i've had my guitar for three years. it's pretty much worse than the wal mart guitars, but i still suck. i cant solo at all. i can stuff like "under the bridge" and "classical gas" cuz i dont have much trouble just playing weird stuff like that, but i cant play fast at all. i can hardly finger tap. probably the fastest thing i can play is the solo to "the hell song" by sum 41. does anyone know any songs or exercises i can use to get better?
ok emokid,its ok not all guitarist who play guitar for three years are as fast as me [/ego].Just learn all the songs you can and you will xstart to put peices of it together.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
and why the hell do you hate metallica,thats why your not good,go learn enter sandman ,ALL OF IT!
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Quote by guitarfan93
and why the hell do you hate metallica,thats why your not good,go learn enter sandman ,ALL OF IT!

i second that

yea metallica will get you better in no time
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
play scales and stuff if u really wanna play faster
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
first of all, you do suck.

But on the bright side, you can only get better. JK

Anyways, play scales and learn faster songs. You're not going to get fast playing punk songs. Learn some metallica, slayer, trivium, or whatever your taste in metal/core is.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Quote by Guitarplaya27
i second that

yea metallica will get you better in no time

wow i need to change my signature, i've had that forever.
i changed my mind about metallica like a week ago cuz my friend burned me five of their cds. they just play them on the radio too much. oh, and i can play "laid to rest" by lamb of god, but not quite as fast as it's supposed to go, and i have to strain myself as much as i can just to play it at the speed i to play it at. are you supposed to like double stroke or whatever? (sorry if i dont know what i'm talking about.)
Quote by ohio_emokid
wow i need to change my signature, i've had that forever.
i changed my mind about metallica like a week ago cuz my friend burned me five of their cds. they just play them on the radio too much. oh, and i can play "laid to rest" by lamb of god, but not quite as fast as it's supposed to go, and i have to strain myself as much as i can just to play it at the speed i to play it at. are you supposed to like double stroke or whatever? (sorry if i dont know what i'm talking about.)

you probably mean alternate pick

yes you dont have the right picking style then
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by Guitarplaya27
you probably mean alternate pick

yes you dont have the right picking style then

DAMMIT.

holy trout, i just tried playing with alternative picking, and it was a hell of a lot easier, just really sloppy. i'm going to work on that. thank you.
Go to the shred forum --> technique thread, and look through there.
I have nothing to put in here.
It's because you listen to Taking Back Sunday. They sap your skill away when you listen to them.

But really...sit down with a metronome and play scales at least 30 minutes a day and you'll be faster in no time. Just make sure your form is right--read up on economy picking and economy of movement. (ug lessons and such)
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Quote by ohio_emokid
DAMMIT.

holy trout, i just tried playing with alternative picking, and it was a hell of a lot easier, just really sloppy. i'm going to work on that. thank you.

I always play laid to rest with all downstrokes. I couldn't imagine playing it alternate picking for some reason. Does Lamb of God use alternate picking to play that song?
i dont really know why you people think that you have to play metal to build speed. i dont like metal, and when i work on speed i definatly dont play any metal to work on it. i use exercises to build strength, accuracy, and dexterity, which helps translate into speed.

threadstarter, start by working on some basic exercises using alternate picking at a moderate tempo. start with the really basic chromatic workout you probably learned when starting out. that is, play 1 2 3 4 on the low E, 1 2 3 4 on the A, 1 2 3 4 on the D, etc. then when you get to the 4 on the high e, shift up a fret and play 5 4 3 2 on the e, 5 4 3 2 on the b, etc. make sure you go up the fretboard to at least the 7th fret, more if you want. start at a moderate tempo and play alternate picking eighth notes to a metronome. dont increase the tempo until you are 110% comfortable. after you up the tempo and work on that, go back to the original tempo for a cool down. do this same thing with scales and you have yourself a good start to a speed building workout.

once you feel comfortable with that, pick a song that YOU like that is too fast for you. dont listen to anyone who says to play such and such a song, play what you want. learn to play the song at a slow tempo, maybe 3/4 speed if you can manage that, slower if you cant. play to the song or a metronome until you are 100% perfect at your slow speed. then you up the tempo a small bit, and play it at that speed. when you can do that, up it a bit again. remember to occasionaly go back to your comfort tempo to make sure you are still playing it 100% accurately. build up to the actual tempo of the song slowly and your muscles should be conditioned to play the song well by now, so upping the tempo shouldnt make a huge difference. push yourself to play the song 100% perfectly at its tempo, but playing slowly to start will build up the muscle memory that you need to be able to play at high speeds.

the key to gaining speed is to play the notes accurately with a metronome at a moderate speed to start. kinda strange how it takes playing slow to make you faster, but thats how it works. just do this with the song(s) you want, not whatever band/song the UG populace is recomending for you.
jof1029 gives very good advice. You can play whatever you want to man. It's all about practicing, really sitting down and practicing what you aren't good at. Do it while you watch t.v. during the commercials or at the computer or wherever you can. Just focus on what needs to be done and build up speed. You don't get anywhere but sloppy if you start off fast.