I'm considering buying a mexican strat and fixing it up as a project guitar. I'd really like to learn some stuff by fixing one up this summer, and I'd like a single coil sound. I have a Les Paul Custom with it's double humbuckers so I want something a bit different like single coil. I'm going for that Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, and Death Cab tone. (not that they all have the same tone, but I play that type of music.)

Any suggestions on what I should get or what I should know are appreciated. Brands, types, opinions on the fender strat. Anything. I don't want to make a mistake.

Price: 300-500. I'd really like to stay near 300 as much, but saving a little more is an option. I have a peavy amp, 30 watt, classic.

Thanks a bunch.
Last edited by haywire robot at Jun 12, 2006,
Obviously check out the Fender Telecaster first, then look into PRS SE EG's, as i've heard they're pretty good. Ibanez also do a couple of single coil models, not sure how good they are though
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
the yamaha pacifica fat strat model 112J ($200usd) is a pretty good starter guitar.
made of alder, stays in tune fine. the pickups arent great but ur swapping that anyway.

if ur not keen on it being a fat strat, u can always swap for a single at the bridge spot. ud just need a new pickguard.

if ur sure u want to spend $300, then look for a used MIM strat or save for a new one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
A Fender Tele maybe if you don't want a Strat?

I have a Fender Standard Strat, and I absolutely love it, if you get a MIM Strat. make sure you try before you buy.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
maybe try or install some coil splitters?
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Definitely try a MIM Tele. I prefer them over Strats anyday. Tele bridge pups have a really good tone when they're played through an overdriven amp. My best experience with a Tele is when I played one through a Marshall JCM2000. Easily has one of the best tones I've ever heard out of a guitar. It was godly. IMO, Tele's are easily one of the best guitars out there, especially for the price. I really wish I would have bought a Tele over my Epi LP Custom.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Ambulance X
Definitely try a MIM Tele. I prefer them over Strats anyday. Tele bridge pups have a really good tone when they're played through an overdriven amp. My best experience with a Tele is when I played one through a Marshall JCM2000. Easily has one of the best tones I've ever heard out of a guitar. It was godly. IMO, Tele's are easily one of the best guitars out there, especially for the price. I really wish I would have bought a Tele over my Epi LP Custom.

Funny, I have the same guitar as you and am looking into a tele now. They go for virtually the same price as the fender strats so I will definatley check them out. I've heard they are used for country music (not a fan) but all the bands I listen to use them..

And I put this in the wrong forum..hopefully a mod can move it. Damn, I'm really not awake today. Sorry guys.
Last edited by haywire robot at Jun 12, 2006,
What bands do you listen to that use Teles?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Is the standard one for 399 or so good? I'm not really looking to spend tons I'll fix this guitar up as I go along.
Eh, I don't listen to any of those bands. The Standard is great for the price. The only thing you might wanna change is the hardware and such. The pick-ups are great, IMO.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Pickguard might be a hassle. Bridge should be easy. Same for tuners.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
K sweet. I think I'm gona go check a tele out at Guitar Center, are more colors offered then just the ones on Muscian's Friend?
Hmm, maybe a Thinline Telecaster? Has humbuckers, so will handle everything you want, and Coldplay's guitarist uses one too, so you'll get close to his sound.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30