Page 1 of 2
Ok, yes i am the guy posting the modding of my guitar, but i played on a les paul and it was awsome! BUT it was a Lp-100 i want more features, so i know it wont be a light as that
Generic Forum Geek: Well try one out at your store!

My local store got squezzed out by gibson, with the 100,000 dollars a store thing, and the nearest one is GC which is an hour away!

So plz tell me, im between the ebony std (just std.) and heritage cherry studio, are they really THAT heavy? Thank You
NO, if you think they are your mouse not man or women

!!!feel the funk blast!!!

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN
no not really, obviously you can notice a difference between a LP and a Strat, but it's not too heay to be comfortable
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Nee... Not really. But I second fwibbles post.
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
They are heavy (compared to my strat knock-off), however you get used to it.

NO, if you think they are your mouse not man or women

Some people have back/neck issues, and can't play heavy guitars. that doesn't make them less of a man/woman.
Most strats io played are like 5 punds a LP is heavy but not that heavy maybe like 9 maybe 10 punds
its not that bad
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I think they hurt, but I'm a skinny little bastard, so you'll have to see for yourself.
Heavy, yes. Too heavy, no. Actually, it doesn't depend. Really, you just want a wide strap to distribute the weight better. That'll keep you up and playing the longest with any guitar.

Go for a Gibson standard, not a studio. Assuming you can get a translucent ebony, and not their plain kind. But that's all taste.
Quote by hobo467
I think they hurt, but I'm a skinny little bastard, so you'll have to see for yourself.

lol im built big (not fat you dimwit, seriously) and is there a difference between (in weight) a epiphone and gibson?
Oh! Epiphone, cool. Get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, then. The standards aren't that good.
Quote by Fargalas
Oh! Epiphone, cool. Get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, then. The standards aren't that good.

oook
Quote by Fargalas
Heavy, yes. Too heavy, no. Actually, it doesn't depend. Really, you just want a wide strap to distribute the weight better. That'll keep you up and playing the longest with any guitar.

Go for a Gibson standard, not a studio. Assuming you can get a translucent ebony, and not their plain kind. But that's all taste.

I dunno, i like my studio's appearance than most standards. i guess that's just me though.
Quote by Fargalas

Standard & Custom = same ****ing thing.
Quote by Fargalas

Waht if i cant afford that? hell i can only afford an ebony std. at the most
Quote by Arlabester
Waht if i cant afford that? hell i can only afford an ebony std. at the most

Just get what you like.
Quote by Spamwise
I dunno, i like my studio's appearance than most standards. i guess that's just me though.

yeah the black pickguard and no binding make it look cleaner but is the studio lighter?
Quote by KurrptSenate
they are about 12-15 pounds

HOLY HELL! dude i dont think so, i was using a lp-100 and it was like 6, no way a studio or std, is twice the weight
All the ones i have played have been between 8-12 but i played a custom that was 14
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Arlabester
HOLY HELL! dude i dont think so, i was using a lp-100 and it was like 6, no way a studio or std, is twice the weight

ive played standards that were 13 pounds.

My PRS single cut is EASILY over 12 pounds. Id say 14 if id have to make an educated guess
My shoulder starts to hurt after 20-30 minutes

If you're doodling for 5 minutes or w/e, theres no difference

Quote by KurrptSenate
ive played standards that were 13 pounds.

My PRS single cut is EASILY over 12 pounds. Id say 14 if id have to make an educated guess

Wtf? What kind of guitars are you playing? Made out of concrete?
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Last edited by la bamba at Jun 12, 2006,
Les Paul himself is 91 and he uses one. NO they are not that heavy. There are just a lot of weak-ass wuss babies here who try to bash Les Pauls any way they can.

Also, The Epi Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard are identicle except for cosmetics. There's no reason to go for the custom unless you're buying for looks (Which is BAD! :no

Check out the Epi LP Standard Plain Top. It's better than the regular Standard and is only $20 more. It's probably the best non-elitist Epi LP. It has an all mahogany body and plain maple top, instead of the alder/mahogany body with a flame maple veneer top like the regular standard.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Fargalas

Or you can get the Classic, which isn't as expensive, but plays just as nice.
I tell you what... this is the reason I just sold my LP Studio. I still haven't delivered it yet, but man that thing has the SWEETEST tone. I took it out last night and afterwords, my shoulder felt like a got chopped or something! It wasn't a "oooo it hurts!" type thing, I just could feel it. That's why I push PRS in all these threads. I love the 8lbs of pure art swinging on my neck. Course an LP ain't nothing to turn your nose up at! Just the weight difference.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
^It's still the same guitar. The only differences between the Classic and the Standard are the quilt maple veneer and lack of pickup covers. And the Classic is $60 more than the ebony Standard and $40 more than the worlds better LP Plain Top.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Arlabester
yeah the black pickguard and no binding make it look cleaner but is the studio lighter?

i don't believe so.

i think mine is 11lbs.
Quote by Fargalas

I disagree with you there, I A/B'd my standard with my friends custom (both had EMG's) no difference whatsoever soundwise
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
the only trouble ive had with the weight of mine was one gig where i was going pretty sick on stage and moshing and dancing n shit for a 45 minute set and the next morning i had a sore shoulder...

thats it...

personally i prefer heavy guitars...i like to really FEEL the guitar hanging round my shoulders
i have a strat, but i tried a les paul out when i was looking for a new guitar. they aren't that heavy. but if u r getting a les paul, make sure u get strap locks. i know this guy that was playing one without straplocks and the strap gave out. he didn't catch it and it landed on his foot. he totaled the guitar and his foot.
Back when I wore an LP (now I "sit" and play) for what seemed like hours I grew to appreciate Jimmy Page and the other LP Players who wore the damn thing for hours too - My shoulders and back ached for a long time till I finally got used to it. Now @ 54 I actually have artheritis in my right elbow and shoulder - I'm a Painting Contractor but I always felt the LP probably did it - just like the Marshalls made my hearing a wee bit dull... back in the day we stood in front of them BLASTING without P.A.'s or Mics. When I am on my death bed I shall always remember when I first turned a Marshall 100-Watt Superlead (1970 Model) to 10. I felt it in my chest (I was facing it) and the Cops came within minutes. I was hooked then...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Xenn99
^It's still the same guitar. The only differences between the Classic and the Standard are the quilt maple veneer and lack of pickup covers. And the Classic is $60 more than the ebony Standard and $40 more than the worlds better LP Plain Top.

I find my Classic to play better than any Standard I've ever played. Maybe its psycological.
LP's arent heavy at all. unless youre a bitch... lol jk

ya seriously though its really not bad. of course its not goin to be something to swing around or play behind ur head, but in terms of just playing its not bad at all. i have a custom, so trust me :P
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by strangedogs
.. When I am on my death bed I shall always remember when I first turned a Marshall 100-Watt Superlead (1970 Model) to 10. I felt it in my chest (I was facing it) and the Cops came within minutes. I was hooked then...

Awesome!!!
Page 1 of 2