Lately, after playing some chords for a few minutes, the muscle at the base of my thumb on my left hand starts to get really sore. Is this normal growing pains (I've only been playing for a little over a month), or am I fretting the strings too hard?
it must be from where you put your thumb while playing, or you're holding it too tight against the neck.
I think you are putting too much tension on your thumb. Try putting in a more comfortable postition on the neck.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I think you are putting too much tension on your thumb. Try putting in a more comfortable postition on the neck.

I have my thumb directly behind the neck, which I think is supposed to be the proper position. I definitely think I'm putting too much strain on my thumb. How much pressure should be you applying with your thumb? I feel like I do push pretty firmly with my thumb against the back of the neck to make sure I'm fretting the strings hard enough, especially for chords like F, where I'm fretting 2 strings with one finger.
I used to have this problem when playing acoustic. What helped me? I got a GripMaster and worked my thumb out, lol. (Seriously)
yeah I had the same problem for awhile. What I found helped it was to make sure to keep a straight wrist and to try and position your barring finger "better", it is hard to explain. But once you get the right position the pain will fade because you wont be pusing down as hard as before.
"try to hold you fingers 'hovering' about an inch above the fretboard, if this is uncomfortable then you're using too much pressure to play"

so reads a book i have, try it out.

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
You ARE gripping too hard.

and NO you DON'T need a GripMaster.

Relax your fretting arm and let it hang. Allow the weight of your arm to do most
of the fretting pressure. If you're nice & relaxed you only have to stiffen your
fingers to direct the arm weight where you want it.

If you can master that, you'll be in much better position than the heavey
grippers who work out with grip masters to playing fast.