I play punk, but I'd love to learn how to play metal, due to the lack of talent in punk. Can anyone help me? Oh, and please don't give me links to lessons on this site (unless they don't require ANY knowledge of theory), because I have no knowledge of theory, and have already checked all of these lessons out. I'd really like to learn how to solo eventually, but know nothing about the "pentatonic boxes" or the "Circle of fifths" or ANY music theory...thanks for your help in advance.
I've tried to learn, but it's really confusing. I would love to learn, honestly I would. I've tried looking in the "lessons" section to learn, but it is really hard. All I know about music theory, is how to find A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and all their sharps and flats. (i.e. E 1(F)--2(F#,Ab)--3(A) etc etc). Is there any hope for me
Yeah dude, you need to know at least some basic theory to be able to solo well, not to mention knowing a couple of scales. It's better in the long run to just sit down and learn basic theory, you can learn a ton in just a few hours of reading. Trust me, you gotta learn at least a little.

Try just listening to a bunch of metal and seeing if it's for you first. You might be like me, like the guitars and stuff in Metal music, but not like metal music that much.

Edit, ARGH! beat me. Anyway, if it's that confusing for you, try getting someone to teach you. Take band lessons, w/e. I learned when I was just a kid in band, so that worked for me.
I think it'd be kinda hard to learn anything from lessons on line without knowing some theory. I remember when I had first started playing guitar and I looked through a lot of the lessons around here it was all nonsense to me because I had no idea what they were talking about. I think it'd probably be worth the time to learn theory a little better first, you don't have to master it though. I don't know really know what to tell you in relation to your question but to listen to metal and learn a lot of metal songs and riffs.
So what do you guys suggest I do about learning theory? I can't take lessons because everything is well out of the way. Thanks for the help.
Well there's a basic lessons section on here that's decent, I guess. You could go to cyberfret.com as well, that's even better I think. You could just use a search engine and type in "basic music theory lessons" or something like that too, if you wanted, but you might get some of that stuff you have to pay for as well so I don't know if you'd want to bother searching through.
if you aren't talented enough to play punk, give up on metal...
Muddy Waters invented electricity.
Learn music theory when you have the motivation too. Theory is quite tough to learn, and it doesn't just "come to you" overnight, neither does learning to solo well. My advice is take punk to a different level, don't limit yourself to just ONE genre. I mean if you like to play punk but its not full of Hendrix and Clapton-talented guitarists, then reinvent punk. There's always an edge to everything, you just need to find yours and also find whatever you wish to achieve out of your guitar playing. Take it or leave it, its just my advice.
Quote by Wannabehippie
Thats as far as my knowledge of Clapton goes.

Quote by Still Life
I hear he also played guitar
Quote by thegreensquall
if you aren't talented enough to play punk, give up on metal...

I didn't mean that the lack of talent is me, I meant that punk doesn't take a whole lot of talent to play...I'll start being more specific.

Quote by Dead_Gods_Live
Learn music theory when you have the motivation too. Theory is quite tough to learn, and it doesn't just "come to you" overnight, neither does learning to solo well. My advice is take punk to a different level, don't limit yourself to just ONE genre. I mean if you like to play punk but its not full of Hendrix and Clapton-talented guitarists, then reinvent punk. There's always an edge to everything, you just need to find yours and also find whatever you wish to achieve out of your guitar playing. Take it or leave it, its just my advice.

You're right Dead_Gods_Live....that's pure genious....I think The Unseen tried that though...they're OK, but they're slightly on the emo side. Hm, well either way, that's a very intelligent thing to come up with....I'm going to try it....maybe learn how to solo a bit...just a bit, and throw it in after a bunch of power chords or something...I don't know, but if I ever decide to record it, you'll be the first to see. Thanks.
Hey, there's always hope, I play metal and I don't know a **** about music theory. I will find a teacher so i can read music and know the theory in a while though, don't want to be dumb.
Well I've been playing for like 9 months and can already play solos, first one I've learned was the intro solo for "One" of Metallica, the fastest I've played was probably Fade to black or Master of Puppets, i still don't know them perfectly but it's accurate
From the looks of your post you just want to play to be "cool", because it's the "cool" thing to do..
One must have SOME theory under their belt, and you should find the motivation and put the effort into it if you are really up for it
FREE THINKERS ARE DANGEROUS
What's "cool" to do? I just want to get good at playing guitar. If you knew how to read, you'd realize I don't understand theory..but that's ok now because I found a teacher today, and hopefully I learn some.
You're going nowhere in metal without music theory.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
If you don't understand music theory from one lesson, look for another. All articles and lessons are written with a target audience in mind, as with almost anything else in life. Look for one that speaks to you. You'd be amazed how different wording will open up possibilities for you. To a further extent, articles speak and can't listen, we can. Post any specific questions here and we can easily determine your level and give you answers in terms you can understand, that's the beauty of this website over a one-way lesson.

As for the metal to punk, I'm not sure what your definintions are, but almost all metal I know of is far more complex than punk. Punk is more about the statement and the message in vocals as opposed to the other instruments, while metal expresses alot of it's emotion in fast, hard hitting riffs. It's definently not as easy as it sounds, especially when you get to intergrating palm mutes and normal notes at high speeds.

Bry
Quote by CowboyUp
Try just listening to a bunch of metal and seeing if it's for you first. You might be like me, like the guitars and stuff in Metal music, but not like metal music that much

thats how i am
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!