There's no doubt that a lot people love Gibson LPs, SGs, Explorers, etc. The way it appears is that when you invest in guitars over $1500, they're a little analogous to Porsches and Jaguars or name your pricey car.

One could spend even more and make it a Ruf Porsche, etc. but as is, the typical LP or Porsche would make the buyer happy, stock.

Now with the Fenders, you have a wider range which allows you to start low, leave them as is, and they'll perform well OR you could start modding/tweaking and you'll have a weapon that'll hold its own against stiffer competition.

Fenders are like the American muscle cars of old, you can do stuff to make them do obscenely fantastic stuff. Parts are amazingly varied, from cheap to boutique, so the only limits to your modding bug are time and $$$.

I love my Gibsons (minimal mods, as in just PUs) but my Fenders all get the modding experiments: tuners. nuts, neck, pickguards, finish, and PUs.

Which guitars get the most tweaking attention from you?

id be afraid to mod my LP other than maybe pickups. i dont wanna f*** anything up on a $3500 guitar..

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
note the "maybe" ^^^

which usually means a no, for me

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
i hav no idea how to mod my strat
#18 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.

reality is only an illusion created by lack of alcohol

emo is punk on estragen
I love my Gibson because the only thing that's not good enough is the PU's. EVERYTHING else is just the way I want it.
Im not sure if this is true, but a salesman at the local guitar store told me, when i asked about new pickups, that the amp is like 15% of your sound, effects are 10% and the pickups are like 75%.....Now can that be true?? I have always wondered how big a difference new pickups would make, but is it that substantial??

Oh yeah its an ibanez i am talking about too
Slowhand 03/23/07
The UG Eric Clapton Fan Club

PM clapton-floyd to join
I think that you should buy a guitar that you feel comfortable when playing and you like the tone it has unplugged. Then you know that all that needs to be modded are maybe hardware and pickups, which can be easily swapped. The body/neck can also be changed, no doubt, but that in fact changes it into another guitar
You can say this about any guitar. I love my ibanez's and schecters more than gibby's or fenders because they are what i like. I think there are too manay fanboys in this world.
Ibanez SZ 520
Ibanez Rg270 dx
crate Gt200 Tube/Solid Hybrid
Soon to be- Peavey ultra 60 tube head
ClassicAxe-"Jackson doesn't make Soloists so Emo kids can come and sing about slitting their wrists.They make quality guitars."
Oh, yeah, and also I want to say that price shouldnt be something you would look at first. I have a 400$ guitar and for me it is perfect. I cant imagine a better guitar for me.

And Heyfredyourhat: That is not 100% true, the wood makes a big difference. Id say that its like 30% wood, 30% pickups, 30 % amp and 10 % effects. If you have a bad wood, even the best pickups wont help you. Also bad pups and perfect wood is crap, same with amp and effects are just something on top of all that
Nah, amp is by far the biggest aspect. Pickups have quite a small effect on your sound actually, as does the wood.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Lets break it up shall we?

Amp makes up a good 65% percent of your tone (can be more or less, depending on the Amp, on solid states it could be 90% of your tone as they tend to ignore differences in guitars and pickups).

Within the amps, it's broken up into 3 different parts, Speakers, Tubes, and Circuitry. Of those, two are easily Replaceable.

Guitar makes up the other 35%. The wood makes up easily 15% of this (once again, a variable, some pickups are transparent, some, such as the Dimarzio Superdistortion can mold your tone, and allow an Alder guitar to sound much more Mahoganyish). The other 20% of your tone is the pickups (once again, a variable). The reason I say this is higher, is because there is no wood in the world that can cause your tubes to breakup faster/push your amp harder, while high output humbuckers can.

Pickups are easily replaceable, and if you are like "Almost there" by tone standards, are a great last kick to get your perfect tone (as wood isn't easily replaceable..).

There you have it, things you can do to easily change your tone - Get a new speaker, get new tubes (JJ for example makes good ones) and get new pickups, if you are unhappy with the circuitry of the amp, or the wood of the guitar, then it's time for a larger investment. * this is all the obvious schitt*

This is of course, excluding the player, you can have the best gear in the world for your style of music, but if you cant play that style, it wont help you at all.
Last edited by TimmyPage06 at Jun 11, 2006,