I've been playing with an acoustic for a little over a month now and I'm having trouble with bar chords like F. At least one string goes dead or buzzes because I have rather short fingers, and I can't seem to exert enough force to barre them correctly (or get into the chord position fast enough... ill have to practice that).

I was wondering, what are those chrome bar things I've seen some guitarists wear on their first fingers? Are they used to help guitarists play barre chords? Do they make such accessories (preferably out of fabric, so that you can still bend your finger)? I was wondering because I cut myself with a knife on my left index finger the other day so I'm wearing a Band-Aid on the cut, and it seems to help me barre chords by making my finger thicker and more numb to barre-chord-induced pain.

Excuse my newbie questions. =) I'm still learning.

Thanks.
Last edited by cleanup at Jun 12, 2006,
I was wondering because I cut myself with a knife on my left index finger the other day so I'm wearing a Band-Aid on the cut

lol, sounded quite emo that. I think you are thinking of a slide though.
I think your talking about a slider, which is used for sliding. There are capo's that bar for you but they dont go on your finger.
yeah the metal thing your talking about is called a slide, it is used to make a certain noise on the strings, not to help you barre. I had the same trouble as you with at least one string buzzing, it just takes practice really
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
Quote by Trivium!
I think your talking about a slider, which is used for sliding. There are capo's that bar for you but they dont go on your finger.

Yeah, I have a capo... I wouldn't be able to play most songs without it, but I still need to be able to play barre chords... it's not like my capo can release and tighten on command (although that would be nice)...

So there's no sort of accessory (perhaps some sort of slip-on nylon/rubber thing) that helps you barre chords? There really should be. Maybe someone should patent that. =) Help out newbie guitarists.

Thanks anyways. Until then I'll just keep practicing. Although someone shoudl really patent that. Don't forget me when you make a million dollars, though.
just practice more, everyone goes on about "o my fingers are to short"but thats bull****, its all technique, just keep tryin an ull get it
yeah youre talking about slides. when i learned F i was told to twist my finger towards me(so the pad of your finger is facing you). this puts your bone pushing on the strings and makes it more sturdy and easier to press down. i learned F in one night thanks to that. it may not work for you but it worked for me.
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
start by just using your fore finger and make sure its rght next to the fret and not in the middle of 2. try using the inside edge o your finger and just practise moving between different positions ie f - g -a -etc until you get a clean consistent sound then add one finger at a time so you play a fm7 then fm then f. just keep plugging away
you just gotta practice barre chords. i was the same way, couldnt figure it out, but all of a sudden, UREKA! and i figured it out. jsut keep practing it.

and the metal thing is called a slide like everyone else has said.
This is how you keep a blonde busy for hours!
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6
My gf tryed to click your sig link and then asked me why it wouldnt work .

Oh.. wait....
Quote by cleanup
Yeah, I have a capo... I wouldn't be able to play most songs without it, but I still need to be able to play barre chords... it's not like my capo can release and tighten on command (although that would be nice)...

So there's no sort of accessory (perhaps some sort of slip-on nylon/rubber thing) that helps you barre chords? There really should be. Maybe someone should patent that. =) Help out newbie guitarists.

Thanks anyways. Until then I'll just keep practicing. Although someone shoudl really patent that. Don't forget me when you make a million dollars, though.

Like a condom??
Quote by MastaBassist10
Like a condom??

im considering sigging that!
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112