What is the best way to block a trem bridge on a strat? Also will blocking the trem make it easier for a guitar to stay in tune. I have locking tuners but my guitar still falls out of tune a little. I was thinking if I block the trem and maybe put on a locking nut it would correct this. Just looking for suggestions.
I think locking nuts are very unnattractive. it would be quite unneccessary if you dont use your tremolo at all. locking tuners and a blocked bridge will help your tuning stability immensely
Fender blues deluxe and an Epiphone Les paul

Quote by utsapp89
Volume=Emotion.
Just tighten the springs in the back of the cavity so the trem is flush with the body. That should help it stay in tune.
Just pull a Clapton and shove a piece of wood in the trem cavity.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
I tried thightening the springs, now the screws sit flush on the inside of the body and it still dont help. I dont know if the springs are just too weak, thats why I want to try and block the trem completely. And Im not much for a locking nut either since I dont have a Floyd Rose in my Strat, but if it would help I am willing to do it. And I figured I would just cut a block of wood and slam it up in the trem, but I didnt know if that was the best way to do it or if there was some "proper" way to block a trem.
I'd say get more springs like 4 or 5 and just max out the claw's screw so that its tightened. For wood blocking, you need to measure a block of wood and stick it to the inner side of the empty bridge compartment. You'd still have to tighten the springs to make the wood stay intact, so just get more springs in there.

Or you can get this instead - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Hot-Rod-Convertible-Fixed-Bridge-for-Strat?sku=360583
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
I'd say get more springs like 4 or 5 and just max out the claw's screw so that its tightened. For wood blocking, you need to measure a block of wood and stick it to the inner side of the empty bridge compartment. You'd still have to tighten the springs to make the wood stay intact, so just get more springs in there.

Or you can get this instead - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Hot-Rod-Convertible-Fixed-Bridge-for-Strat?sku=360583

wow, those things are fugly man....

just put in three more springs....it'll pull the bridge flush and tada you will basically have a fixed bridge. you'll probably want to back out the screws in the spring cavity back to where the were, with 5 springs pulling on it you might have problems if you leave them all the way in
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
yeh they are ugly, you could just put more springs in and then tighten them up. easier to do then shoving a piece of wood into the guitar
Well that one bridge with the flames was ugly. And I really dont ave the room for 3 more springs. I already have 3 in there. So I think I am just going to shove some wood in the trem and change the nut. If that still dont work I will try to fit more springs. So thanks you guys for your help.
when i blocked mine off i tightened the screws up and jammed a load of beer matts in the trem space bit, it stops the rest of the strings going out of tune when bending a string
depends what way your looking at it. say you are looking at the back of the guitar and the underside of the trem you woud put it to the right hand side
if you hae 3 springs in it, put 2 more, the point is to put as many as you can, it will help, trust me, and if when you have 5 in there it still isnt rigid,. take them all out and put in stiffer springs (talk to your local guitar tech, he/she should have some)

theres no need for a damn block of wood
You'll might need to adjust the action if you're not using a wood coz generally for vintage style 2-point trem, the bridge is lifted 1/8" above the body.

Thats what she said...
UGmusic
you don't need a nut change if your making it hardtail. Just shove a block of wood in the back.
Alright yall. I blocked the bridge and it helps some what. One more question, do I need to tighten the nuts on my locking tuners all the way down once I tune it right? I know, I know, its kind of a noob question but I they are the first set of locking tuners i have put on a guitar. Also if that dont work on helping the tuning stability, seriously, should I put in the locking nut?
Quote by madpickin03
You'll might need to adjust the action if you're not using a wood coz generally for vintage style 2-point trem, the bridge is lifted 1/8" above the body.

vinatge would be a 6 point trem. 2 points were a much later improvement.
Fender blues deluxe and an Epiphone Les paul

Quote by utsapp89
Volume=Emotion.
Wood is the best if you want to block off a trem... Put it behing the block (the the bottom), try and find the biggest peice of wood that will fit...

Reasons for wood over more springs... more sustain!!! and a better tone...

Quote by Yerffej
vinatge would be a 6 point trem. 2 points were a much later improvement.

I think you're mistaking it for the screws, what i actually meant was 2-way. You can set a vintage style syncronized trem to a 2-way (i like to say it 2 point).
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Jun 13, 2006,
Quote by ClaptonRules
Alright yall. I blocked the bridge and it helps some what. One more question, do I need to tighten the nuts on my locking tuners all the way down once I tune it right? I know, I know, its kind of a noob question but I they are the first set of locking tuners i have put on a guitar. Also if that dont work on helping the tuning stability, seriously, should I put in the locking nut?

no, if you have problems after stabilizing your trem and locking tuners you need to get the guitar set up by someone who knows what the hell theyre doing. it really sounds like you might have problems with the neck if you have such bad intonation, have someone set up the guitar and check the intonation and if need be tweak the neck and bridge.
the only reason anyone would need a locking nut would be for a floyd rose where there is so much positive stress put on the strings by bending the strings up (pitch up).
and locking nuts are fugly