Page 1 of 2
I purchased the album "TRY!" by the John Mayer Trio recently after seeing John Mayer hit some pretty impressive licks, strangely enough on Chappelle's Show of all places. I hadn't really heard anything much about John Mayer except that he was some wuss-pop singer who played some guitar. When I bought this album, I was honestly completely floored!!! I then researched John Mayer on wikipedia and other places, and this dude is owed some major props. He's played with pretty much every awesome blues-rock guitarist that is still around. Has anybody else heard this album, and if so were you as impressed as i was?
i saw the video once on vh1, and i was like, WHOA! he can play!
<Han> I love Hitler
He just played with B.B. King at the King of the Blues Guitar Center competition ... hope someone posts it on youtube or something.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Yea I bought his album when it came out, because of all the praise bluesman were giving it. I also bought his old dvd Any Givien Tuesday, it has some pretty good jams inbetween songs. Also I believe there is a thread on JM3 already.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Last edited by The Master Plan at Jun 11, 2006,
I ahve never herad jon mayer, and when i first herad people calling him a wussy pop singer. I thought they had ALL misheard john mayall.

John mayall is a jazz bluse fusion artists, not wussy pop. He's great.

yes silly me.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
John Mayer was a pop singer that sang "Your Body is a wonderland"
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
hey, i would sing wussy pop ballads if it got me babes like john mayer gets
Me also if I got the sweet vintage Fender gear like he has.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
john mayer can improv really really really effing good.

no joke.

proof is right there.
dun dun dun !

i just love how he switches guitar after every song.
he has a slave that hands him his guitars. lolll.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

shoot Id love to be his slave, Id play with the guitars before handing them over.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
He has a Monterery Pop Strat, a Cream ES-335, and about a hundred other great guitars.

Phish - Waste
Yea and the SRV Tribute guitar not the sig one.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
catch his performance on the crossroads guitar festival dvd, awsome. that's when i first heard of him. 'try' is a great album but i'm not so impressed with his earlier stuff.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Yea I saw that movie with my lil' bro. I heard it at the end of the movie, its ok.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
I heard its gonna be his conversion album, as in he's going to mix pop with blues to get his pop listeners to listen to blues.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Haven't heard that album, but he is an amazing guitarist. I'd happily have his ability (and his lifestyle). Some of his songs aren't the greatest to listen to though, the musicianship is good, but the overall feel of the tracks can wear a man down.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
the guy plays blues and jazz very well. i got to know him recently and i was suprised how good he is. steve jordan in his band mayer trio puts and extra level to the performances. mayer is smart too imo, by beginning with pop songs and then leaving it all behind and starting to begin with very creative blues and jazz music
Fender Classic Series '50s Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
i must say tho...even his pop stuff i like like "Room For Squares" album, for me i enjoy everything he puts out, and to see that he wails its just awesome
Quote by skydogzoso1986
the guy plays blues and jazz very well. i got to know him recently and i was suprised how good he is. steve jordan in his band mayer trio puts and extra level to the performances. mayer is smart too imo, by beginning with pop songs and then leaving it all behind and starting to begin with very creative blues and jazz music

It could be considered smart...........or it could be considered some weird backwards version of selling out, however you wanna look at it, lol.

I think he's talented, but he seems a bit arrogant considering that he is barely playing the blues. Try! was good, but it was still really poppy. When he has the balls to put out a real blues album, i'll have more respect for him. His playing isnt bad, though. I just dont really like how he's slowly infusing blues into his pop to trick his pop fans into listening to it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^ Yeah his little jam session on that DVD was great ... i dont care what he wears cuz i wear American Eagle and stuff and I love the blues .... but anyways...

The biggest thing I dont like about John Mayer is that I know he loves the blues ... he has SRV tattoed on himself and credits SRV with everything he knows. But if he loves the blues that much then WHY THE HELL would he release that pop stuff... like I love the blues and I would rather be sitting in some smokey club playing what I love that be in front of a bunch of girls playing some garbage music just so I can be famous ... they have a name for those kinds of people.

And there was an interview where he said that no one could make the blues popular besides him ... you know what the day I see some stupid kid walkin around with a B.B. King shirt saying oh I love the blues cuz I like John Mayer then its gonna be the day that I kill someone.

I liked Try! .. I thought it was really good ... but until he releases a 100% blues CD then he aint a blues musician ... he has to be willing to give up all the fame and screaming girls to gain all my respect.

And that was my rant for the day.

Phish - Waste
^^^

I agree with the vast majority of that. What he's trying to do is have his cake and eat it, too. He wants to play the blues (or at least he says he does), but he's easing into it so he can keep all the screaming girls. It's all or nothing, Johnny, all or nothing. (IMO)

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I could be wrong, but I think what he said in that interview was that no one else could make the transition from pop to blues except him. That's still kind of a grandiose comment, but still...
Now I get what that saying means. He wants to play the blues, but doesnt wantto lose money or mainstream popularity.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by yakuza11
hey, i would sing wussy pop ballads if it got me babes like john mayer gets

sellout
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
he wants it all, the bastard! yeah, good point there TNfootballfan62 and IrishBlues. and i hated it so much when i heard him saying that no one else could do it, so arrogant. no real blues artist would say anything like that and be so arrogant. that's probably because of his pop stuff and the girls screaming at him. it's true that no real blues artist would betray his roots to make himself commercial and then get to do what he likes to. still though, he's a good player, but you just can't make blues commercial
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
u ever think maybe he enjoys playin both styles of music? i mean personally like all his stuff including his 'poppy' stuff, maybe he does too???

^skydogzoso....wheres that confounded bridge?? ( i saw ur sig)
Quote by TUMFP
u ever think maybe he enjoys playin both styles of music? i mean personally like all his stuff including his 'poppy' stuff, maybe he does too???

Isn't the blues about expression? Does everything a bluesman plays need to be pure blues? I play what type of music I feel like on a given day. Why can't a high profile artist record different types of albums with out being attacked for "selling out"?

Oh, I also think John Mayer is right about him being the only one that can mainstream blues at the moment.
Let's face it..... he is doing for blues what Eminiem did for rap. He is good and he is bringing a niche product to the masses by making it accessable for all.

DJ
If he enjoys both styles of music, fine, but in interviews he seemed almost ashamed of his pop days. He confuses me, lol.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
If he enjoys both styles of music, fine, but in interviews he seemed almost ashamed of his pop days. He confuses me, lol.

Yeah thats what I got out of it ... almost as that the Pop thing was just a fun easy ride to put his name on the billboards and then he just woke up one day heard himself on the radio and was like Wow Im a little pansy girl, Im gonna make a real CD ...

EDIT: Its kind of like B.B. King, he would play on the corner and he would either play gospel or blues ... but when he played blues he would get money whereas he wouldnt when he played gospel ... so that kind of made up his mind right there what he wanted to play. With John Mayer I see him thinking ... well I can play Blues and get no where or play Pop and win a grammy(s).

And im not calling B.B. King a sellout

Phish - Waste
Last edited by IrishBlues at Jun 14, 2006,
TUMFP, the bridge is where you can find it, no one knows where to look. it's an expression that's related to led zeppelin => stairway/bridge, but no one knows exactly what it means
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Yea In the SOng Try He sounds just a little like Stevie Ray Vaughn

I love his playing
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by skydogzoso1986
TUMFP, the bridge is where you can find it, no one knows where to look. it's an expression that's related to led zeppelin => stairway/bridge, but no one knows exactly what it means

i thought u were quoting "the crunge" my bad...

as for mayer, Route 66 is a good song, i really enjoy it...i hopeContinuum is similar
Yeah, WOTWTC is good stuff, but the live versions you can find on Youtube are so much better than that studio version on his site. Seriously, check them out. The song has been out there for a while now, I cant believe your just finding it now.

By the way, Route 66 is amazing.

Also, I dont post much anymore, but for any Mayer related questions, I could probably answer. I dont mean to sound cocky or arrogant, I just used to be (and still am) amazingly obbsessed with everything the man has done. And you want an argument on wheather the man has the right to play the blues instead of being that "silly little pop guy"? I'll give you an argument. Even though his pop music is still amazing, and to some degree a little bluesy even.

Wasnt there a big thread on the Trio in here somewhere?

Yea, there have been 2 or 3 JMT threadsd (to wyldegibsonplyr)

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Page 1 of 2