I'm wondering on what the general consenus is on what the basic amount of theory that is required to start a band? Don't be afraid to get very specific...
God.....Why did I add Mudvayne to my name?
Please forgive me my fellow brothers (and sisters i guess..?) in guitar.
Well judging by what i've seen out there before.

None.

Although I'd think, since i'm about to get into my 1st band, a good idea is to have a very basic discussion to see if they understand

A) How to locate notes on the fretboard, they don't have to be fast at it, but if I say A, they could eventually find an A

B) Learn how to write out major and minor scales, again not fast, but just so you can get the "always works" I, IV, V songs and stuff to help writing.

All other things can generally be taken care of by looking things up. Need to know what a chord is? Well you could just use a program/website etc to figure it out (I just type it in powertab usually and use the "chord identification tool" for example.)
Alright that's very reasonable...say I'm looking to start a high-caliber metal band or I'm starting a three chord rock band...what would be the difference of knowledge required?
Quote by Mudllica
Alright that's very reasonable...say I'm looking to start a high-caliber metal band or I'm starting a three chord rock band...what would be the difference of knowledge required?

You would need more knowledge for a metal band than a band that uses only three chords. For the latter, all you would need to know is...three chords. For the metal band, you would need to know more because chances are, you will want to write solos. You need to know the key of the song and everything. Sometimes, you can work it out by ear, but why waste time when you could just use the appropriate key?
Well I have a very novice drummer so we'll probably keep stuff simple at first...but we'll probably get more technically advanced as our drummer gets better.
yea id say for metal you should at least have basic knowledge of theory..bit probably more importantly, rythm and speed...especially for the drummer