Here's my shot at a metal song. Don't take the genre label too seriously, that's just what I think best describes it.

My guitar tone is way too light though. Can't get anything heavy out of it =(

Anyways, yada yada, crit for crit.

http://horriblemusic.dmusic.com

The solo's pretty sloppy and will most likely be redone
wow......right out of the gate......

this sounds trippy as hell,......guitars, rhythm, lead, drums........

Trippy in a good way.

I do think that sometimes the timing is a bit off, with the guitars keeping in time with the drums.

Lead tone is a bit weak, add some delay.

3:11 takes a completely different direction to the song, cool though. It just contributes to the overall weirdness of this piece.

A bit sloppy in a few places, partially due to the timing with the drums. They do sound a bit awkward though. Damn drum machines.

Very strange tune. I liked it though.

Check out mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373272
Last edited by GardenGnome26 at Jun 12, 2006,
^ Would you by any chance know how I might adjust the settings on my amp/guitar to get a heavier sound? I think the reason why I can't get a good sound is cause I have a $99 guitar from China...with a Budweiser logo on its otherwise blank box...

Anyways...

I gave all three songs a listen =)

The Seek and Destroy cover is quite great. You kept the rhthym prety well, and I like the stereo-workings. It's too bad this doesn't have bass or drums... Nice job on the solo though =)

Summer has a pretty rockin' intro. Pretty good vocals, though they could use some work.

Taco Hell's my favorite of the three. Nice lead work there, sounds quite awesome.
Listened to the one called "Metal Song". Some good ideas, the guitar tone is a little thin and fizzy, but that seems to be a common issue on this particular site. Sometimes, your playing on this sounds as though you are a little unsure of yourself, but overall not bad. I would like to hear this with a more real sounding (less DI box sounding) guitar. I like the tune. It does seem to get a little repitious after a minute or so. Still listening and it is like "this part again?". Keep at it

How bout checking mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376336
Quote by yawn
^ Would you by any chance know how I might adjust the settings on my amp/guitar to get a heavier sound?

Gain helps, but don't overdo it. You could also try altering the formation of the chord.
^ I've already got gain up at 75%

To be honest my tone sounds the same regardless whether my gain is at 0 or 10.

/crappy guitar
I liked it a lot. It travels through a number of genres, not just metal. Some notes sounded out place, in the wrong key or something. I think you should speed up the part where it kind of slows down. I liked the solo, but again some notes just sounded like they didn't belong. 7/10
Quote by yawn
^ I've already got gain up at 75%

To be honest my tone sounds the same regardless whether my gain is at 0 or 10.

/crappy guitar

well mine was actually the same. then i turned UP the bass and trebulance and the Middle down. it gave me a real heavy feel
Quote by Gibson_Left
sick riffabe bro! sloppy solo tho fix it and it'll all be good.

check mine out? www.myspace.com/sendjetpacksquick
The clips sound pretty good. Albeit short, the sampler suggests a pretty tight band that definitely knows how to build an organic and dynamic sound. I must admit it doesn't always sound "new" or "innovative", but your band has a good sound to it that'll most likely win over a lot of fans

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
well mine was actually the same. then i turned UP the bass and trebulance and the Middle down. it gave me a real heavy feel
Yeah I've tried that and it definitely makes it sound heavier live, but it never seems to capture that when I record it onto my computer.
Last edited by yawn at Jun 14, 2006,
Yawn, a DI box is just a unit that turns an unbalanced signal into a balanced one. In the old days before modeleres and such, we really struggled with the problem of getting tones to tape without a mic and amp. It was basically if you wanted a good tone, you cranked up a Mesa or Marshall, mic'd it, did some post EQing nad there you go. However when writing and not at the studio, perhaps on the bus or back home, you needed a way to get something recorded without waking up half the world around you, so DI boxes were used to send the amps preamp out into the board.

ADA and Palmer and Sansamp came up with some workable solutions, although they still needed a ton of EQ work to be useable. One of the pitfalls of DI is that most boxes had no speaker emulation, because they weren't origianlly made for that purpose (direct guitar recording). A speaker has a naturla high roll off, so if you take and amp, run it through a DI box, you get a rreally fizzy trebly sound. Go through a 4X12 with Celstians or EVs (or in my case, 4 4x12's with both Celestians and EVs, gotta love Boogie) then you get the cool high frequency roll off.

Enter Line 6 and their ilk. Someone said hmmm, I bet I can digitally simuate amps and cabs... now you got 50 different products designed to sound like a mic'd amp. Most fail miserably. Even the early Pods were no substitute for the real thing. I swore I would never play through one of these crappy gizmos, real tubes for me all the way. But the technology has come a long way. I have done studio rcordings using Pods and if you know what to listen for, you can tell it's not real, but man they come damn cose these days.

However, 90% of guitarists that use modelers jsut simply cannot dial them in, therefore even when using a decent product, their tone still sounds DI box -ish.
Trippy as hell dude! Add some distortion.... It's not metal without distortion.
^ Actually I have a ton of distortion...

That's about as distorted as my amp/guitar combo gets
Listen to my "Demonized" I am using a Mesa Boogie Modeller from my Vox ToneLab that I got off ebay for $200. Tell me if you like the tone.