Im in a band (lead guitar (me), rythm guitar, drums, bass, piano) and the rythm guitarist just cant keep a steady rythm

If i ask him to play like F, D, G, C, chord progression, with a up stroke and downstroke on each chord, he cant do it in 4/4 time, he will switch to like 2/4 to 7/8 to whatever

do i tell him to lave or are there things i can do to get him better at rythm

he is my friend and i dont want to just kick him out

what should i do?????
If he can't keep up with what the band is doing, he is just holding you back. If you and the rest of the band are ok with that, then keep him and work with him to make him better. Have him practice to a metronome. If you and the rest of the band mates want to move on, you need to find another guy.
sometimes a guitarist just gets stuck in a rhythm and the best way out is practise, against a metronome or play with a song in 4/4, 3/4, etc....if not see if he could shake a tambourine, maybe maracas?
Just Work with him as myvaliantleap said.
"VANDALISM: Beautiful As A Rock In A Cop's Face."
Kurt Cobain
if he doesnt get bettter give him the boot
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Get some rhythm counting flash cards.

Have him sit there and be like "1 2 and-a 3 e-a 4 and"

SERVE EM GOOD
if the rest of the band is ready to gig then youll probably have to find another rhythm guitarist. they are not that hard to find. beleive me!
Get him to count the time for himself, have him literally say 1,2,3,4 or 1and2and3and4and etc.
If he's a ryhtym guitarist who can't keep ryhtym... well i'd suggest you find a new ryhtym guitarist or are patient enouhg to deal with him tillhe comes good enough.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Buy him a metronome
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...