For my birthday in a little under two weeks, I ordered an SG-310. I've only been playing for around 2 months and this is my first electric. I was just wondering if I made a good choice. I don't have the first clue about working on guitars, so I'm wondering if this will be a problem. Also, please don't tell me to save up money and get something better, because it's already paid for and in the house.
It will be good for your first. Do you have an amp coming?
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
You're starting out with an SG? Very impressive. Very good as a first buy, as long as you havew an amp that can really do it justice.
G-310 was my first electric also. Great choice. It plays great, and not to mention your friends who have no idea about guitars will think its the most awesome guitar theyve seen!
"Tuning... who the f*** needs tuning?!"
Last edited by DaDude450 at Jun 11, 2006,
Quote by ZeppelinZed
You're starting out with an SG? Very impressive. Very good as a first buy, as long as you havew an amp that can really do it justice.

I dunno how impressive it is, I just know that my parents told me they'd spend up to 200, and it seemed to be the best rated on Musician's Friend (in its price range). Also, I've heard it makes a good rock sound, and that's what I'm really interested in.
Quote by FloggingMolly62
Yeah, I'm getting the Drive CD100 (I think that's what it's called). It's only 10W, but I think it'll do.

i would actually look at the roland cube series far better than the drive amps though it may be out of your price range
you got a 310 for $200? lol i got a SG special as my first elctric for that much. Ah well, to tell you the truth, that was good buy for a beginner, i 've seen people spend $1000 on their first one and quit in a month so, yeah thats a good choice.

P.S. I hear Vox amps are fairly good for beginners, but i've never owned one, so dont take my word for it.
Not a huge fan of either the amp or the guitar, but they'll do and are a lot better than some of the garbage that you can spend your money on around that price.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Good choice for a beginner guitar. You can also upgrade it later and it will be a decent intermediate level guitar as well.

As for the amp, I've never heard of it, let alone tried it, so I can't really comment on it. I would suggest you look at an Epiphone Valve Junior or Epiphone Valve Junior head + a small cabinet. That way you're starting out with a nice tube amp that doesn't cost a ton.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I kinda figured no one would hear of the amp, but from the looks of it, it had a lot of features and stuff. I'm sure for 10W it'll sound pretty bad, but good to begin with. For the past two months I've been using this crappy 100 dollar off-brand acoustic, so I'm pretty sure not much can be worse than that. Does anyone know if punk will sound good on the SG? Stuff like The Ramones, The Misfits, The Adicts, stuff like that? Thanks for any help.
Quote by ZeppelinZed

You know its not a Gibson, right? The Epiphone G-310 is a pretty decent guitar, Ive played it a few times at Guitar Center. It wasnt the best quality, but for the price your getting it at, it should be worth it. And, yes, it should play punk, and if you want a heavier sound, you can just upgrade the pickups.
the guitar is better than most beginner guitars though its not much more than a beginner guitar, the amp was not a good choice though as Drive makes very, very cheap amps that are very unreliable and sound crappy, a Vox DA15 or DA5 would have been much better
Well right now I only have a little over 100 dollars, and I definately want to buy a hardshell case for it, so that's already 60. As soon as I buy the case, I'm gonna start saving for a decent amp.