HELP

so ive been getin into alot of songwriting lately, ive been tryig to write songs only using scales to build up my ability, or fiting riffs ive made into scales, i have guitar pro 5and its fairly easy with that, but i want to know is there any dos and donts when writing, such as is there certain keys i should avoid?more popular keys? certain scales i should or shouldnt use, ive tried to find scales for what im writing ad sumtimes ill get sum crazy ass scale like jewish or korean and im thinking in my headwill that scale make the rest of it sound hindu??(no offense) or are these just scales invented by these cultures...someone help me or ill start burnin my music theory books
Quote by casualty01

btw, you're annoying me.

banned.

Cas-
why dont you just get a teacher?
im sure he'll straiten up everything..
Quote by ihavnofingrprnt
HELP

so ive been getin into alot of songwriting lately, ive been tryig to write songs only using scales to build up my ability, or fiting riffs ive made into scales, i have guitar pro 5and its fairly easy with that, but i want to know is there any dos and donts when writing, such as is there certain keys i should avoid?more popular keys? certain scales i should or shouldnt use, ive tried to find scales for what im writing ad sumtimes ill get sum crazy ass scale like jewish or korean and im thinking in my headwill that scale make the rest of it sound hindu??(no offense) or are these just scales invented by these cultures...someone help me or ill start burnin my music theory books

Use your music theory books, they're there to give you this information.

Perhaps if you're looking for some melodic control where you don't have to rely on the tonality of the scale to control the melody, you should indulge in modes.
i too mexican to afford a teacher, well i had one but he was a bit of a ass, and not because i play bad or wasnt listening, im a realy dedicated guitarist, he was basically just reading textbooks to me and i realy didnt feel that was worth paying for. in any case mayby i should look around for one, i just felt i should consult sum UGers wisdom before i go nuts.
Quote by casualty01

btw, you're annoying me.

banned.

Cas-
call me stupid but i dont understand modes i know theyre sum were along the lines of keys, and ive only heard about them in a few scales, can you list a few that use modes
Quote by casualty01

btw, you're annoying me.

banned.

Cas-
I guess you should start in the key of C. The notes for the key of C are: C, D, E, F, G, A, and B.
The Chords are C Major, D minor, E minor, F Major, G Major, A minor and B diminished. If you stick to those chords while writing and notes while soloing, it should be good.

I'll leave the modes to someone else, i'm not too good at explaining them.
Modes:
Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian

Each of these modes are not technically scales, but rather a set of notes that have their own function from the root of the major scale
^Modes = Scales. No ifs ands or buts about it... get as much into semantics as you want. Modes = scales, always.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by ihavnofingrprnt
i too mexican to afford a teacher.

no desire to start a quarrell, but is it really necessary to generalize and stereotype a whole group of people...

as for the songs, i recommend throwing down what comes natural and then fine tuning or tweaking what u have with your theory knowledge
sry my being mexican was suppose to be a bit of humor, no flaming mexico or nothin, thanks guys il try what you said
Quote by casualty01

btw, you're annoying me.

banned.

Cas-
Modes are basically taking a major scale and playing the same notes, but using a different starting point. Example:

C Major has the notes C, D, E, F, G, A, and B. The major scale is called the Ionian mode. It is basically the major scale with a modal name. So in this example, it would start on C.

C major Ionian: C D E F G A B C

The next note in C major is D. So if you play all the notes in C major, but start and end on D instead of C, you would be playing in the key of D Dorian.

You can do this for each note of the scale. In C major, the modes are.

C Ionian: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
D Dorian: D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D
E Phrygian: E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E
F Lydian: F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F
G Mixolydian: G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G
A Aeolian: A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A
B Locrian: B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B

All modes are are taking a major scale, and, using the same notes, but starting and ending on a different note. Each mode has it's own flavor and feel, so it is used widely in music.

I hope that helped
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Jun 12, 2006,