my guitar will NOT hold its tune, like AT all, as soon as i tune it, with in seconds it goes back out of tune, like seriously i will get done tuneing it, and after im done with the 6th string, i go back to the 1st string and its out of tune
any help?
does any one kno what might be wrong with it?

my gear
squire stratocaster stage master series
floyde rose bridge
24 frets (dont know if this will help)
2 humbuckers and one single coil (same dont kno if this will help eighter)
dont you need to lock the strings in a floyd rose bridge? or something like that.
im not questioning your intelligence but if you've never had a floyd before their kinda different than your standard vintage tremelo
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
its because its a floyd, you have to tune it a little differently, what i do is tune the 6th sting then the 5th , then go back to the 6th then 5th then 4th then back again and i keep adding a string untill its all in tune, then lock the nut then do the fine tuners in the same way... hope it helps
Quote by the_man101
squire

Quote by the_man101
floyde rose

uhh...this speaks for itself.
A Floyd Rose bridge is a floating trem, so it does just that - float. When you tune one string, the others will go sharp/flat to compensate - for all the strings to stay in tune you need to find the compromise between string tension and spring tension.

All your Floyd Rose needs and questions will be answered here. The particular problem you're having now, is here.
you just have to keep tuning it over and over,it will get closer every time.whats happening is your bridge is moving when you increase the tension.sometimes it takes me 6 or 7 times and then its all good.next time change your strings one at a time.
Yea you gotta get the lock to hold the stings in tune it locks somehow right where the strings fit in above the first fret...also with a squire your truss rod is gunna go outta wack and curve the neck so get that straightened out it will help a lot..
^doesnt make much sense. but the other posts were correct.

so cross tune like said, start with the low E the the high e. then tune the A then the B and so on.
also make sure ur bridge isnt lifted up from the body.

if its lifted then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 11, 2006,
squire stratocaster stage master series
floyde rose bridge

^^^ i believe thats ur problem^^^

not to bash on ur gear or anything.. i have a squire Tele that doesnt stay in tune worth ****, so its probly worse with a FR on it
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25

not to bash on ur gear or anything.. i have a squire Tele that doesnt stay in tune worth ****, so its probly worse with a FR on it

I don't think his guitar is going to have much of an effect on his tuning if he sets up his FR correctly. Stretches properly, fine tunes and locks down properly.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25

dude its cool, it was my first guitar it was 100 bucks used, so i mean every ones first guitar blows, i have an epiphone sg now, i just wanted to see if there was any way to salvage that guitar, bc it sits there just getting dust on it bc it dosnt stay in tune so i dont play it, i justed wanted to figure out how to get it in tune so when other ppl come over i will have an extra guitar to use
Just if that reading is too much, you can try and follow these steps instead.

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Jun 12, 2006,