Ok guys, I plan to buy a Shure SM57 mic and a Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO Micro Mixer.

So here's the signal chain - SM57 Mic > Mixer > Computer (SB Audigy 2 ZS Line-In)

1. Would this setup sound all right for basic guitar work recording (no major studio quality level of sound needed), considering I place the mic properly in relation to my amp?

2. Also, what software would I need, and what are some good recommendations?

3. Oh yeah, will I need any kind of mic-preamp, or will the mixer act as a preamp?

Thanks,
Wade
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Last edited by waylay00 at Jun 12, 2006,
most mixers have built in preamps. That will work fine for basic recording, but for better quality, consider getting some type of interface.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Some mixers have preamps, some don't... it should tell you somewhere on it.

What, specifically, is the "SB Audigy 2 ZS Line-In"? Does it just go into your comp's line in mic for your sound card?

Some free software is Audacity... i believe there is a stickied thread in this forum about programs. Check that one out.
Looking for my India/Django.
I'm quite sure the mixer has a preamp, you should be fine.

Also, I think the mixer might come with Tracktion, which IMO is a really kick ass program. If it doesn't though, I suggest buying it...it's really the best IMO. It's easy to use and understand, and very functional. www.tracktion.com has a demo.

I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yea the mixer should serve u good
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
uhhh no. the mixer would not serve you good. the mixer would be pointless. for the same money you will get a MUCH higher quality preamp than whatever is in a mixer if you lookaround and make some good choices. when looking for a preamp, look in the forums in my signature, its a dedicated recording forum. there is much to be had out there. and for the money you save not getting the mixer(which is extreme overkill when you only need one channel) you can invest in a good interface to replace the soundblaster.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Make sure you don't use that lead that looks like a guitar lead at one end.. and use the one with the triangle type holes.. no idea what they are called lol.. Makes them sound a whole lot better
So what's a good "interface"?

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Toneport Ux1 or Ux2
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
But that's something that you use to plug your guitar into without a mic, right? I'm not going the modeling route. I want to mic my amp and get my real tone.

Last edited by waylay00 at Jun 13, 2006,
dude, get a firewire interface, nice adn easy, awesome sound quality i haev the firewire 410, its awesome
Check out my music *
Quote by elementskater7s
dude, get a firewire interface, nice adn easy, awesome sound quality i haev the firewire 410, its awesome

Do you mic your amp? Or do you run the guitar directly into the device and use software for your effects/distortion sound?

Hmm, I might have to check that out.

Anyways, so I could just mic my amp and plug the mic into the XLR input on the Toneport and have it act as a preamp?

Last edited by waylay00 at Jun 13, 2006,
Yea of course, u have the option of plugging it in too, u kno if u get it ull find tones sometimes that will be better than the real tone. It comes with software called gear box which models vintage amps and amps of all sorts gives u all different kinds of effects from Reverb to Wah to Delay and u can choose between dozens of Clean, Crunch, and heavy guitar effects. It also models the sm57 and condenser mics and u can adjust on the computer the sound u want by adjusting the distance of the mic from the amp. The pic below shows gearbox where u choose the tone u want and the amp and sm57 modelling on the bottom.
Attachments:
gearbox-apercu.jpg