I always wondered what the picking pattern was for this Slayer song. (war ensemble)

down-down-up-down or down-up down-up?
its played at 220bpm so its quite fast.

|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
|-3---.-.-.---3---.-.-.---3---.---|-6---.-.-.---6---.-.-.---6---.---|
|-----3-3-3-------3-3-3-------3---|-----3-3-3-------3-3-3-------3---|

|-5---.-.-.---5---.-.-.---5---.---|-4---.-.-.---4---.-.-.---4---.---|
|-----3-3-3-------3-3-3-------3---|-----3-3-3-------3-3-3-------3---|
Read my post. Not this.
down up down up could b considered economy picking and a lot of metal guitarists economy pick to gain speed... so its prolly down up down up
Quote by blinnk16
Thanks epacers, that was a load of help.

Quote by gnarly_
I respect you man...Your going on my people who dont suck list...
Quote by bangoodcharlote

It isn't all even.

what do u mean even?

it seems to me when i read the tab, you could alt pick the whole thing and it will work out great.

but hell, i dont use pics what do i know LOL
Quote by mangablade
what do u mean even?

it seems to me when i read the tab, you could alt pick the whole thing and it will work out great.

but hell, i dont use pics what do i know LOL
It's an 8th note then a gallop, 8th note, gallop, 8th note, 8th note.

Anyway, I learned to play the gallop DDU and that's how I play the riff. Playing it the way I said avoids inside picking as well.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's an 8th note then a gallop, 8th note, gallop, 8th note, 8th note.

Anyway, I learned to play the gallop DDU and that's how I play the riff. Playing it the way I said avoids inside picking as well.

o haha i had no idea it was a gallop! that changes everything lmao.
id use down up down up
and sorry for the ignorance... but what is a gallop ?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Eight Sixteenth Sixteenth

oh, its a rythem thing... i thought its a picking thing
ok, thanks.
a good example of gallopping is The Trooper by Iron Maiden
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 NIV
Since the question has been answered, I might as well ask in here, but what do you mean by 'inside picking'? In that context it sounds like a bad habit.

I usually don't pay attention much to my picking hand as long i'm alt picking for the most part and it sounds right, so that leads me to believe I have a few bad habits, do you mind explaining it?
Quote by Rakoro
Since the question has been answered, I might as well ask in here, but what do you mean by 'inside picking'? In that context it sounds like a bad habit.

I usually don't pay attention much to my picking hand as long i'm alt picking for the most part and it sounds right, so that leads me to believe I have a few bad habits, do you mind explaining it?
Well if you don't pay attention to your picking hand, you probably do have a few bad habits.

Anyway, inside picking is not a bad habit. It is a necessary, but difficult picking technique. It would be necessaey if this riff here played in straight 16th notes. It would have to be alternate or economy picked. So you start by picking down on the A string. All of a sudden, you have to pick up on the low E string. Your pick is in a bad position to do this at high speed. Your pick starts "inside" the two strings.

As Petrucci said, "There are some guitarists who really have this down, and I guess we'll just have to shoot them."