Hey I am looking for a new amp.
I play metal most of the time, but would like to have some nice cleans too...
I play metal like Metallica, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Papa Roach, Bullet for my Valentine, Rammstein, Limp Bizkit...

I was thinking about:

ENGL Powerball:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Engl/Powerball_100_Head-01.html
Peavey 6505+
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481432
Peavey XXX
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481353

My price range is not higher than the Powerball, in Austria all amps are about 1400 ?...
I won't have more money so please don't say "save up a bit and get a recto..."

thx
Well, the 6505 is going to have mediocre cleans. The XXX's cleans are very meh. Go with the ENGL.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
^ i declare bull honkery.

the 6505 cleans can be great if you know how to eq, better with chorus.

the XXX's cleans were great. they sound very similar to my blues jr. maybe not as warm, but they're still very good.

the powerball is basically the juggernaugth in amp form. make sure you wear a steel cup when you play because it will kill you, rape you, and eat your f*cking costume. its intense.

but main thing to remember here, is the powerball is a very bright sounding amp, while the 6505 is dark (if anything, i'd say it's between those two). so the main thing to decide is weather you want bright or dark tones. arch enemy or jag panzer?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
i'd say out of those, the powerball, but i also agree with what derek says. But the powerball does have better cleans than the 5150, IMO.

also, have you thought about a framus cobra- that might be worth a look too. (i haven't tried it)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ it's a bit more expensive than the powerball dave. about $500 more.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ yeah, maybe. ah, i think i was getting confused with the savage- i think it's the same price as a savage.

still, in austria, it might be within budget (or close enough.. maybe).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
true.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

If you want a really good overall amp, with a ton of versatility, then the Powerball would be the way to go. But for the styles you listed, you'll want something with a darker tone, which the Powerball can't really offer. The Peavey 6505 would be great if metal is your main style. It has great metal tones, and a ton of gain. It's a very dark sounding amp, although, the bottom end can get a bit mushy at extreme volumes and gain settings. If you could get a Mesa Single Recto then that would be even better. It would nail the tones you're looking for.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
^ dude, no amp is more mettle than a powerball. it will crush all else. that amp defines asskickery.

and the 6505 won't get mushy when you crank it, since it's voiced in the low mids. it just destroys your face at all volume levels.

if anything, the recto will have mushy, flabby low en.d
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
^ dude, no amp is more mettle than a powerball. it will crush all else. that amp defines asskickery.

and the 6505 won't get mushy when you crank it, since it's voiced in the low mids. it just destroys your face at all volume levels.

if anything, the recto will have mushy, flabby low en.d

The 6505 I played got mushy at high volumes with the gain cranked (although, it was just the bottom end getting a little loose). I found the single Recto to be a very tight, punchy little amp. And I know that the Powerball is a fine metal amp, but I think that it's voiced a little brighter than what he wants.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by nic_2090
The 6505 I played got mushy at high volumes with the gain cranked (although, it was just the bottom end getting a little loose). I found the single Recto to be a very tight, punchy little amp. And I know that the Powerball is a fine metal amp, but I think that it's voiced a little brighter than what he wants.

ok, i'll give you that much. the single, imo, is tighter than duals, ect. but he could be after bright. he hasn't really given us any tones he wants. just stuff he plays.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565