So, this has probably been posted before, but I looked around a bit, and found nothing. SO I'm posting.

Basically, I am trying to learn alternate picking (picking up and down for those who don't know), and well... I suck at it. I am practicing with easier scales and such, but without alternate picking, I can play stuff like As I Lay Dying, and Bullet For My Valentine. I don't know if that's fast for only going one way, but that's where I'm up to.

If anyone could post advice as to going about different approaches at alt picking, I'll be very grateful. Thanks.
You just pick down, then up. Not really hard at all, but if your talking about picking fast, that's Tremolo picking, which you have to hold the pick at a slant, Alt and Tremolo picking are 2 different things, but yes you alternate pick when you are Tremolo picking, just do it really fast
jus practice different things like 1-2-3-4 nxt string 1-2-3-4 nxt string 1-2-3-4...etc and back down again when you get to the top in either the same pattern or reversed (ie 4-3-2-1)
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
You want to get the fundamentals down first, when it's easiest. On a single string, then when you're confident with that - go to cross string mechanics. Really, there's too much to say in one post, so I'll just leave you with a few helpful clickies

Speed Mechanics - That has some extremely good alterate picking advice and excercises.

Guitar Principles. - Priceless advice to be had here, not just on alternate picking, but other techniques, too. How they're applied psychologically, and more importantly, the correct way to practice!

The Technique Thread - Some pretty useful advice in there on all things technique from the Shred Forum.

Anchor or No Anchor - That's there if you have any quams, misconceptions or doubts about your picking efficiency.

Relax and you can't go wrong.
your gonna suck at alternate picking until your coordination is perfect and the timing will be different in relation to just downpicking so it might take a couple days and or weeks to get it down ... ive been there couple years ago but now its automatic
Quote by blinnk16
Thanks epacers, that was a load of help.

Quote by gnarly_
I respect you man...Your going on my people who dont suck list...
I kindof suck at alternate picking, but oddly enough it turns out i naturally sweep pick :S Is this an advantage or not, because my guitar teacher got me to play him aload of alternate picked patterns, i sweeped about 80% of them pretty fast without realising, yet when i actually try to sweep on purpose i cant seem to do it :S
Quote by jesushaxyou
So, this has probably been posted before, but I looked around a bit, and found nothing. SO I'm posting.

Basically, I am trying to learn alternate picking (picking up and down for those who don't know), and well... I suck at it. I am practicing with easier scales and such, but without alternate picking, I can play stuff like As I Lay Dying, and Bullet For My Valentine. I don't know if that's fast for only going one way, but that's where I'm up to.

If anyone could post advice as to going about different approaches at alt picking, I'll be very grateful. Thanks.

a very good exercise is to play from the first fret, play one two three frets alternating then go down each string then go back up, and repeat and repeat till your comfortable
Last edited by backinblack111 at Jun 11, 2006,
Start with the Penatonic Patterns,

---------------------------------------------------9--12-----------\
-----------------------------------------9--12---------------------\
-------------------------------9--11-------------------------------\
---------------------9--11-----------------------------------------\
-----------9--11---------------------------------------------------\
-9--12-------------------------------------------------------------\

Just practice it. Down, up, down, up, down, up. I remember starting it and I was thinking "This isnt faster at all!", and now, after practice, im playing it pretty fast.
Quote by fireball85
I kindof suck at alternate picking, but oddly enough it turns out i naturally sweep pick :S Is this an advantage or not, because my guitar teacher got me to play him aload of alternate picked patterns, i sweeped about 80% of them pretty fast without realising, yet when i actually try to sweep on purpose i cant seem to do it :S

I dont know if anyone read this, but could someone please give me some advice or a reason why this is happening please? Its very confusing lol.
the solo form fade to black makes good pratice for this
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
Quote by .:METALJIM:.
learn the master of puppets intro riff

That's played with all downpicking!

Basically whenever I learn a riff, I make sure rather than just learning it that I carefully plot out the most efficient fingering using all four of my fingers. I used to have to make sure I was alternate picking as well. Do this for a while and before you know it, you'll catch yourself alternate picking a new riff without even thinking about it. It sucks at first and seems very unnatural but it will become second nature before you know it. THEN you can choose. Metallica (I'll use them as an example since it was mentioned above) says they downpick if it is feasible to do so, otherwise they alternate pick. Down picking is stronger and produces a different tone than alternate picking. However, at high speeds it's no longer feasible to do so and your flow/speed/rhythm starts lacking, this is where they incorperate alternate picking. Regardless, alternate pick everything until it's like riding a bike, then choose what you want to do from there.

Bry
Quote by fireball85
I dont know if anyone read this, but could someone please give me some advice or a reason why this is happening please? Its very confusing lol.

That doesn't make any sense, could you clarify with an example riff? There is no way you could play a riff both by sweeping it or alternate picking, unless you changed the strings the notes are played on. As for when you try to sweep, it's just like anything else in life. 99% of the battle is not thinking and just letting it go, like dancing. If you think about something you're going to **** it up. You just need to do it.

Bry
Just alot of multi string shapes, for example a very basic one:

d u d u d u
---7--5---------------
----------7----5------
------------------7--5

Thats how it was supposed to be played, when its across two strings im doing this:

d u u d
---7--5---------------
----------7----5------

When its more than two strings im playing:

d u u u d
---7--5--------------
----------7-p5------
-----------------7--5

And i cant seem to help it lol.
Quote by fireball85
Just alot of multi string shapes, for example a very basic one:

d u d u d u
---7--5---------------
----------7----5------
------------------7--5

Thats how it was supposed to be played, when its across two strings im doing this:

d u u d
---7--5---------------
----------7----5------

When its more than two strings im playing:

d u u u d
---7--5--------------
----------7-p5------
-----------------7--5

And i cant seem to help it lol.

Well the third example you're just cheating so I'll ignore that one

However the second exampler is not sweep picking but economy picking. I should have specified that earlier but I had been drinking a little bit Believe it or not there is a difference in sound (as with all subtlties in music) and certain people strickly alternate pick and some people economy pick. I personally economy pick but ask your teacher. He/She may be able to convince you with there own reasons why one is better or order. If your goal is to alternate pick already, just do it slow and deliberate until you know you got it right, then just increase speed.

Bry