Quick, simple question (let's hope I make it easy)

I'll use the chromatic scale as an example.

I ascend to the 12th fret, then transition to the string above, then continue. Ascending the scale I have no problem; after each note I play, I leave that finger fretting the note until I slide to either the next section or string. Descending is where I have my question...

E |12-11-10-9---8-7-6-5---4-3-2-1----------------------------------------
B |---------------------------------12-11-10-9---8-7-6-5---4-3-2-1--
G |-------------------------------------------------------------------------
D |-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A |-------------------------------------------------------------------------
e |-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I keep four fingers on the four notes and lift each finger after I play it, or should I play more spider-like? (Pluck the note and lift that finger, pluck the next note and fret the next note with my next finger, etc. etc., playing each section with one finger on the fretboard at a time) I feel much more comfortable playing spider-like rather then the alternative, but I'd like to hear some input. Thank you.
Quote by Wannabehippie
Thats as far as my knowledge of Clapton goes.

Quote by Still Life
I hear he also played guitar
Last edited by Dead_Gods_Live at Jun 12, 2006,
Technically, its not the chromatic scale, but its what I reference for this exercise 'cause when I studied scales, this is an exercise to practice the scale.
Quote by Wannabehippie

Quote by Still Life
whatever you more comfortable with works, and it's probably better they way you're doing for building dexterity and such. the only problem you might run into is when your trying to play something with pull offs, you'll need to have fingers down prior to playing the note.
That same thought occurred to me today. I don't think it'll be too big of a problem, whatever way I choose. Thanks.
Quote by Wannabehippie

Quote by Still Life
There was a post about this a while ago and so I replied with a more detailed answer, but basically if you preposition the fingers you run the definite possibility of pulling off because when you lift the previous finger the notes fretted already and ready to go. With distortion this becomes more apparant. All preference though.

Bry