Just cleaned my Les Paul fret board. Took off strings, used 0000 steel wool to polish frets and get dirt off. Then used some lemon oil on the fret board. New Elixir strings and presto! Plays awesome!! I need to do this a few more times a year.
thanks for the update

... you do know everyone does this on a regular basis, right?
Quote by blinnk16
Thanks epacers, that was a load of help.

Quote by gnarly_
I respect you man...Your going on my people who dont suck list...
Yea, I usually oil and wool the board maybe once or twice a month, usually when I change strings. Bitch to do it with a floyd though
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
I do that once every 2 weeks, afterwords it feels like a brand new guitar.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
I haven't yet, don't think I've even polished my guitar. Poor thing must feel neglected.

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
i got a quick question, sorry for hijackin the thread.

when i was at GC, they told me i shouldnt take all the strings off my strat at once, cuz the floating bridge or whatever, it might mess it up. could i still take the strings off just to clean it or no?
This is how you keep a blonde busy for hours!
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6
My gf tryed to click your sig link and then asked me why it wouldnt work .

Oh.. wait....
What I do sometimes and keep the high and low E string on. They are easy to move out of the way to clean the board then put on new ADGB strings and take off the old E's and replace them.
the small guitar store where i bought my guitar acutally sets up my guitar for free for a life time. they didnt even want to see a reciet, they remembered my face and the guitar they sold. well i had it set up by them and they also cleaned the fretboard and frets. i didnt expect it, but i was happy
Sounds like a good idea mate, although I have such a crap guitar I really dont mind if it gets dirty at all.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Yeah I think my guitar could do with a clean its been one and a half years.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by el_strato

when i was at GC, they told me i shouldnt take all the strings off my strat at once, cuz the floating bridge or whatever, it might mess it up. could i still take the strings off just to clean it or no?

I've read that's not true. I did it with my strat knockoff and nothing bad happened.
^It's not true, I do it with my Strat, no troubles.

And I use Mr.Sheen
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
What is this steal wool? I've only used lemon oil......does it do anything else that the lemon oil alone doesn't?

its like extremely fine sand paper but its a little steel ball. it just helps get the excess dirt off the fretboard.
Just gets dirt ect off from our dirty, grubby, nose-picking, butt-scratching fingers . Lemon oil tend to just kinda "polish" the board and wipe away stuff than actually clean ground in sorta stuff. Idk but it feels good when your done cleaning it
If your strat has a floating bridge then you will run into problems (I block mine up before removing the strings), but it's rather unlikely your strat actually has a *floating* bridge...
Unless you've put it in there yourself.
Quote by epacers7
thanks for the update

... you do know everyone does this on a regular basis, right?

Actually you could not be further from the truth. Most players don't do this. It's very easy and helps a great deal. Many inexperienced players neglect these simple care tips. I have been playing and teaching for 20yrs and don't see it enough. Even some of the veteran players I know get too lazy.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
What is this steal wool? I've only used lemon oil......does it do anything else that the lemon oil alone doesn't?

You MUST make sure it's only 0000 (four zeros) steel wool anything else is too strong.
cool... thanks for sharing
Quote by GizmoKaKa
My face resembles a buttocks.

Quote by guitar?
I used to hold down my dog and piss on it. I don't have a dog anymore.
Quote by el_strato

they told me i shouldnt take all the strings off my strat at once, cuz the floating bridge or whatever, it might mess it up. could i still take the strings off just to clean it or no?

some guitars get ****ed up because of that, but strats have truss rods, and that makes your life simple, if you didn't have the truss rod, the neck would warp...
I should probably start doing that
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
Quote by el_strato

its not going to break the guitar, BUT if ur not that great at setting up ur guitar yet, you might want to swap one at a time.

taking off all the strings leaves more room for setting changes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
when u go for a setup. u should be clear as to what u want done, and what the price is for those services.

action and pickup height or pole pc height.
intonation, cleaning, string gauge, neck angle.

maybe u want a different tone, or lower action, ect.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011