Is is wrong to learn in drop D? I am teaching my sister who is only 10 and so has small hands and cant quite make chord shapes, even power chords. She has a half size accoustic but that is hard to play on so she plays my guitar in drop D. This way she can play all the songs she likes easily with just barred fingers up and down the neck. I figure if she enjoys this it is positive and will help her speed and strumming, but is it a bad way to go about thing.
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
shes only 10...
sounds great to me.
My Gear
Agile AL-3000 Prestige Slim Profile Neck
Schecter C-1 PLUS
Washburn WD18SW Solid-Wood Acoustic
Vox AD30vt with the VFS2 footswitch
Fender PT-100 tuner
Vox wah pedal
nah, unless you buy her a nic little guitar its good. wait till she grows then introduce Standard E tuning. its actually good cause she will build up easier
Well, from a practical standpoint, seeing as how she's ten, then there isn't really a problem with having her learn her pop-punk riffs in drop D. When she gets really serious about guitar then she'll start moving out of drop D.

From a muscian's standpoint, she should learn in standard tuning, but she's just a ten year old so she likely isn't trying to become the next Santana.

It would be worthwhile to teach her some non-powerchord riffs in standard tuning though.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Why would it be wrong? Learning to play guitar in drop d isn't bad to do, as long as she can adapt to eadgbe tuning, and any other tunings she wants to use. Who made eadgbe the "right" way to play guitar. No one. You can play guitar in any tuning you want to and as long as you are making music no one can complain.

Quote by Kutanmoogle
From a muscian's standpoint, she should learn in standard tuning, but she's just a ten year old so she likely isn't trying to become the next Santana.

Since when did "musicians" play in Eadgbe tuning. Last time I checked the only instruments that you will be messing with the tuning on are stringed instruments and I doubt that cello, violin, and harps are going to be changing their tunings very often. From a guitarist's standpoint she should at least be introduced to standard tuning because many other guitarists use this tuning. Playing in that tuning isn't going to make her better. If anything playing in random or odd tunings will help her more because then she can start to understand the theory behind the music not just, "oh, I need to use (insert any scale pattern or chord pattern here) because they won't work in tunings that aren't comprised of Eadgbe and their respective intervals. Many people just go through the same old licks and same old progressions because guitar is an easy instrument to do that on. All you have to do is switch postitions to play in a different key. That is not so with other instruments. It takes effort and thought to be able to change keys and things, that is the musician's standpoint.

To Kutanmoogle: Not saying that you are not a musician brother, just making a point.
Last edited by myvaliantleap at Jun 12, 2006,
eadgbe gives the most logical fingerings for scales and chords though
Tool kicks ass
It's best for her to learn in standard, sorry. At that age, she may be confused later on when introduced to a different tuning.
i would recommend standard E tuning first, granted as ^ said who made E standard the right tuning (i use BADGBE and all sorts of other wacky tunings) BUT most guitars are tuned to E so if she's ever out and sees a guitar and goes 'btw check this out' and its in E, she's totally effed y'know?
well some good stuff said thanks guys, but she has played guitar for over a year and knows E and plays some riffs like that, but cant play chords just riffs and solos
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
Go standard! It won't be easy at first, but it'll definitely pay off. And keep her motivated, haha. Learning something at a young age = yay.
If you speak the truth, have a foot in the stirrup