gear? out of interest i googled and found some tracks from the black label society. PLEASE!!! this is my own, uneducated opinion from hearing 3 or 4 songs, but his music sounds like 80s butt-rock.

what's the big deal over?

I AM NOT STARTING A FLAME WAR
go back, and listen to a whole albums worth of music, rather than 3-4 songs which cud be all ****. or listen to his stuff with ozzy osbourne - No rest for the wicked album is a good start IMO
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
I dont believe Black Label Society is "80's butt-rock". He has some pretty cool, heavy riffs and cool solos. But he uses pinch harmonics WAY WAY too much. I think every Black Label Society song has a few pinch harmonics in it. Zakk Wylde is a good guitarist, but he is very over rated.
I am going to PRE-EMPTIVELY thwart this build-up to a universally destructive nuclear flame war RIGHT HERE!!!!

i was asking more about why people post so much about his sound and his gear.

and oh yeah, i remember him from the ozzy days. i guess i just don't understand any of the questions about "how do i get children of bodum/as i lay dying/Timmy Dingdoodle-sound"

but zakk seems to come up more than anybody. what's so special about his sound... butt-rocker

oh yeah, are pinch harmonics like the "chug-a-chug-a-chug-chug... YOINK ...chug-a-chug-a-chug-chug" thing?
Last edited by sethp at Jun 11, 2006,
yeah i dont like him either. hes an asshole and getting old BUT he is a good guitarist. His music getse annoying after a while....
Quote by JET116
yeah i dont like him either. hes an asshole and getting old BUT he is a good guitarist. His music getse annoying after a while....

man i hate it when people talk about a musicians persona as if they know them, dude, he's probobly not a dick, its just an act or you just don't know him, not that I do of course.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Quote by JET116

Dude everytime i have read an interview or seen an interview he has been the humbelest of almost any guitarist i have seen. He has absolutly no EGO. when the girl interviewing him said he was an amazing guitarist he said no no there are such great guitarists out there and started listing names of guitarists he thinks are better than he is. And he was the nicest of guys to everyone who interviewed him he just sits back has a beer and has fun but he was a nice humble guy in any interview or show i have seen. Hes just a Heavy Metal Rocker with a big ass beard and long hair he just looks like a badass and maybe that makes you think he is an ass but from what i can tell he isnt. So i dont know where your getting this i think he is an asshole thing.

And personally i like Zakks tone very simple but very nice at least IMO. Hes not the greatest of guitarists but he is a damn good guitarist and can play the hell out of that instrument.

And to me his music isn't butt rock. I love BLS great band compared to some of the **** music that is coming out now. and the old Ozzy stuff has great guitar work on it. but i will agree he needs to lay off the Pinches.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Last edited by Syn Harvest at Jun 11, 2006,
No i mean ive seen videos of him yelling at people and freaking out. I could catch what exactly he was saying because every 3 words were bleeped out. It wasnt pretty
when was this every interview i have ever seen he was nothign but nice to the interviewer answering all questions to the best of his ability and be nothing but respectful. I know at ozzfest he came out and hung out with the fans as something to give back to them when i was there. amazing guy in my book i know he looks like a badass but he actually is a pretty good guy.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
NY Rock
Did you enjoy playing the song co-written with David Grohl of the Foo Fighters and Nirvana?

ZAKK:
The song was so goddam ridiculous, beyond ****in' bad. I'm not kidding. Embarrassingly bad, it was insulting. I'm like, **** him. If I see that mother****er I'm going to kick his ass.
Quote by fwibble
go back, and listen to a whole albums worth of music, rather than 3-4 songs which cud be all ****. or listen to his stuff with ozzy osbourne - No rest for the wicked album is a good start IMO

Zakk Wylde is a talentless pinch-harmonic abusing hack.

And a cocksucker.

Its just chugchugchug WHIRRRR chugchug chugchugchug WHIRRRRR etc.
Zakk Wylde is an UNDER RATED musician. Considering he can play the hell out of the guitar, also take into consideration he is a badass at the piano too. His sound does tend to lean more to the 80's but thats when he started and most guitarists have a set genre that they are comfortable playing in. And if people buy his albums then thats all that matters really. He's not much of a singer tho, and thats my only concern. I still buy his albums tho.
Ok so Zakk sells albums therefore he is good.

And brittany spears is good?

Hmm, So if alot of people are doing something that makes it good/right, correct? pfah. worst 'reason' ever.
Britney Spears dont sell sh*t anymore. She can go to hell. But all I am saying is that enough people like him to keep him making new albums so apparently he is pretty good.

Well have you ever recorded a big song on the piano. Obviously if he has a sig piano hes probably pretty good at the damn thing. Angus Young, or Eric Clapton wouldnt have a sig guitar if they were just OK.
that dude from good charrlette has a sig PRS^^
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by El Codyo
He's not badass at piano, he learned a few chords for "In This River" and then made a sig piano.

i dont know dude, ive seen him do a cover of all these skynyrd tunes on piano,and that last song on Mafia, I Never Dream. those solos i think are the best solos he ever recorded, and the piano is just ****en amazing in that song.

but im not tryin to be mean, he is over rated, and i do get tired of hearing about him, but hes still one of my heroes so i deal with it.

and hes not an asshole, unless you piss him off. ive talke dot him at ozzfest and he was the ****in funniest person i ever met. well, he reminded me alot of when i went backstage at a Damageplan show when they were first starting out and i met dime. they are both so ****in funny. but Zakk is one of the nicest dudes in metal ever.
R.I.P. Dime
"Forever Shred On"
Last edited by chums at Jun 12, 2006,
Quote by sethp

oh yeah, are pinch harmonics like the "chug-a-chug-a-chug-chug... YOINK ...chug-a-chug-a-chug-chug" thing?

Since when did pinch harmonics go 'YOINK'??
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by ClaptonRules
Britney Spears dont sell sh*t anymore. She can go to hell. But all I am saying is that enough people like him to keep him making new albums so apparently he is pretty good.

Well have you ever recorded a big song on the piano. Obviously if he has a sig piano hes probably pretty good at the damn thing. Angus Young, or Eric Clapton wouldnt have a sig guitar if they were just OK.

lol **** you okay

If avenged sevenfold make a quadruplexmillion platinum record does that mean they own? **** NOT. There are a MILLIOn examples out there and I can say Zakk Wylde licks my mother****ing scrotum.

**** Pianos, I should have a signature boot. Why? I kick too much ass Unlike zakk wylde. that flaming fagg0t.

Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Since when did pinch harmonics go 'YOINK'??

Since Zakk reached up his ass and YOINKed them right out with a pair of tongs.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
lol **** you okay

If avenged sevenfold make a quadruplexmillion platinum record does that mean they own? **** NOT. There are a MILLIOn examples out there and I can say Zakk Wylde licks my mother****ing scrotum.

**** Pianos, I should have a signature boot. Why? I kick too much ass Unlike zakk wylde. that flaming fagg0t.

Since Zakk reached up his ass and YOINKed them right out with a pair of tongs.

The guy can play guitar, you have to admit it.

But hes a complete shitass.
Quote by TheFluffy
The guy can play guitar, you have to admit it.

But hes a complete shitass.

I can play guitar too, but i don't have a billion fans praising me for being a piano vitruoso and extremely talented guitarist.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I can play guitar too, but i don't have a billion fans praising me for being a piano vitruoso and extremely talented guitarist.

Because you didnt play for ozzy.

Or make a Dimebag tribute video out of a song not made for him.
Quote by TheFluffy
Because you didnt play for ozzy.

Or make a Dimebag tribute video out of a song not made for him.

You're right.

If I played for ozzy I would have kicked his wife in the crotch by now. haha.
His music sounds like butt rock to me too, but I don't whine about it on an internet forum.

Meh, I could warn half of you guys, but I'm in a good mood.

Don't do it again
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.