Hey,

I am looking at EMGs and Seymour Duncan pickups, but I can't figure out what to go with. I play alot of Slash's stuff, but I am also a big Metallica fan. How can I get the best of both worlds? I hear that EMGs are great hi-gain pickups...but seem abit lifeless. I am concerned that the Duncan's won't have enough bite for metal like Metallica.

My Guitar:
Agile AL-3000 (Les Paul copy)

Two packages I am considering:

Seymour Duncan (don't know much about these): Alnico II pro Neck and Bridge
EMG: 81 bridge and 60 neck

Advice?
1999 Taylor 410 Bearclaw
2006 Agile AL-3000
2006 Schecter S-1 Blackjack
If Mustaine uses the JB for the Bridge, you shouldn't have to worry about it not having enough bite.

Besides, EMGs just give you a ton of gain and add noise, not clarity.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
If you get EMGs get an 81 in the bridge, and a 60 in the neck (Hetfield style) with the 18v upgrade, it sounds a whole lot better.

If you're looking for duncans look into livewires (Regular or Mustaine signature).
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Whats your amp? Are you dead set on Seymour's or EMG's? EMG's will only sound the best in a nice amp, are you looking for older metallica sound or newer?
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Old Metallica

Right now I am stuck with a Zoom fire 18. Not bad, but not tube. I am a tube guy...but being stuck on a military base I don't really want to carry around an expensive amp.
1999 Taylor 410 Bearclaw
2006 Agile AL-3000
2006 Schecter S-1 Blackjack
A new amp will get you closer to the '80s Metallica tone rather than new pickups.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
i'd get something like an alnico II pro for th neck for slash, and something heavier, like a custom 5, for the bridge for old metallica. EDIT: if you must stick to duncans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea I would just stick with passives for old 'Tallica. That way you can get different tones easier and still nail old metallica with ease. Don't limit your options to just seymours though, check out DiMarzio, Swines and Bareknuckles, if you have the money, too.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
I have the EMG's but I have an 81/85 set, they have TONS OF LIFE! turn down the volume to like 5, yes turn it down, that is what the volume knob is there for, then you get beautiful cleans, form the 81, 85 is more bassy. I suggest the 60 for the neck, that is what I am getting soon.
EMGs. Nearly no noise, great tone , lots of bite, intense tone.

Duncans are good but I haven't seemed to find one that's good for metal. Liek that has the right voicing I'm looking for.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman