy music, but still make it somewhat simple and write strong lyrics.

Anyone else a fan? Favorite album? Favorite song?

My favorite song is Ether.
no one in punk and ska would be a fan. i have entertainment! its a good album, although not one i can listen to all the time. I like damaged goods and at home hes a tourist a lot, ovbs. cheeseburger is quite funny. i think i prefer wire and new order for this kinda thing.

regardless, gang of four is one of the best band names of all time.
Quote by public_witness
no one in punk and ska would be a fan.

I beg to differ. There seem to be many Gang of Four fans in the Punk and Ska forum.

Entertainment is up on my list of desired albums. But ordering online is a hassle when you're under 18.
Entertainment! is pretty great. My favorite songs would probably be Damages Goods, At Home He's a Tourist, and Not Great Men, but the whole album is definitely worth getting.
don't like them. they sound so boring and samey and too cripsy for my likings
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Yeah Gang of Four are great, real nice dancey music.
Their bassist is excellent aswell.

But as far as post-punk goes Wire are my favourite
i would agree on the idea that Gang of Four is appreciated by punk fans. Gang of Four is like caveman improvisational jazz with mohawks, tweed blazers, and glowsticks. it's simplicity at it's most complex. yeah...

i raided the Sam Goody before it went out of business in my mall...i got Entertainment! there for 70% off (huzzah for $6 CDs!) Entertainment! is excellent, great grooves, great tone and punch. i found Songs of the Free on vinyl at a thrift store (best find ever, after The Wall and Led Zeppelin IV). i'm after Solid Gold now.

radio_schizo, i've been interested in checking out some Wire...any song/album recommendations?
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
oooh these guys are great!!

there's a reason why bands like The Rapture and The Moving Units play in the style that they do. I got a copy of Entertaintment! at my trusty Ameoba music store (Like seriously what DON'T they have there) 2 years ago and I still give it a spin every now and then. My favorite songs are "Not Great Men", "Glass", "Damaged Goods" and "At Home He's A Tourist".
Quote by public_witness
i think i prefer wire and new order for this kinda thing.

same for me. i need to look into getting those wire reissues
Quote by phobos
radio_schizo, i've been interested in checking out some Wire...any song/album recommendations?

Pink Flag is their most punk album.

Everything after that, the emphasis is put mainly on the avante-guard style over the punk. But it's all good still.

I'd say get Pink flag first Then make your way up the line.
Quote by The Mofaster
oooh these guys are great!!
I got a copy of Entertaintment! at my trusty Ameoba music store (Like seriously what DON'T they have there)

i'm excited to move into LA for school...i'm ready to invade Ameoba records on a regular basis. i can't imagine a better music store.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
On the boring side for me. New Order > Gang of Four.

Punk died with Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.

k guys i play real metal like atreyu and stuff
Quote by phobos
i'm excited to move into LA for school...i'm ready to invade Ameoba records on a regular basis. i can't imagine a better music store.

oooh really?! what school are you coming to L.A. for?

Ameoba music is like my second home. hit me up and I will show you around.
Quote by The Mofaster
oooh really?! what school are you coming to L.A. for?

Ameoba music is like my second home. hit me up and I will show you around.

i'm headed to USC...you're not a Bruin, are you...? in any case, it's all good...it's all about the music.

i realize that i'm still a couple miles from Ameoba in Hollywood, but i hope it's close enough for me to bum a ride off some people. i've been to the Ameoba in SF, and that was enough to make me a believer.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Quote by phobos
i'm headed to USC...you're not a Bruin, are you...? in any case, it's all good...it's all about the music.

i realize that i'm still a couple miles from Ameoba in Hollywood, but i hope it's close enough for me to bum a ride off some people. i've been to the Ameoba in SF, and that was enough to make me a believer.

Your gonna be a Trojan!! Like WHOA!! I go to UCLA. Yes that's right, IM A BRUIN!!!

actually your only about a half hour (without alot of traffic) or so from Amoba if your going straight from USC to Amoeba. MAKE SURE YOU GO ON A WEEKDAY!! Im sure you can find someone to take ya there. If not, once again Im more than willing to help out a fellow UG'er.
I saw them live yesterday and my opinion totally changed! they're insane live! really really awesome!
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Entertainment is great, but it does get kinda samey at times.
have they had a single out recently, like in the past month? i thought they finished in the 80's?

have i just made all this up