hey, ive got a little problem. my guitar teacher/hopeful future bandmate is wanting to buy a marshall mg half stack. he even tried it out and said he thought it sounded fine.he doesnt know much about guitar gear and stuff. only how to play well. he said something one time along the lines of you dont need to know everything about it just if it plays well. i mentioned to him that from what ive heard mgs arent good but he wouldnt believe me.(ive never tried one but from what you guys say its not good)
he justs wants it for the loudness because hes in a band thats startng to play learger gigs and stuff. also i think hes fallen a little bit to the whole all marshalls rock mindset. his gear now is an epi les paul custom which the neck is cracked some after he threw it around him and it hit something or something like that. so hes planning on buying a gibson sg standard. his other gear is a fender frontman 212r, a digitech gnx3 which he mainly just uses for the rectifier effect and he just started using i think a cheapish wireless system. im thinking because of the pedal he should still be fine soundwise,but i dont know. what should i do?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Last edited by marvelboy_04 at Jun 12, 2006,
i mentioned to him that from what ive heard mgs arent good but he wouldnt believe me.(ive never tried one but from what you guys say its not good)

Then why don't you try one and get your own opinion?
HOMGZZZZz
they arent bad imo, if he likes it let him get it and stop bitchen about it just because other people dont like it.
^ +1. Whether or not an amp is good is an opinion. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
yeah i mean i thougt it would be fine with his pedal.just you know i was wondering if there are any other amps i should tell him to try like a tube combo or something. i mean his fenders not bad but its not great .and if i do end up playing with him i dont want us to have crappy tone.and again he mainly just wants it for the loudness. i was just thinking maybe it would be in his best interest to maybe go tube and just mic it. or maybe he could get something a little smaller and save some money for that sg hes wanting
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

Last edited by marvelboy_04 at Jun 12, 2006,
(a) if he's that set in his ways you probably won't convince him.

(b) but if you want to try...

try it yourself first. against other amps in the same price range, and slightly above. He's perfectly entitled to say "what do you know, you haven't tried it!" at the moment.

(c) then get him to MAKE SURE he tries other stuff in the same price range as the MG (smallish tube combos (peavey classic 30, laney lc/vc series, marshall dsl401 etc.), roland cube, vox valvetronix etc.). You can never tell that something is crap if that's the only thing you try. It has to REALLY suck before you can tell something's bad if you have nothing to compare to.

(d) Don't preach to him. He's less likely to listen. Try to make it seem that he discovered himself that the MG sucks.

(e) make sure he gets to crank the MG (and the other amps he's trying- especially if they're all tube). From what I hear (i've tried them, but haven't got to crank them) once the master hits 4, the tone turns to crap. I thought the tone was already crap at low volumes, so I can only assume how bad it gets.

(f) Make it clear that you're trying to help him get the best amp he can for the cash.

(g) under NO CIRCUMSTANCES let him read any reviews of the amp, either on this site, HC, musicians friend, guitar magazines, etc. On sites like this and HC the gushing reviews are written by people who have owned it for about 15 minutes, and most likely have never tried a decent amp. On MF, much like here and HC, plus they're trying to sell them. And in the guitar mags, Marshall pays for advertising in the mags, they aren't going to slag them off. LOL. Or at least, let him read them, but point out the flaws in the reviews.

(h) be ready to accept the fact that he may just plain end up liking it. If he does, there's nothing you can do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, thanks for the advice Dave.im looking at amps around that price range too, but i havent been to a guitarcenter in a while cause i live like an hour away
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

^ you're in the USA (i assume so if you say GC)?

i'd take a look at the peavey classic 30. it was very nice when i tried it, as long as you don't need modern metal tones. Or some traynors (valve amps), but I haven't tried them.

Also, don't forget you can use an overdrive pedal over a valve amp's overdrive channel to boost the gain.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok,thanks
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

And Dave wins again with advice!
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
yeah a few months ago, i read that MG's suck, but i hadnt tried one yet. i was like "they can't be THAT bad, right?" i was wrong
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
and this guy is YOUR teacher? unless hes a teenager i dont want to beleive that a good guitar teacher has an a mediocre epi and a SS fender. My guitar teacher has a PRS, A Marshall TSL Half Stack and Fender Twin Reverb 65
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

yeah, hes about seventeen.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by marvelboy_04
yeah, hes about seventeen.

Teacher.... at seventeen?

You sure you trust him?
Roland Micro Cube

Quote by PunishedOne
And Dave wins again with advice!

thanks, man.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^

What happened to your mod powers?
Roland Micro Cube

^ the tavern thingy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ sorted.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 12, 2006,