okay, i dont have a job as im 14 but i do mow lawns over the summer so i dont have that much money as i would like to save some too, but my comps (iBook G4) mic isnt cutting it anymore as i would like to be able to record drums and guitar

first i am going to get a Shure SM57 and a Behringer Eurorack UB1202 mixer , but can i just go from the mixer's output straight to my computer's USB or whatever with a cable or do i need anything else to record into the comp, any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 11, 2006,
Quote by crazyfool91
what the hell does that say. How am i supposed to understand that. lol

You'll need several degrees

Do you make all this money mowing grass?
The behringer will require another multitrack recorder, or I think it will. Are you sure it plugs into your computer?
Via USB is not for the mixer. via USB is for an audio interface, I of course suggest an Audio interface over a Berhinger mixer as it will prove better results, but in the end money has it and the mixer wins. U can, however, connect the mixer to ur computer with one of these. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hosa-Stereo-YCable-Mini-Male--2-14-Mono-Males?sku=333053
The 1/4 male (the fatter one) will plug into the "main out" of the mixer and the 1/8 male (the skinny one) will plug into ur computer either "line in" or the mic jack. Not the best quality but it works
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
^That is an option. I personally use a Presonus Firebox as an audio interface, and a Behringer mixer for submixing the drums.

*Moved to R+R*
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by Schecter1277
You'll need several degrees

Do you make all this money mowing grass?
The behringer will require another multitrack recorder, or I think it will. Are you sure it plugs into your computer?

i make most of it mowing 2 lawns and i have some saved form other stuff (christmas, etc.) and i am asking if it will go directly into my comp or will i need something else? i dont want to have to spend too much though i currently have just enough for the mixer and SM-57, oh and i have a mac so i dont have a line in though i do have a PC in my house which may be okay

what other interfaces would i have to run inbetween the comp and mixer to go via USB?

thanks for moving this, i forgot about the recording forum
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 11, 2006,
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^That is an option. I personally use a Presonus Firebox as an audio interface, and a Behringer mixer for submixing the drums.

*Moved to R+R*

okay now i see what im looking for, the M-Audio Fast track looks like a good, cheaper alternative to the Firebox, this one is USB, what is better, firewire or USB?

if this one will work i will get this and the SM57, and then the mixer and drum mics later

or maybe this if i can get the money
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 12, 2006,
Firewire is faster and "better" than USB, your YMMV though. USB is usually more prone to latency. I used to use my Powerbook line in, I was going to tell you to do that, but I just rembered iBooks don't have one(my mom has an iBook.)

The FW Solo looks decent, but I'd go with the Presonus Inspire for sure for that price range:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-INSPIRE-1394-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=241483

It has the option to plug in two mic's at once. The XLR jacks also multitask as 1/4" cable jacks too. The ratings are .5 higher too.

Quote by That_Pink_Queen
The ratings are .5 higher too.

Lol, I agree though
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
okay its down to the Inspire and the FW Solo, i like the fact that the FW Solo comes with a MXL990 condenser mic but the features arent as good as the Inspire, the Inspire also comes with Cubase LE wchich should be better than garageband, im pretty sure i will go with the Inspire though im not quite sure yet, i like that it has 2 mic and 2 instrument inputs and it just looks like its made of better quality, thanx
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 12, 2006,
Sure, np.

If you get the Inspire, tell me how it goes
I'm thinking of maybe buying one for more inputs.