I've been playing the guitar for almost three years now and I'm learning to play bass, what advice do you guys have to make the transition easier?
1) read threads in this forum for a better understanding

2) realize the difference in roles between bass and guitar

3) figure out what playing style(s) you will be utilizing (pic/fingers etc.)

4) listen to bass oriented music. (or atleast where the bass has a bigGER role)
it might be tempting to use a pic, but dont, use your fingers..... you can go faster and it will sound better
Quote by bassguru
it might be tempting to use a pic, but dont, use your fingers..... you can go faster and it will sound better

Not exactly, I'm faster with a pick, varies person to person.

Anywho, there are A LOT of guitar to bass threads around, and most of them have lots of good info, just search around a little.
Ok, first of all, I've been listening to bass oriented music for a long time, I always try to keep an open mind when it comes to music. Second, for me playing with a pick is WAY faster, any advice as far as learning to use my fingers goes? I really like popping (i think that's what it's called when you pluck really hard with your fingers) and it's easy to do, but I just can't seem to get slapping down, any advice?
The only bit of advice I have for playing bass (I was a bassist and then learned guitar) is to learn how to play with your fingers EVEN if you are faster with a pick. This is because playing with your fingers has a different sound from playing with a pick, and sometimes, you want that sounds.

I own a fretless, so I never learned to slap or pop in fear of a damaged bridge.

Also note that the bass is a fair bit heavier than most guitars and therefore proper hand position is even more important. There's not too much more advice that I can give other than making sure you use your pinky just as much (but because you play guitar you should know this).

One last note is that it playing with a metronome can increase your playing tenfold....though I don't really like palying with a metronome and I kind have neglected the use of my own metronome.
Quote by flytv12
Ok, first of all, I've been listening to bass oriented music for a long time, I always try to keep an open mind when it comes to music. Second, for me playing with a pick is WAY faster, any advice as far as learning to use my fingers goes? I really like popping (i think that's what it's called when you pluck really hard with your fingers) and it's easy to do, but I just can't seem to get slapping down, any advice?

id suggets staying away from slap pop till you get a little more experence with a bass.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Quote by bassguru

that's bull**** about the sound. The sound is purely down to opinion, I think pick playing sounds better, but I still love the sound fingers make, though you can go faster with fingers after a while but at first pick will be faster.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
you can go faster with fingers after a while but at first pick will be faster.
Fingers are as fast as a pick they have different sounds too

THE TREND IS DEAD!
Slapping really isn't hard, and it's worth getting into as soon as possible, although you should try and view it differently to actual bass practise, e.g practice actual bass fingering/picking stuff for a certain amount of time then spare a certain amount of time to just slapping + popping if you can, as it requires totally different teckniques. try not to rush into it, get your slaps nice and quick and make sure to deaden the notes before popping, the best way to learn is to get a mate who already knows how to show u what sound you should be making, and then you can recreate it in any slap movement you like, either actually hitting e.g the 20th fret, or just slapping the string above the pickup, but you should normally use the lefthand side of your right hand thumb, the boney bit when you tense your thumb.

Also, try and develop some different idols within bass, e.g people like victor wooten, john entwistle, flea, who you can watch (maybe buy a couple of dvds?) and mold your own style around the things you like/dislike about them. this is a great thing to do as when i started i noticed i loved the galloping and fingering speed of entwistle, but also really loved the slapping techniques of say flea/victor so i kind of merged them together to get a sound i really love, you should try and create your own kind of style eventually.

finally, obviously if you've been playing for guitar for so long you'll be bias towards using a pick, and that's fine, but if you want to become a versatile bass player with a knowledge of different styles, its worth practise with just your fingers as well (obviously).

hope i cud help good luck! x