Page 1 of 2
Jani Liimatainen is the lead guitarist for the finnish power metal band Sonata Arctica, they have reached great fame in japan.
He mainly uses ibanez guitars.
Please don't post until finished!

Main Guitars:

Ibanez Custom Shop Destroyer This is the guitar he is currently using for most gigs. Red sunburst finish, Floyd rose (edge pro), Sharktooth inlays, Bolt on neck. Mahogany Body.

Ibanez Custom Shop RG Dot inlays, Floyd rose, Bolt on neck. Mahogany Body.

Ibanez RG2120XTB (stock, Custom paint job)

Ibanez RG 1527CB (stock)

Ibanez USA CUSTOM RG "Street Wise"

Ibanez RG560

Ibanez JPM P4 (stock)
Last edited by Zofar at Jun 12, 2006,
Secondary guitars

Jackson Randy Rhoads (model unknown)

Yamaha acoustic (model unknown)

Yamaha bass (model unknown)

Tokai Love Rock LP

Fender American Stratocaster

Amps

Mesa/Boogie Triaxis preamp

Marshall JMP-1 preamp

Marshall 9100 poweramp

Line 6 ax2

Marshall 4x12 cabinets

Effects

T.C Electronics G-Major

Samson Wireless

Korg DTR-1000 tuner

Behringer FCB1010 midicontroller

Alright, thats it, I may edit it a bit, go into more detail, as of now, i have to leave.
Oh ok, sorry about the mix up.

GJ on your rig
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Last edited by ClassicAxe at Jun 12, 2006,
Quote by ClassicAxe
Umm, dude your supposed to sign up for this you cant just go and post...
And that isnt a GMajor :/

The person that was supposed to do it this month did not do it, I pm'ed beatallica_fan and he said to go ahead.

Heh, sorry about the Gmajor thing.
It's all fine and good...but I want to see actual pictures of HIS gear. It's fun to see what he uses, but I can go to GuitarGeek and see that kind of thing. And they aren't THAT new...regardless. Get some live pictures, spice it up with some descriptions and such. This is pretty decent, but I see it as rough draft quality, not a final draft.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
thanks a ton dude.....

i love this band and i didnt think anyone else had heard of them
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
hes is the best guitarist on earth... Don't agree? listen to distruction preventer
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
750% better than the one before. I never knew he used a JPM....baller. Good pics.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
I'm really confuesed about how the rackmout preamps work, do you change teh channles on it via MIDI footswitch? And do any MIDI footswitches work with any MIDI preamp?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Good job!
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Even though I like Sonata Arctica and have seen them live numerous times... I've never liked his tone.

But good job on this.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Even though I like Sonata Arctica and have seen them live numerous times... I've never liked his tone.

But good job on this.

Yeah, I find his tone makes it sound like there are 3 keyboards playing, not 2 and one guitar.
that could be the point.... and you're right
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
He's alright, the band is great... But I hate his solos. Somehow, they seem a bit clumsy to me.
Damn, i want a custom shop destroyer, ive only got a stock one which they dont sell anymore coz there wasnt enough demand . . .
Sonata Arctica kick ass.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
I like his tone...

I like keyboard solo tone so maybe that's why.

lol

hahahahha

i looked up the band and listened to them.

cheeese-tastic!

Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile

ROFL

look at his shirt in the pic with the camo guitar.

"I Vagina"

Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
lol

hahahahha

i looked up the band and listened to them.

cheeese-tastic!

Pfffrt, listen to Black Sheep, Kingdom For A Heart, Letter To Dana, My Land, Replica, Revontulet, San Sebastian, Shy, Tallulah, The End Of This Chapter, Unopened, Victoria's Secret

Then again, this is coming from the 80's mod... I am obliged to love cheese.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Pfffrt, listen to Black Sheep, Kingdom For A Heart, Letter To Dana, My Land, Replica, Revontulet, San Sebastian, Shy, Tallulah, The End Of This Chapter, Unopened, Victoria's Secret

Then again, this is coming from the 80's mod... I am obliged to love cheese.

Isn't Revontulet an instrumental?
Also don't forget Don't say a Word, The Misery, Misplaced an My Selene.

ROFL

look at his shirt in the pic with the camo guitar.

"I Vagina"

I think we all noticed that
His boots also kick ass on that pic

Edit2: Nice job on the review PMH. This dude's one of my favourite guitarists. He's very underrated though.
Last edited by Saintsatan at Jun 24, 2006,
Quote by Saintsatan
Isn't Revontulet an instrumental?
Also don't forget Don't say a Word, The Misery, Misplaced an My Selene.

Yes it is.

Click.
Yeah, so it cant be cheesy if its an instrumental. If you're looking for more instrumentals. Listen ot Reckoning Day, Reckoning night. Also a good instrumental though it's only keyboards.
Full Moon, Replica and Draw Me are their best songs, IMHO... The singer (Tony?) is quite a good songwriter, and he sings excellently.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I am shocked

sonata arctica, celeb rig? wow, now that's taste - never saw it coming, always curious about his rig too

the new sonata arctica DVD is real good, he uses 3 guitars mainly

the explorer style ibanez, the bursty-color RG, and the 7 string

sonata arctica isn't cheesy, people would cry over Letter to Dana, and My Selene is beautiful, not to mention some very great songs

yes there are some funnies (Victoria's Secret, "underwear music" as he once joked around, funny stuff - yet a great song too)
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Jun 29, 2006,
bunnies r cool
bananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta *pie*

Quote by Bmm386
I think they should make a GTA paris in like 1795.
Your only goal is to feed your family and keep your horse alive.

Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
it hit the twin towers, not the pentagon, idiot
Quote by HopePoisoned
I am shocked

sonata arctica, celeb rig? wow, now that's taste - never saw it coming, always curious about his rig too

sonata arctica isn't cheesy, people would cry over Letter to Dana, and My Selene is beautiful, not to mention some very great songs

yes there are some funnies (Victoria's Secret, "underwear music" as he once joked around, funny stuff - yet a great song too)

Completely agreed, even though some of the song names sound cheesy, its quality music, I love the solos in Victoria's Secret.

The singers English may be gramatically correct, but his pronounciation is downright horrible in some songs. It's much better on the later stuff though. The DVD is great, Don't Say A Word rocked my socks.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
The singers English may be gramatically correct, but his pronounciation is downright horrible in some songs. It's much better on the later stuff though. The DVD is great, Don't Say A Word rocked my socks.

i think the way he says things is perfect, it sounds just like him, and he sounds great - it's not so much his pronounciation and english, but rather just the way he talks (i mean, he has a little bit of english-is-a-second-language, but that's not the pronounciation)
-Mike
Quote by Demon Wolf

I really like the way his "english" sounds, its probably my favorite aspect of his singing. thats most likely why i like their first few ablums the most.
Jani Liimatainen is a great guitarist, and Sonata Arctica is an awesome band. nice job on the rig!
Jackson Guitars
CoUrTeSy of BedOfRazors509
I ****in love this dude and the band. One of my fav guitarists and bands.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Page 1 of 2