I'm putting a full size humbucker in the neck position of my strat. I'm cutting the pickguard to put it in - my question is: Does it matter where the pole peices of the humbucker are? Do they have to line up with where the origional pole pieces of the strat pickup were or can I have them further forward?

Thanks
Well since I am guessing your pickgaurd has the swimming pool pickup cavity, I would say the easiest way to make it fit correctly is go back, towards the bridge, off the neck pickup hole. And yeah they should line up closely to the old pole pieces, if you measure correctly.
I dont think sound wise it would matter, but cutting much more forward might put it right up against the neck. I just think it would be easier cutting back. But yeah, the front of the hb should be even with where the old pup was.
Quote by ClaptonRules
I dont think sound wise it would matter, but cutting much more forward might put it right up against the neck. I just think it would be easier cutting back. But yeah, the front of the hb should be even with where the old pup was.

The only problem with your theory, mr.clapton, is the fact that the pickup STILL has to mount in the same hole, unless he re-drills it of course.

So by my calculations you'll have to cut both ways, towards the bridge AND nec equally. What you should do is bolt your bucker against the pickguard, take a marker or pencil and trace around it, then cut it out with whatever you're using (dremel?) until it fits easily. you should have a couple MM space extra so your pickup can fit thru the gap.
I think you would have to cut back as well. On guitars with 22 or 21 and humbuckers, the coil closest to the nut is usually on the 24th fret harmonic. The neck single coil on a strat is also on the 24th fret harmonic.
Of course he would have to redrill the mounting hole if he did this.
I don't think it would make much difference if it was alittle further forward though.
But on most strats, you dont have the room to cut forward. You have less then an inch forward from the neck pickup. So if you mount the humbucker in the old route you will have to redrill it. But its easier to just cut backwards.
Quote by ClaptonRules
But on most strats, you dont have the room to cut forward. You have less then an inch forward from the neck pickup. So if you mount the humbucker in the old route you will have to redrill it. But its easier to just cut backwards.

Well afaik humbuckers are only an inch and a half across so you'd be good to go cutting an inch and a half forward and back. You're getting it backwards...

If you were to mount the pickup in a different place you'd have to redrill holes in the pickguard + route further back (assuming you arent lucky enough to have a swimming pool route for this guitar.

It looks like it fits to me, I've done it before w/o too much of a problem at all, I had to route it out a bit but that was expected because it was H/s/s route to begin with.
What ever dude. I did the same mod to an old strat that had a swimming pool route. And using a full size humbucker cutting forward into the pickgaurd towards the neck, will leave you with about 3/32 of an inch between the pickup and the neck. So that would have to put the pup right up against the neck. Threadstartet its easier to cut backwards. Just cut back and redrill the holes to mount it, its less of a hassle.