I play for like nearly a year. I can play quite a few songs and i never had guitar lessons or something i just played tabs and stuff but what i wanted to know is... should i take lessons or just keep playing tabs... Have you, if you are experienced, ever had lessons or did you also teached your self?
get lessons. it is much better to learn from someone who is experienced than teach yourself and end up learning the wrong things. lessons are the way to go.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i taught myself as much as i could until my lack of knowledge of music theory was beginning to hold my back. this is where i decided it would be better to take lessons from an experienced, professional musician who knew what he was doing. if you live in the dexter, missouri, area, come to dexter music center and talk to mike cokenhour. i'm not an employee trying to get you into the store (they do have good gear though), i'm just a satisfied customer.
yeah just never do as i did, i went straight for lessons before i even strummed my strings, that was a HORRIBLE idea. I wish i could go back and wait a year with my guitar before i started lessons, i ended up wasting a year and it cost money too.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I've been mostly self-taught for...10-11 years now, and I'm thinking of taking lessons because I pretty much suck Taking lessons from a competent teacher is always the best idea. Remember, even Tiger Woods and every major league baseball player use swing coaches.
Hi, I'm Peter
Ye, internet has been a great teacher too. Its pretty hard to find a experienced teacher where i live. But i think the local music stores should know some.
Watch out when going to the local music stores though. They often try to say that they all can teach you. What you should do is ask a couple guitar players around your area to find out who they were taught by. That might actually help more.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
yeah, what Roymond said, and check this article out on finding a teacher if you want :http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/choosing_a_teacher.html . i dont think its really a good idea to settle for less when getting a teacher, it defeats the purposed on costs too much.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥