I was thinking about getting a Fender Hot Rod series amp (probably the deluxe for price reasons), and was wondering what they sound like.

I know, I know, "Just go to Guitar Center and Play one!" but I'd rather not (I tend to choke if anybody else is around to hear me :P). I was just wondering if somebody could post some sound clips, because I couldn't find any. (both clean and with drive, please)

I (try, heh) to play pretty much everything hard rock, rock n roll, and metal, but my solid state Fender don't cut it in the drive department. Maybe with an overdrive pedal on the Hot Rod I could get that nice saturated metal tone?
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
With the Ds-1 you could get a good early Metal tone, and yes yould be able to get the other genre's tones.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
I Like the DS-1, but it sounds too digital. I use it when I feel like playing 80's hair-metal, but for anything else, it sounds kinda meh... I can get decent sounds from my 212R, but I just want to know if a hotrod would be worth the money to upgrade to.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
You could always mod it yourself or send it out.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by The Master Plan
You could always mod it yourself or send it out.

How much would getting modded cost? or where can I learn to do it?

I play more low-gain rock than metal, so I really would like to have that nice tube tone. So if anybody knows of any sounds clips so I could hear for myself...
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
To get it modded would cost $70. Try www.analogman.com under Boss modds, or go to www.Keeley.com
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
I really would like to know what the amp sounds like... I'm currently bidding on one on ebay. Is the amp worth the price they ask for it new? I'm not going to go any higher than 300 on the bid, but in you're guys' opinions, would it be worth, say, 400 max? The amp is supposedly in near-mint conidition.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
You won't get a great saturated metal tone with a Hot Rod, maybe with a few overdrive pedals, but it won't compare to an amp that's made for metal though...
Fenders are made for their cleans, and def. won't do metal without an overdrive in front.

In all honesty, just go to the shop and try one, it doesn't matter if you choke, take a list of songs to play, don't care what other people think and so on, you need to know what the amp sounds like before you buy.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Alright, alright, already... I'm sure someone will out bid me, anyway. And even if they don't, 260 is a good deal on this thing anyway. :P

But wouldn't a floor model of a tube amp be f-ed up from people who don't know not to play it before the tubes warm up?

EDIT : Also, that's the thing, I don't play much metal. Like I said, I play more low-gain stuff than high-gain. I was just wondering if it could do metal if I needed it to
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Last edited by DeeWhy at Jun 12, 2006,
Why for chris' sake would you want to use a distortion pedal with a tube amp to get a metal tone..?

I recommend the Maxon OD9, or a Boss SD-1 Keeley modded.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

i haven't tried the traynors, but I'd look into the ycv50blue if you play hard rock.

The hot rod has a great clean channel. And that's about it. The drive channels suck majorly. I mean, seriously, they sound like a solid state (they may sound better if you turn it up, but at practice volumes, it's awful).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^True about the overdrive channel on the Fender, I was playing one in Sound Control on Saturday, and the switching from clean to overdrive is like playing 2 very different amps, didn't sound to brilliant on my Strat at all.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I have an Hot Rod Deluxe, I use an MT-2 with it and if you play with it for a bit you can get an absolutely amazing metal sound out of it. But as previously stated, the overdrive channel on the amp is pretty bad.
ive got a deville and you need an od to make the drive usable at all pretty much......but i love the amp, its a really nice amp
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by R_H_C_P
^True about the overdrive channel on the Fender, I was playing one in Sound Control on Saturday, and the switching from clean to overdrive is like playing 2 very different amps, didn't sound to brilliant on my Strat at all.

yeah, i tried one recently. The clean was good, the OD was awful. Like really, really bad.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a DeVille and the drive and more drive channels sound like vaginal bleeding. I have a Digitech DF-7 and a Jekyll and Hyde to make up for it though.
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
Try a peavey classic 30 or 50. In my opinion, they sound a hell of a lot better than a hotrod... I used both frequently when i worked in a music store up until last month.

Good luck

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Just when you say Peavey Classic 30 there, I had looked into that amp a while back, and thought it was very good. More recently, Ive been considering a Fender all-tube, but would a Classic be better for my indie/alt style?
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Why are you going to spend so much money on a Fender Hot Rod amp if you don't even play in front of people? Just use a crappy practice amp. No reason to pay that amount and never gig it.

I happen to have a Hot Rod Deluxe, it's from '74 I think, but sounds completely awesome. Nothing growls like tube distortion.
^ the problem with peaveys in Northern Ireland is trying to find somewhere that stocks them. Every time I've tried a Peavey it's been when I was in England or Scotland. I'm not saying there isn't any shop here that stocks them, there may be some obscure music shop that I don't know of, but I know I haven't seen any over here.

For indie, I'm not too sure.

I haven't tried the classic 50, but I tried the classic 30 head to head with the hot rod. The hot rod probably had slightly better cleans- different would be a better description, with the lower wattage and different tubes (el84's versus 6L6's in the hot rod) of the classic 30, the cleans weren't as clean and pristine. But the classic 50 uses 6L6's, so if you want a totally clean "clean" the 50 would be the way to go. I personally prefer the warmth of the el84's, i think. But then that's because I always think the grass is greener, and my current amp has 6L6's- I think I'd have to own an amp with every typs of tube to make an objective decision about which I prefer, lol.

Anyway, the basic gist is: if clean is your major prerogative, I'd probably go with the Fender Hot Rod. However, be forewarned that the overdrive channels on this amp are awful. And that's no exaggeration. They're absolutely terrible. I play hard rock, shred and metal (which needs distortion) and if I had a hot-rod, I'd only ever go near the clean channel, that's how bad it is.

If you need both clean and a good rock overdrive, I'd go with the peavey. The clean is still "good" (i.e. the peavey does clean about a million times better than the fender does overdrive), and the overdrive, as long as you keep the pre-gain below about 12 o'clock, is very nice. The tone changes as you turn up the gain though, gets a bit muddy and metallic/solid state-sounding at the same time. Still doesn't sound as bad as the fender OD, though.

So there you go. Up to you, really. You'd also want to try out the laney lc30/50 and vc30 combos- I aven't tried them, but they're meant to be nice, and are a bit cheaper than the peavey and hot rod (around £300-£350 as opposed to £400+). EDIT: matchetts stocked them last time I was there, I'm going to see if I can get to try them myself next time I'm there.

Also, if you can make do with 15w and one channel, the fender blues deluxe was a much better amp than the hot rod, IMO. And laney make a few 15 watters of the lc and vc too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its got to get me over drums.......

And yea, NI is a bitch when it comes to trying out amps

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
The over 15 watt Tube amps will get your sound over drums.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by Matt_M_2002
Its got to get me over drums.......

And yea, NI is a bitch when it comes to trying out amps

it's not too bad- it's been a lot better since the emporium opened, at least we can try engl and the like now...

but yeah, it's not great...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, or anyone else for that matter, would an overdrive pedal in front of the clean Hot Rod be anywhere as good as the Peavey drive?

And I *think* (dont quote me though, its been a long time since I was in) I saw a Peavey Classic in that shop opposite YorkGate Train Station. Must return to check it out hehe.

And is it my imagination, or can you get Classic reissues? Anyone any idea of the differences?

'Good' price to pay for a used (i) Hot Rod, (ii) Classic 30 in Northern Ireland?

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
^ where's that shop? haven't seen it before.

Anyway, onto the pedals.

The basic problem is the level of drive you can get from a pedal. Assuming you want your drive to be natural sounding, you basically want to set the gain as low as possible on the pedal, with the level as high as possible, so you're getting as little gain as possible from the pedal- this makes the pedal just basically boost the signal coming from your pickups, and overdrive the preamp tubes (as opposed to getting the distortion from the pedal). You'll struggle to get even hard rock sounds from the fender clean channel with a pedal, in that case.

With the peavey, the OD channel isn't bad, so you're already starting out with a classic to hard rock level of pre-amp overdrive, so using a pedal as a boost will boost that even further, to classic metal tones. Still, the EQ of the amp probably won't allow modern metal tones, even if you can get enough gain.

But anyway, it depends how heavy you need it to get- I haven't tried a pedal over the hot rod's clean channel, so I don't know exactly how good it'll be... I just wouldn't buy a hot rod unless you play mostly cleans and blues, but that's just me. the peavey classic will get you up to classic, maybe hard, rock without a pedal (so will the fender, incidentally, it's just it sounds solid state and crap, basically, IMO).

Second hand- the peavey classic 30 goes for about £400 street, so you'd be looking to get it for between £250-£300 second hand, I'd have thought. I think the HRD is about £400 too, maybe a little more, so a similar price to the peavey's second hand value would be what you'd be looking for...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
You'd also want to try out the laney lc30/50 and vc30 combos- I aven't tried them, but they're meant to be nice, and are a bit cheaper than the peavey and hot rod (around £300-£350 as opposed to £400+)

I haven't tried the LCs, but the VCs I've tried have been great. Very nice clean, with a good overdrive for blues/classic rock stuff. Add in an overdrive pedal and you have a good metal tone too.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Do you know Yorkgate shopping bit? Well if you get yourself to Tescos, your almost there! Go straight out of that little complex from the front door, take a right (passing KFC) then take the 1st left (Iceland is on the corner). Keep walking straight, and the shop is(/was) on the left a few hundred metres up that road.

Would the Peavey Classic 30 be small gig worthy? It would be just over bass, drums.

And also, I realise they are up there pricewise with the Hot Rods, but Marshall DSL401s? I assume from the price that along with paying extra for the nametag, it would have better overdrive and cleans than the Peavey?

Edit; By the way, I play nothing heavier than Snow Patrol

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Last edited by Matt_M_2002 at Jun 14, 2006,
Quote by Prophet of Page
I haven't tried the LCs, but the VCs I've tried have been great. Very nice clean, with a good overdrive for blues/classic rock stuff. Add in an overdrive pedal and you have a good metal tone too.

yeah, i'm actually looking into a vc15/30 myself, when I get round to trying them. Cheers, tom.

Quote by Matt_M_2002
Do you know Yorkgate shopping bit? Well if you get yourself to Tescos, your almost there! Go straight out of that little complex from the front door, take a right (passing KFC) then take the 1st left (Iceland is on the corner). Keep walking straight, and the shop is(/was) on the left a few hundred metres up that road.

Would the Peavey Classic 30 be small gig worthy? It would be just over bass, drums.

And also, I realise they are up there pricewise with the Hot Rods, but Marshall DSL401s? I assume from the price that along with paying extra for the nametag, it would have better overdrive and cleans than the Peavey?

Edit; By the way, I play nothing heavier than Snow Patrol

ah, thanks for the directions. I know where Yorkgate is (the cinema, anyway).

If you play nothing heavier than wuss rock... sorry, i mean snow patrol ( , just joking), the HRD might be fine. You'd really need to try them, to be honest. and those laneys too.

I'm not a major fan of the dsl401. for the stuff you play, I don't think it's a great choice. It's basically the same price as a classic 30. I'd say the classic 30 has better cleans, blues, and classic rock tones, with the marshall starting to take the lead for hard rock/thrash metal type stuff. But I don't like the dsl401, since it doesn't really do uber-modern metal, and sounds a bit modern for the more classic stuff- put it like this, if I wanted a more vintage tone, there'd be other amps I'd pick first, and if I wanted a more modern tone, there'd be other amps I'd pick first. Marshall is kinda trying to hedge its bets and be all things to all people, and ends up not being vintage enough for the vintage crowd, and not modern enough for the modern metallers. Still, you ought to try it, since that's solely my opinion, lol.

I assume the classic 30 would be gig worthy, but I haven't tried it for that.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
DeeWhy,

If you still require sounds clips I can record some stuff tomorrow??

I've had a Hot Rod Deluxe for about 2 years. Cleans are great, drive channels are pretty good. Never tried to play metal through it though - just rock/blue/jazz. I wouldn't have any reservations about recommending the amp if someone can vouch for the metal sound.

I've recently been playing with some decent power valves and it sounds so much better - the stock Sovtek Groove Tubes aren't great (£9 Sovtek 6L6EH's sound better). Favourite at the moment are Sylvania 6L6GC/STR 387 - £50 a valve though! I might try a speaker change soon - Celestion V30 or Green back, £50.

The thing you need to remember is to make a tube amp sound good it needs to driven quite hard. At practice volumes you?re basically only relying on the pre-amp to provide distortion. When you start turning the volume up you get power-amp distortion as well as speaker distortion - that?s when it starts to sound great.
Dave, I think I saw a VC30 down in the Emporium.....

This time next week my exams will be over, so hopefully a summer full of choosing my new amp..... Was very tempted to go to that little guitar shop today actually, but thought better not in case I get carried away and miss my french exam hehe

So I reckon its down to Peavey Classic 30
Laney LC/VC30
Fender HRD

I assume with all being over 30W tube, Id easily get over a full band with a slightly crunchy clean?

And how would 30W be for bedroom practice? I realise I wont get amazing tone at bedroom levels, but could I still get the volume low enough without a hotplate?

Cheers

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
yea, modern hot rods have terrible distortion. the cleans are nice, but for fender their nothing special. I'd say get over your fear of playing in front of people and try everything at your local music store. who cares what people think? and most likely they won't think about anything because they'll be too self obssesed over whatever they're buying
The lc-30 can get low enough for bedroom volumes, the clean channel more so than the od though, and it can drown out drums too.
...Bleep Bloop...
I'd have thought you should be fine even without an attenuator for bedroom practice (although that depends on the quality of the preamp, and how much power tube overdrive you need since I haven't tried the lc). I can get my engl 100/120 (still unsure which, lol) watt halfstack down to bedroom volume fine- but then the preamp in it is amazing...

Also, I'd assume it's loud enough, but again I haven't tried it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?