hey, im asking for a new amp for my birthday. i think my limit is up to around 500$ to tell the truth im not radically good but im okay. i dont really know any songs cause my computer doesnt have a printer and its in my living room but my chops are pretty good, like my bends and stuff. and im hoping once i get a new guitar(epi les paul)and amp i can start playing for my churchs youth group.(yes they play decent stuff) they usually play on a smallish stage with a few singers ,drums,guitar bass and keyboard (yeah pretty cramped) to a decent number of people. but every once in a while theyll play some large venues, in a big room with two or three hundred people. so i need a good amp that is pretty loud and i would like it to be really versatile but mainly classic rock tones to classic metal tones(eg randy rhoads)again my limit i think is around 500$ in american money. i doubt i could way over that. ive been thinking vox valvetronix ad100vt. but are there any other amps i should try around this range?

thanks
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Peavey Classic 30 maybe? I dunno about the distortion though, you might want to throw in some sort of OD-pedal, like a Maxon Od808 or Od9 ....

Definitely go tube though I say.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

i probably need at least 50 watts tube and a more vesatile amp than a peavey, but thanks anyways
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

^ 30 watts all tube is loud as fuck.

seriously, to double the volume, you have to multiply the wattage by 10 (roughly, and all things being equal).

so a 100 watt amp is only twice as loud as a 10 watter.

i'd get a classic 30 and od, or maybe a traynor ycv of some kind (probably the 50 blue), but i think they're $600-$700. Haven't tried the traynor, but they're meant to be great. The classic 30 could handle randy-era ozzy fine when I tried it, and I didn't get to crank it- cranking it adds power tube distortion, so it gets even heavier, and sounds awesome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how much is a peavey 30? and would they have it at guitarcenter?is it pretty versatile?would it be able to get angus and page tones?which overdrive pedal should i get? and how is the peavey valveking? ive heard mixed things about it.what kind of tone can you get out of it?would they have that at guitarenter?

thanks
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Last edited by marvelboy_04 at Jun 12, 2006,
The Classic 30 goes for around $570 new, but you can find them for as low as $400 on eBay (sometimes even lower). Your main overdrive choices are probably going to be an Ibanez Tubescreamer or a Boss SD-1, depending on the tone you want. As Dave explained to me a while back, a Tubescreamer will give you a smoother OD boost, while the SD-1 will be more of a screaming lead sound.

And the Valve King, I've heard, has some reliability issues surrounding it. But a used Classic 30 will go for about the same price used as a new Valve King, so your best bet is probably the Classic 30.

EDIT: Though I haven't personally tried a Classic 30 yet, my research indicates that it should be able to give you the Angus/Page tones you're looking for. If not, an OD could easily compensate.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Jun 12, 2006,
The Classic's are really nice amps, the overdrive channel is lacking a bit for more than classic rock, but that's what the overdrive pedal is for.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Kryptonite_0194
Peavey Classic 30 maybe? I dunno about the distortion though, you might want to throw in some sort of OD-pedal, like a Maxon Od808 or Od9 ....

Definitely go tube though I say.

^i whole heartedly agree
would they have a classic 30 at guitarcenter? and if i do find a good quality valveking,what kind of tone does it have?and is there any place i can get soundclips for this amp? thanks
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

I'd get the peavey classic 30 for the tones you want. I tried the classic 30 head to head with the valveking, and I preferred the classic 30. That being said, the valveking did modern tones a bit better (not ultra modern, but like modern rock). But if randy-era ozzy is the heaviest you get, I'd go with the classic 30. I could get those style of tones without a boost. and at low volumes. Randy-era ozzy isn't over-distorted.

check www.musiciansfriend.com to see how much they go for at GC- as I understand it, they're the online version (i think).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
classic 30 = amazing

it can do classic rock and blues amazingly, and the clean channel is gorgeous

get that with an overdrive and you should be fine
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

thanks again for all the advice but again can i get it at guitarcenter or samash?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by marvelboy_04
thanks again for all the advice but again can i get it at guitarcenter or samash?

more than likely.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?